Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Bonnie and I am thinking about buying the Kindle but I have a question.

Please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

Can you buy books for the Kindle anywhere or is it limited to Amazon.
Not that it would be bad Amazon has tons of books but it might be nice to be
able to go to other on line book dealers.

Many Thanks
Bonnie

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
temujn said:
Hello my name is Bonnie and I am thinking about buying the Kindle but I have a question.

Please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

Can you buy books for the Kindle anywhere or is it limited to Amazon.
Not that it would be bad Amazon has tons of books but it might be nice to be
able to go to other on line book dealers.

Many Thanks
Bonnie
Hi, Bonnie and welcome to the Kindleboards.

You can buy ebooks anywhere as long as the files are in non rights protected .mobi or .prc format. There are ways to convert non rights protected .pdf files to. On purchased books, however, I've found Amazon's prices to be the lowest.

There are also many sites that offer free books (classics that are no longer copyrighted). I know there is a thread her somewhere listing those sites. I'll look for it and post it again.

You will love your Kindle! We all do.

Added: Here is the post with all the book sources listed:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,8037.msg164549.html#msg164549

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. I always buy my paper books from Amazon as you are right they have good prices.
I really don't need any other source than Amazon.
I am ready to buy but my husband is not.
I guess I have work to do  ;)
Thanks
Bonnie

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome, Bonnie.  We'll keep our fingers crossed for you that your husband gets ready to buy soon.  In the meantime, stick around and learn everything you can, and join in some of our discussions.  We have a lot of fun chatting about things that don't necessarily have anything to do with a K.
deb

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
looks like you got pointed in the right direction

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
www.smashwords.com also sells books in Kindle (and other) formats.

www.fictionwise.com does as well, but I've never used them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
DD said:
Hi, Bonnie and welcome to the Kindleboards.

You can buy ebooks anywhere as long as the files are in non rights protected .mobi or .prc format. There are ways to convert non rights protected .pdf files to. On purchased books, however, I've found Amazon's prices to be the lowest.

There are also many sites that offer free books (classics that are no longer copyrighted). I know there is a thread her somewhere listing those sites. I'll look for it and post it again.

You will love your Kindle! We all do.

Added: Here is the post with all the book sources listed:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,8037.msg164549.html#msg164549
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know you could buy books at other places :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
There's also free books at a couple of sites.  I have got a lot of the classics that way. 
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Free books at feedbooks.com and manybooks.net.

Also, look here: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5507H720090602 for, well, Book Lovers' links. :D

edit: see below. . . .another finger flub. . . .sorry. . . . .

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
There is also a thread, I think maybe a sticky, in one of the book threads that lists all the various places you can buy books for your kindle.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Gah!  Sorry. . . .not sure why it didn't pick up the correct thread. . .somehow saved a previous copy. . . .thanks marianner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts