Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any recent threads about issues with Pubit, but I've seen authors mentioning them in other threads.

I'm trying to upload a new book today and am having a couple of different issues:

I've used Scrivener and compiled the book in epub format, then uploaded to Pubit. When I checked it in the previewer, all of my spacing had been stripped out, even though they're still showing in Scrivener. This means my section headers but right up against my text, with no break in between. I had uploaded another book to Pubit months ago, again using Scrivener to convert the file, and I didn't have this issue at that time.

When I try to upload my cover, I get the little twirly icon like it's uploading, but then nothing happens. I still have a box saying "No Cover Yet".

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. I'm getting stressed. :p Kobo worked like a charm, but there's no built in previewer, so I don't know if I have the same issue there with the spacing. I've tried downloading the preview via Writing Life and looking at it in Kobo for PC, but that's not working.

Yeah, so sometimes I do think it'd be nice to be traditionally published, so I wouldn't have to deal with issues like this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheryl M. said:
Check your compile settings in Scrivener. What you see on the screen and what your compile formatting looks like are not the same thing unless you check compile as-is.
Yeah, I went through this and everything is as it should be. Nothing is being replaced, and all section boxes have the "compile as-is" checked. I'll have another look at it later, when my blood pressure has leveled off. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Victoria, thank you SO much for your help--you're a lifesaver. I've had very little experience with both Kobo and PubIt, so I haven't figured out their idiosyncrasies yet--I finally just figured out how to deal with KDP borking my mobi files on the Paperwhite and Fire. Gotta love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Nicole Ciacchella said:
Victoria, thank you SO much for your help--you're a lifesaver. I've had very little experience with both Kobo and PubIt, so I haven't figured out their idiosyncrasies yet--I finally just figured out how to deal with KDP borking my mobi files on the Paperwhite and Fire. Gotta love it.
Have you downloaded the new Scrivener updated version? It fixes the Kindle font bugs. Just compile for mobi as normal and there is no problem anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
Nicole Ciacchella said:
Yeah, I went through this and everything is as it should be. Nothing is being replaced, and all section boxes have the "compile as-is" checked. I'll have another look at it later, when my blood pressure has leveled off. :p
You can get into the CSS in Scrivener to see what's going on. Have you run it through an epub checker?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Victoria Champion said:
Have you downloaded the new Scrivener updated version? It fixes the Kindle font bugs. Just compile for mobi as normal and there is no problem anymore.
I updated a month or so ago, so I'll have to look into this. I'm working on a serial now so I'll be dealing with mobis again soon. Thanks for this advice too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
Victoria, thanks!

I haven't uploaded to PubIt or Kobo yet so just to be clear:

a paragraph break = hitting the "return" key once
a line break = hitting the "return" key 2 times

Is this correct or have I misunderstood?

Are there any pitfalls we should know about with Apple?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Ruth Harris said:
Victoria, thanks!

I haven't uploaded to PubIt or Kobo yet so just to be clear:

a paragraph break = hitting the "return" key once
a line break = hitting the "return" key 2 times

Is this correct or have I misunderstood?

Are there any pitfalls we should know about with Apple?
You should be able to 'show invisibles' in your word processing program - I know you can in Scrivener. Invisibles are the formatting symbols - paragraph and line breaks, spaces represented by dots, etc... . You need to have this switched on to fully understand what I am talking about - and then you can modify your formatting by simply looking at the symbols and inserting what needs to be where.

Hitting the return key is not something I can advise represents a paragraph or a line break as this is different for different programs and can be customized. In your program's options you can usually choose 'insert line break', etc... . In Scrivener it's in the menu under 'Edit'.

For myself, I have not uploaded to Apple directly and plan to use D2D for that when I get the invite. I'll be sending them an epub and hopefully they will sort it out.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top