Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiction - Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (Random House) $9.99

History - The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family by Annette Gordon-Reed (W.W. Norton & Company) $16.47 $11.99 as of 4/22/09 now $9.99

Biography - American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham (Random House) $9.99

Poetry - The Shadow of Sirius by W.S. Merwin (Copper Canyon Press) Not on Kindle $17.16

General Nonfiction - Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II by Douglas A. Blackmon (Doubleday) $9.99

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Does a Pulitzer mean anything other than some certain group of selectors picked it? Oscars mean nothing to movies unless one has identical tastes and preferences to the selectors. I'd suspect it's the same with the Pulitzer prize and that it's primarily a big name and not much else. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I need to, by about 40 pounds or so, but I don't think that applies to my question. I'm just curious if winning a Pulitzer really means anything. Do people buy books just because they're Pulitzer Prize winners or do they read the jacket flaps and choose/buy based solely on whether that's intriguing or not? What about Newberry Prize or any of the others? Are there any that truly mean something as far as sales or is it just an ego thing for the author primarily? Just trying to generate some thoughtful discussion that's perhaps a little livelier than usual.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
I don't buy a book just because it's a Pulitzer Prize winner... but that credential is enough to make me pause and consider a book that I might otherwise have overlooked.

Of those books, I'd probably read the Andrew Jackson one first.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
To respond to the prior question regarding the Oscars.... I worked in movie theatres for ten years, and when a movie won an Oscar, particularly one of the top prizes, they would re-release the film and people would pack the theatre.... So yes, Oscars do indeed help ticket sales.

For me, I don't pay much attention to the Pulitzer, but I do try to read all of the Newberry winners.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clarifying, Leo. I think that to be considered for a Pulitzer or most other prizes, a book has to at least be at a certain level of quality. What determines the actual winners is always going to be subjective; it's not like we can have the authors arm wrestle. Though that would be kind of interesting.

The Pulitzer, like other awards, makes me aware of books that I might otherwise miss as I'm lazy and tend to look at the Best Seller lists and my favorite authors and genres.

I will most likely look at the Hemmingses of Monticello if it comes down to $9.99. And Jon Meachem is a very good writer, so American Lion will go on my TBR list.. The Slavery by Any Other Name I might get from the library. Olive Kitteridge is set in Maine, so maybe Leslie will want to read it!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Olive Kitteridge is set in Maine, so maybe Leslie will want to read it!
Well, I might look at it. But to be perfectly honest, The Beans of Egypt Maine soured me on Maine novels. I really need to write a cheery Maine book with a happy ever after ending....I could have fun with a lobsterman and a lighthouse keeper, circa 1903... ;)

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Leslie said:
Well, I might look at it. But to be perfectly honest, The Beans of Egypt Maine soured me on Maine novels. I really need to write a cheery Maine book with a happy ever after ending....I could have fun with a lobsterman and a lighthouse keeper, circa 1903... ;)
I agree! I was excited to read the Beans of Egypt, thinking the author might be related to me. (I'm not sure if she is or not.) But, didn't like the book.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mwvickers said:
So I'm guessing Stephen King's not-so-cheery Maine novels aren't high on your read list. LOL ;)
I have never managed to get all the way through a Stephen King book. I have started a few and then realized his style of writing is not my cup of tea.

I have met him (briefly). He seems like a nice guy and has been very generous to philanthropic causes here in Maine. I am certainly happy to call him a state treasure. I'm just not a fan of his books but hey...he probably doesn't notice my absence, anyway. He's got plenty of other fans to fill the gap.

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leslie said:
I started Beans and never finished it.

As for the lobsterman and the lighthouse keeper, many lighthouse keepers were women, so I'm wondering about the nature of your romance. ;D

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I started Beans and never finished it.

As for the lobsterman and the lighthouse keeper, many lighthouse keepers were women, so I'm wondering about the nature of your romance. ;D

Betsy
There were a fair number of men, too. I was actually thinking about this today as I was driving around. This could be fun. I could put my extensive knowledge of lighthouses and Fresnel lenses to work... of course, I had to do more research on lobster fishing (I know a bit, not a lot).

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leslie said:
There were a fair number of men, too. I was actually thinking about this today as I was driving around. This could be fun. I could put my extensive knowledge of lighthouses and Fresnel lenses to work... of course, I had to do more research on lobster fishing (I know a bit, not a lot).

L
Years ago, my husband and I went on a lobster boat tour. The lobsterman who gave the tour was a total hunk. Somewhere I have pictures.... I'll try to find them, it was in the film days.

Betsy

·
Registered
172 Posts
LDB said:
I need to, by about 40 pounds or so, but I don't think that applies to my question. I'm just curious if winning a Pulitzer really means anything. Do people buy books just because they're Pulitzer Prize winners or do they read the jacket flaps and choose/buy based solely on whether that's intriguing or not? What about Newberry Prize or any of the others? Are there any that truly mean something as far as sales or is it just an ego thing for the author primarily? Just trying to generate some thoughtful discussion that's perhaps a little livelier than usual.
A Pulitzer Prize will make me look at a book I might not otherwise, like Harvey.

The other purpose, for me, is if I go through a string of bad books, I'll usually go to the Pulitzer site and then look at the winners and finalists for my next book. Rarely have I hated a book that's won a Pulitzer, though I have found plenty that don't appeal to me. But the writing is always great.

If it wasn't for the Pulitzer Prize, I never would have read Middlesex, which for me was a change-your-life kind of book.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Leslie said:
I have never managed to get all the way through a Stephen King book. I have started a few and then realized his style of writing is not my cup of tea.

I have met him (briefly). He seems like a nice guy and has been very generous to philanthropic causes here in Maine. I am certainly happy to call him a state treasure. I'm just not a fan of his books but hey...he probably doesn't notice my absence, anyway. He's got plenty of other fans to fill the gap.

L
What I love is that he's still with his college sweetheart -- the same woman who saved "Carrie" from the wastepaper basket and told him she thought that he had something, and to pursue it. It really is a family of writers, too. Tabitha, the wife writes. Owen, his son, and Owen's wife write. The other son writes under Joe Hill. And you probably know all this! :D

I recommend 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill, but the stories in it are also available for individual DL:

The whole anthology:

And my fave individual stories from the anthology:
<-romantic ghost story.

<-- about a friendship with an inflatable boy. I know, I know. One of those concepts that seems stupid, but ends up really touching.

Joe Hill sounds a little like his dad, in all the bests ways possible, but also brings his unique style to his work. I think he might be more readable than his dad. Joe, I do believe, had a character mention a King story and then another character mentioned a novel by another author that I remember King raving about -- but I can't remember the novel.??? There are brief moments when you can see the influence.

The Pulitzer thing -- this whole board is based on opinions. That an award is based on opinions of the panel doesn't phase me. In the end, it's always about what the readers think of the book, since a computer doesn't seem to have the knack yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitzer_Prize

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm taking part in a LibraryThing Pulitzer Fiction Challenge. I'm not intending to force myself to read them all, but I'm slowly trying various winners and finding some surprising likes and dislikes. I checked all the fiction titles at Amazon in February and at the time they carried Kindle versions of only a small number - perhaps 30 of the 83. I was really surprised, but I suppose they'll show up eventually, except for titles like To Kill a Mockingbird, whose author doesn't like e-books, or so I've heard.

Of those I've read so far the following were available for Kindle:

Bleak but extremely effective vision of a post-apocalyptic future.

As my stepfather would have said, menza menza

A free classic on Kindle - and a beautiful story of family, disappointment, and life at war (World War I)

Not yet available for Kindle:

LOVED IT!

Boring, didn't finish more than a few stories

Read it years ago, loved it at that time, wish I had one to sell: Amazon's link is for a $104 paperback

Wonderful!

There is a complete list at
http://www.pulitzer.org/bycat/Fiction
and
http://www.pulitzer.org/bycat/Novel

You need to check both links because one covers up to 1947 and one from 1948-2009.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts