Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Public Radio International call for short-story submissions, deadline March 15 with a 750-word max. Topic is complicated families.

From the website: Submissions are now open for the 2013 Stella Kupferberg Memorial Short Story Prize!
The winning submission, selected by Jim Shepard, will be read as part of the Selected Shorts performance at Symphony Space on June 12, 2013.

http://www.selectedshorts.org/2013/01/writing-contest-call-for-submissions/

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BrianKittrell said:
Hmmmmmmmmm.... complicated families.......... and what does that mean?
no idea. :D Maybe they've deliberately left it open to interpretation. could be about a family of hedgehogs...and the mother hedgehog is a slut.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hello, I would like to submit but cannot think of a family uncomplicated enough to be described in 750 words.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LKRigel said:
I should submit Bundle of Love ... but I think it's over 750 words. That's short!
I actually thought of Bundle! But you can't submit previously published stories. That leaves out pretty much all of my shorts, which means I would actually have to write a new one. After I finally kicked the short-story habit. Flash fiction is crack to me. I'm working on my novel today, trying not to think about this short story thing. But damn. My brain keeps going back there.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Anne Frasier said:
no idea. :D Maybe they've deliberately left it open to interpretation. could be about a family of hedgehogs...and the mother hedgehog is a slut.

I'm just wondering where the need to call a theoretical hedgehog a "slut" would come from.

That aside - complicated families could be easy - blended families, adoptive families - both of young children, and young adults, making a choice about blood relations vs. the family you make.

The only problem is fitting it into 750 words. :p

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Anne Frasier said:
I actually thought of Bundle! But you can't submit previously published stories. That leaves out pretty much all of my shorts, which means I would actually have to write a new one. After I finally kicked the short-story habit. Flash fiction is crack to me. I'm working on my novel today, trying not to think about this short story thing. But d*mn. My brain keeps going back there.
This cracks me up.

I'm finally learning to write "longer" instead of shorter. It would be dangerous to switch brains at this point. And I'm winding down to the end on Kiss Me Hello. I shouldn't even be here! (said everybody always)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rin said:

I'm just wondering where the need to call a theoretical hedgehog a "slut" would come from.
That's because in my world most mothers are evil. :D so i'm thinking Marnie, but with hedgehogs.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Anne Frasier said:
You should write a one-sentence story!!!!!!!!! Really!
I know. :) But, well, the usual rate of diction is something like 155 words per minute, meaning some poor bastard would have to (try to...) read a single sentence that lasted (750 / 155) just under five minutes, and that's a really, really, really cruel thing to do to someone. (As the narrator of the audiobook of a certain story about a goat, which has a few more reasonably lengthy bits, can probably attest.) Also, in writing, beyond about 300 words, people tend to forget how the sentence began, I've found, and I think it's even worse when listening to something spoken. (Terminal punctuation, people. It's not just a good idea, it's a great idea.) So the poor guy or gal would at long last come gasping and wheezing, blue-faced, to the triumphant conclusion, and not only would the majority of listeners no longer remember how it began, they wouldn't remember the midpoint, either. Besides, if I did get on the radio, I'd like my twelve seconds of almost-fame to leave people with some kind of positive impression - "George Berger is a funny guy", "George Berger is an okay writer", something like that. "George Berger is an unintelligibly long-winded windbag" isn't really helpful.

Also, the grammar and punctuation of a sentence that long are... non-trivial. The last time I posted something here on KB of ridiculous length, an English major posted they were going to try and diagram the thing, for fun.

That was a year ago, and they haven't posted since. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts