Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any experience with publishing their screenplays to Kindle and what have they been? Favorable or a waste of time. Just wondering...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don't think anything you believe in is a waste of time.  However, the formatting may be tough with spacing and tabs, etc.  I know poetry can be hard beacuse of the screen size of the Kindle (and other ereaders, etc.)

But I'm not sure though... would be interesting to read a screenplay on Kindle...

-jb 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just published a poetry on there and yes, formatting for that did worry me a bit. I'm just wondering how screenplays may sell on Kindle. I've heard those that like 'em really like Kindle just for reading screenplays, but I have to think like poetry it's a small market...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Um, why would you do this? Like, what is your goal? Do you want to get it produced? Do you hope to impress someone enough that you can land an agent and then assignment work? it's just not clear to me what you're going for here. If it's either of those two things, I don't think you can hope to publish to kindle and then expect to charge people who get literally more screenplays than they can read in a lifetime thrown at them every year. If you were able to make it free, and combined it with an awesome marketing plan, maybe it could get you some exposure and an agent, but you might have a hard time selling it to someone who could actually make it into a movie once it was on Amazon for free (assuming you could engineer this).

If your market is aspiring screenwriters...they have access to a bazillion free screenplays, and they only really have interest in reading either what's hot right now and garnering buzz, or classics; that is, instructive stuff. Also, they all work in the industry, or are industry-adjacent, and they spread them around amongst each other. They are probably not going to pay to read a screenplay by someone not in the industry.

Other than that, I can't think of anyone who reads screenplays regularly, so I'm not sure why you want to publish to kindle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just wondering if screenplays would sell well on Kindle...that's all my question was about. Nothing about getting it produced or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
jwholmes2011 said:
I was just wondering if screenplays would sell well on Kindle...that's all my question was about. Nothing about getting it produced or anything like that.
Ah. I think probably not, given what most people who write screenplays are trying to accomplish, and the market they're trying to do it in. There are a couple of awesome screenwriting sites out there, although several have become pay only. Script shadow.blogspot.com is still a functioning community, even if they can no longer post scripts (no one can; they started suing). There are a couple others... Screenwriting tips.tumblr.com... (ignore the spaces, it's just stupid autocorrect). There are more, but I don't remember them. There's also a critique site for screenplays, but you have to sign away a 90 day option to post anything. (If I remember the name of that, I'll post it, but it should be very googleable.)

Those are probably better places to try to get your work seen by people who are interested in reading screenplays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts