Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a quick calculation from ingram of how much it would cost to print and ship my book and it came up with this for a singular person sale, so this is not a calc for a bookstore, but what of these costs would i be responsible for if i had book returns from a book store
$ 3.95$ 3.95
Handling Fee$ 1.99
Subtotal$ 5.94
Shipping$ 4.05
Tax$ 0.60
Total$ 10.59

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
do you know of other print od printers that are in other parts of the world, because i want the price to be just as low in europe as it is in the usa, so the buyer doesnt have to pay big shipping fees and returns, shipped locally

·
Registered
348 Posts
Readers can't buy from IngramSparks directly, they have to buy from a store, so taxes and shipping + handling aren't part of it. (It is part of the equation if you buy author copies, but that means you are paying just for the cost to print and not the list price less wholesaler discount.)

Basically, you have a list price, the price the book is sold for, less a discount (if any). From that amount, Ingram deducts the cost to print and then you're paid the rest. For example (and made the math simple for this).

Book List price: +$10.00
Less 30% discount: -$3.00
Less cost to print: -$3.00
Earnings per book: $4.00

They actually have a calculator available to figure out what you'd earn per book based on pages (cost to print) and discount to help determine a list price that will net you more than a few pennies.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
IngramSpark prints in the UK and Australia, not just the US: Locations - Print and Distribution Worldwide | ingram Content Group. If you enable Global Connect distribution, they also have print partners in many other countries: Global Book Distribution with IngramSpark | Access 40K+ Retailers & Libraries.

As to returns, it's up to the publisher to allow them or not. If you don't allow returns, then it's a moot point. If you do choose to allow returns: Understanding Book Returns with IngramSpark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 (following question summed up) im wondering basically this math calculation ( wholesale - myshare = ? ) )

(long version) i was basically trying to figure out what the full wholesale cost includes minus my share (wholesale-myshare=?) which would include printing and misc charges, that calculation i did above was a quote from a ingram calulator that i put my info in and its what i came up with
"print and ship orders directly to yourself or to your customers."
and the above numbers is the result.
what are the full costs if i had a book return that i would be resoncible for based off the above calculation 4$? 6$?(theorecitally i know the likelyhood of being stocked is low)are there other fees that ingram charge that im not seeing in this calcuation i am self publishing with no publisher

i just used a ingram calculator called this "Use this tool to determine how much you will be paid on your print titles sold through the distribution channels. " i set retale at 4 and wholesale discount at 0 and got this number, can i have the whole sale cost as little at 4 dollars(bare minimum costs to make it) or what is the bare miniumum costs
Print Charge
$ 3.95
Publisher Compensation
$ 0.05

·
Registered
787 Posts
You cannot set the wholesale discount lower than 30% with IngramSpark (35% in certain geographic markets). Use the tools properly and they'll tell you exactly what you're asking. The basic publisher compensation formula is as follows:

[retail list price * (1 - wholesale discount)] - print cost = publisher compensation

A book with a $10 list price, 30% wholesale discount, and $3 print cost would yield:

[$10 * (1 - .3)] - $3 = $4

As to returns (if you choose to allow them - I don't): Understanding Book Returns with IngramSpark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
im trying to figure out the fees that are charged by ingram/whoever else is involved, so i can try to set my royalties at 0

if i have a book return and the book costs 4 dollars to print, is there any other fees invlolved does ingram charge a handleing fee, if the book return was set to return to ingram and have them destroy it, and i kept all the money i may have gained, if i take into account that im giveing back whatever money i gained how much will i be in the hole 4 dollars per book?
is the answer im looking for 4 dollars or is it 4 plus some sort of handleing fee or whatever else(if fully returned and all my gainings on that book returned as well)

basically what im asking is how much will i be in the hole after 1 book return
wholesale - myshare = ? (wholesale minus my share of that wholesale is what?)4 dollars? (the ingram calculator says it costs 4 dollars to print it)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 is it possible to not put a price on the isbn and if so, will this cause problems, do book stores want prices on the book or do they care. it would leave the customer clueless of the price if the store didnt put a sticker on it, i want to do this so that the book store can up the retail price if they need to justify buying the book

2 i read somewhere that ingram also sells their book through amazon also and that you are charged double cost because of ingram fees and amazons fees is this true and can i opt out of that and have each be separate and not have double fees. and vise versa amazon on ingram?

·
Registered
787 Posts
1. Yes. It's not likely you'll get on physical store shelves anyway.

2. Yes, IngramSpark distributes to Amazon. The terms for a print sale through Amazon are exactly the same as for a sale through any other retail outlet in that geographic market. You cannot avoid Amazon for print distribution through IngramSpark. You can opt out of having IngramSpark distribute an ebook to Amazon, but I don't recommend IS for ebook distribution at all. Go direct where you can (KDP, B&N, Kobo, Apple Books, Google Play) and use Draft2Digital, Smashwords, or something similar to reach the rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts