Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several people mention that they like to include the story description in the ebook itself, often on or near the title page.  That makes sense,somebody might download a sample or a free book and only read it weeks or months later by which time they've forgotten what the book is about. I've had that experience myself - "why did I get this one again?"

My question is this: 
Do you set the "open here" point at that story description e.g. on the title page or wherever it's been placed?  As far as I know, the default opening point for most Kindle books is where the story itself starts.  Do you think a reader would find it irritating to have the book open on a title page, followed by a very short blurb? 

I think it's unlikely that people will know to page backwards for such a description. 

·
Registered
262 Posts
Personally, I always flip to the front.  I read a lot of fantasy, and like to see if there are maps or pictures at the front that I'd otherwise miss because it starts where the story starts.

I can't speak for everyone though.

L

·
0 Posts
One of the things that really annoys me as a reader is the book always seems to 'open' at the wrong place. sometimes its halfway through the TOC, other times at chapter 1. Rarely, if ever does the book start on the inside flap and the first thing I always do is press the back button to the beginning. Sometimes it's only the copyright or dedication, but still I like to choose to flip past it rather than having the decision made for me by formatting cues.
The adding of the description from Amazon's page is a recent thing, but invaluable for the obvious reason that I download hundreds of books, then forget why I did, prompting me to go on-line and re-read the blurb.

I'm also beginning to think that mentioning places like Kboards, would be a good reminder as many books I download come from people's signatures on here.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I always flip back to the front. Maybe that's because we're writers? Don't remember if I did it before. Probably so, because I like to see the cover image up close.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I also always flip back to the start of any book, just to see what I missed.

Thus, when formatting my own, I don't set it to start at the beginning of the first chapter. My books always start on the very first page (after the cover image) which is my title, followed by blurb, followed by copyright stuff, followed by TOC, and then the first chapter. That means a minimum of four page turns before the story starts, and more if the font is large or the screen is small (such as on an iPhone), but I figure it's kind of like the opening credits of a movie: most people don't mind them as long as they're not too long.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's interesting. I might have to put the blurbs in my books too. I know my kindle is pretty full from all the books I see and want to read but don't have time for right now.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
I'm another flipper back. I can't stand not seeing the cover before I start reading. I also like to know whether there's a dedication, maps, anything else interesting at the front.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Between this and several other threads, I think I'm going to spend the next few hours redoing the front of my books. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but we'll see.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Adrian Howell said:
I also always flip back to the start of any book, just to see what I missed.

Thus, when formatting my own, I don't set it to start at the beginning of the first chapter. My books always start on the very first page (after the cover image) which is my title, followed by blurb, followed by copyright stuff, followed by TOC, and then the first chapter. That means a minimum of four page turns before the story starts, and more if the font is large or the screen is small (such as on an iPhone), but I figure it's kind of like the opening credits of a movie: most people don't mind them as long as they're not too long.
I use Scrivener for Windows. Does it have someplace where you can "set" the starting page? So, in your case, the page immediately after the cover. Or, do you do that some other way (an HTML code thingie?)? And/or is there some place during the upload to Amazon/KDP to set that "open here" place?

This is all great info. I would like to force mine to begin immediately after the cover. Followed by the blurb, copyright, TOC, etc.

Thanks,

GeoffW

L

·
0 Posts
It would also be helpful if, when the kindle goes to sleep, that it does so with the cover of the current book you're reading as the image on the dead screen. 

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
GeoffW said:
I use Scrivener for Windows. Does it have someplace where you can "set" the starting page? So, in your case, the page immediately after the cover. Or, do you do that some other way (an HTML code thingie?)? And/or is there some place during the upload to Amazon/KDP to set that "open here" place?

This is all great info. I would like to force mine to begin immediately after the cover. Followed by the blurb, copyright, TOC, etc.

Thanks,

GeoffW
I don't use Scrivener myself. There is a way to set the start page, which is of course how books are formatted to open at the beginning of the first chapter. I used to do just that until I eventually decided to stop.

Now I simply don't set a start point in the first place, as books without the designated start point will just open to the very first page of the document, which in my case is the title.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I wish all ebooks opened with the book cover. When I pull a hard cover book off the shelf, the first thing I see is the cover. I then page through, reading some pages and skipping others, until I get to the beginning. This, to me, is the logical way a start a book. When I first got my Kindle before I considered publishing that way, I was surprised to discover ebooks didn't work that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts