Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
It's a bogus list if it doesn't include indies. Useless. It's like giving the list of the world's richest college grads, and leaving off all the people who never graduated, but may have earned more money than their..uh, better bred brethren.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
There are no independent ebooks because they don't know. The figures they have for individual books comprise such a small proportion that including them would greatly underestimate independents. Everyone knows the elephant is flying overhead, but it's still under the radar.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Article says -- "Most publishers complied with the written instructions and so we were inundated with long lists of e-book topsellers, and what a picture it paints of a changed sales landscape for book product. Looking at these lists provided some fascinating insights into the world of e-books ..."

Notice they got their figures from publishers and as we all know, no one is asking us. If they did, I could prove my books should be on that list. Oh well, maybe we need to be a little more aggressive or put up our own lists.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hugh Howey said:
There was a list like that going for a while. I would love to see it updated. The number of indies who had sold 10K, 20K, 50K was amazing.
I would love to see this resurrected too. I know many indies who would be on the PW list.

Here's that Kindle Review list of indies... I wonder who I have to bake cookies to make that happen again.

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
It's amusing to watch the traditional publishing world's growing epiphany, wow, them digital books sure seem popular.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
And, we don't have publishers taking their cut off the top. I sell for $4.99 and get $3.46 out of it. I wonder how many traditionally published books one has to sell to make the same amount. I don't know what they make these days, but number of books sold and amount of money made is clearly two different things. I bet we outdo a lot of them money wise.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Martitalbott said:
And, we don't have publishers taking their cut off the top. I sell for $4.99 and get $3.46 out of it. I wonder how many traditionally published books one has to sell to make the same amount. I don't know what they make these days, but number of books sold and amount of money made is clearly two different things. I bet we outdo a lot of them money wise.
An excellent point - although it goes both ways. Indies can also sell a LOT of copies at 99cents. I wonder which is most informative for an indie database - dollars earned or sales? Or both?

ETA: I'm seriously mulling what it would take to automate something like this - have a database entry system. Have someone doing some cursory checks for validity, but basically have it generate some "indie bestseller" lists every month. Maybe top sellers in terms of units moved as well as top earners. Maybe also have a threshold counter, so people could enter without having their names displayed - i.e. XX indie authors sold over $500 this month, etc.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Susan Kaye Quinn said:
An excellent point - although it goes both ways. Indies can also sell a LOT of copies at 99cents. I wonder which is most informative for an indie database - dollars earned or sales? Or both?

ETA: I'm seriously mulling what it would take to automate something like this - have a database entry system. Have someone doing some cursory checks for validity, but basically have it generate some "indie bestseller" lists every month. Maybe top sellers in terms of units moved as well as top earners. Maybe also have a threshold counter, so people could enter without having their names displayed - i.e. XX indie authors sold over $500 this month, etc.
Sounds like a really big project. I would be willing to let you see my monthly sales reports as proof, but not sure others would. Are you just thinking Kindle or all venues? For me, that would be impossible when it comes to Apple, since those numbers are often posted months behind, or so it seems on Smashwords. Still, I think it would be great to have something out there to draw attention to those who work very hard, writing and marketing books that aren't suppose to "make it."

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
Susan Kaye Quinn said:

You can display data from an Access database with PHP. So you would need someone that knows Access and PHP (or an equivalent) to create something like you described. The problem is that you can have someone who sells a million ebook in March, but if they don't enter their data into your database, they wouldn't show up on the indie best seller list. So you would also need to get some big names to help you get the word out about your project. Hugh, Harvey? ;D

I would make it simple, at least to start. Like, "Enter title, and enter your units sold as displayed in your KDP dashboard here". That way you keep out the borrowed and free download units out. Anyway, sounds like an exciting project. Good luck (if you go for it)!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This could be crazy big and a time-suck, but I keep thinking there must be a way to use our automated tools to make it easy.

ONE WAY: The honor system. Then a database like Alan's discussing could be used, you'd just need a portal set up to have people log in their data. But it's the honor system, and while I trust people not to inflate their numbers, it takes away some of the legitimacy.

SECOND WAY: Have people submit their Amazon reports (keep it simple, just Amazon for now). Use something like Trackerbox to suck them in and quickly rank. This has the benefit of being legit numbers from Amazon, but then authors would have to trust the organizers enough to submit their reports. Maybe we could automate that part, even, with the help of Trackerbox creator Mark Fassett. There's no SSN's or anything on those reports - I'd be willing to submit mine, but I'm not sure if other people would.

We could incentivize people at all levels to participate by highlighting a book in each bracket to highlight each month.

Both still rely on people submitting data each month (an email list could be created to prompt people, but lives are busy, etc.)

In the end, this is really just recreating data that Amazon already has - it would be great if they would share some of their numbers! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts