Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little late to the game on this one (it was published late last month), but I found it interesting enough to share. I hope no one else has already posted it!

"Proud non-reader" Kanye West turns author

My favorite part of the article, besides the obvious irony in the title and point of the piece?

"Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed," West said. "I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph.

"I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life," he said.
...And Kanye, he knows a thing or two about self-absorption.

I guess we won't see him endorsing the Kindle any time soon! Unless, of course, he makes his -- ahem -- "Kanye-isms" available in ebook format.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I strongly suspect that the reviews were a better read than the book would be.

It's depressing that there will actually be fans of his who buy this thinking it's deep.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
:D

What I don't get is how he could be a college drop-out. 
I mean, to drop out you have to have managed to get in...    ???

·
Registered
918 Posts
Susan in VA said:
:D

What I don't get is how he could be a college drop-out.
I mean, to drop out you have to have managed to get in... ???
you is so funny

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Here's what impresses me:

"His book is 52 pages -- some blank, others with just a few words -- and offers his optimistic philosophy on life. One two-page section reads, "Life is 5% what happens and 95% how you react!" Another page reads "I hate the word hate!"

"This is a collection of thoughts and theories," West, 31, said in an interview about his spiral-bound volume, which was written with J. Sakiya Sandifer."

52 pages, some blank, some with only a few words - and he needed to write it WITH someone???  

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
THAT is completely ridiculous... watch it be a Best Seller... just because all of his fans will HAVE to have it!!!! YEESH! :mad:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Oh I wasn't speaking about any of the comments here, I just meant the story in general. Hope no one thought I was referring to their post.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The sad part is that maybe, just maybe, if he would have put a little effort into it MAYBE he could have pulled out something worth reading.

I don't know Kanye's life story past that he's a singer/rapper and I know a few of his songs. But everyone has a story and if you manage to become famous while doing what you love I'm sure you could turn that into a positive book. Along the way you can tell your life story and leave with a positive message.

Instead it seems like he wanted jump on the "celebritys get attention and make money for doing anything/nothing" bandwagon. Paris Hilton is also still searching for her new BFF (best friend forever) in season 2, Yes thats right 2nd season. She chose a bff in her 1st season but that didn't work out so she needs a 2nd season to help her find a new BFF! It's crazy but people will but it and they will watch it. So the rich get richer for half the effort!

Edited to add: I'm not a hater/bigot, I do think their are several good celebrities  and wealthy famous people out there. There are ones that do good things with the oppurtunities and money they have been blessed with. I was just on a little rant above and wanted to come back and add in that I know there are good and bad among all walks of life.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
koolmnbv said:
The sad part is that maybe, just maybe, if he would have put a little effort into it MAYBE he could have pulled out something worth reading.

I don't know Kanye's life story past that he's a singer/rapper and I know a few of his songs. But everyone has a story and if you manage to become famous while doing what you love I'm sure you could turn that into a positive book. Along the way you can tell your life story and leave with a positive message.
But if he did that, remember, Kanye would be "so wordy and so self-absorbed," like other people who write novels. And he is not a fan of books. He co-wrote (!) Kanye West Presents Thank You and You're Welcome simply to set the record straight when it comes to his "Kanye-isms," because, he says, "I get paraphrased and misquoted all the time."

I'm gonna quote my "favorite" part of the article again, because I still can't believe someone (especially someone with a university English professor for a mother!) could say this with a straight face:

"Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed," West said. "I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph.

"I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life," he said.
That just blows my little mind.

·
Registered
364 Posts
"Life is 5% what happens and 95% how you react!"
This is actually quite profound. Not very original, but I'm impressed that he knows it enough to actually write it down. Or maybe that was the ghost-writer part...<G>

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Meredith Sinclair said:
THAT is completely ridiculous... watch it be a Best Seller... just because all of his fans will HAVE to have it!!!! YEESH! :mad:
Do you think his fans know how to read?

ETA: After reading the reviews, I LOL even harder. 2 of the 6 even deny buying the book, one got it as a gift and the other borrowed it from a friend, or are they just too embarrased to admit they bought it? I would be!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Part of me wonders if this is just him talking to his fan base, or better yet, putting on whoever was interviewing him.  If not, his poor mother is probably rolling over in her grave.  I've heard him say some stupid stuff, and I've heard him sound reasonably intelligent.  But to say "I would never want a book's autograph"...eek.

Plus:  "West, a college dropout, said being a non-reader was helpful when he wrote his book because it gave him "a childlike purity." "

Unfortunately what he said makes you remember that one man's "childlike purity" is another man's "ignorance".

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I have never seen nor heard anything by him that impressed me in a positive way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts