Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they?

I see people talk about them, and say they make money from them, but honestly, I'm not sure what they are or where you get them from.

·
Registered
302 Posts
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/affiliate_link.html

A lot of people used to (not sure about now because I remember some rule changes) use 'em for Amazon links to their books.

I like to think of them as kick-backs for referring to specific sites or services. You can typically find out if a company offers affiliation on their website. It'll normally say something like "Webmasters - Make Money" or "Link to Us" or even "Refer"/"Affiliate".

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Simple enough. http://affiliate-program.amazon.com/ That's for Amazon, but there are similar programs elsewhere.

It's a way of allowing you to point people to items at Amazon and receive a (tiny) portion of of the sale as a referral fee. And, if they purchase multiple items during that visit, you get that referral fee for all the purchases. For some people, that can become quite a sum.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Wordpress.com though will not allow you to put any affiliate links, you need Wordpress.org. I am not sure about Blogger?  Does anyone here use affiliate links on Blogger?  Private websites of course are not a problem.  What about Weebly too?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a couple of websites that produce income from affiliate links. Here's a good example of one. http://tire-review-expert.com/michelin-pilot-sport-as-plus-zp-review/ I make 6% of any tire bought that came from my link to Tirerack or Discount Tire. It's a beautiful thing when someone buys a set of tires for their Vette. I make about $80 and don't have to get dirty.

I've made as much as $1300 in a month. But only made about $100 last month. It's good vacation money. But too sketchy to rely on for anything more than that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bbhamel said:
Bumping this. Wondering if you can use your affiliates link in your front/back matter.
I believe the agreement states only on your website. I use links to my website in my books, and then set up redirects on the website that send people directly to amazon (or other affiliated site)

·
Registered
315 Posts
bbhamel said:
Bumping this. Wondering if you can use your affiliates link in your front/back matter.
With caution. Many do. I did, and stupidly used booklinker.net so that my shortlink would go to the right Amazon country, and THEN put that link through bit.ly so that I could track traffic, and my affiliate account was summarily closed and no begging on my part could get it reinstated. They kept escalating it to some upper level, who'd just kick back the same automated email. They said it was because another account I was affiliated with was shut down, and I wasn't affiliated with anyone else. But then I found out that booklinker had gotten in trouble with Amazon, so perhaps that was it? Anyway, the rep said that they don't like shortlinks in general in ebooks because they can't tell what site it's going to or something like that.

When they shut it down, they also locked all the money I'd earned up to that point :(

·
Registered
473 Posts
You can choose whether or not to use it in your ebooks at your own discretion, but there's lots of other places to use them, too: Website, Newsletter, Facebook, Twitter, some advertising, etc. For example, you can run your Amazon affiliate link through your Facebook boosted post ad that links to your freebie book. Even if they only get the freebie book and don't buy your other book, you may pick up on other sales from their Amazon page. So it's a second way to 'earn' from a promotion.

And THEN you can use your bitly links for tracking and so on. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
CLStone said:
You can choose whether or not to use it in your ebooks at your own discretion, but there's lots of other places to use them, too: Website, Newsletter, Facebook, Twitter, some advertising, etc. For example, you can run your Amazon affiliate link through your Facebook boosted post ad that links to your freebie book. Even if they only get the freebie book and don't buy your other book, you may pick up on other sales from their Amazon page. So it's a second way to 'earn' from a promotion.

And THEN you can use your bitly links for tracking and so on. :)
Careful.

Actually, the ONLY place you are allowed by Amazon to put an affiliate link is on the website you specified when you signed up!
You can't tweet them, or put them on facebook. You definitely can't put them in emails/newsletters or in the back matter of your books.
If you do any of these things, you are risking your account.
Do some people do it? Yes. Lot's of people speed when they drive and don't get tickets, too!
I wouldn't risk my account on the chance that Amazon might not notice, or might not care.
Someone will always chime in and say they do it all the time, and nothing has ever happened to them. Consider them the same way as the person who always chimes in to the talk about the dangers of smoking with the story about how their grandfather smoked a pack a day until he was 88.
Do it at your own risk, but consider yourself warned! :)

ETA: Before anyone mentions BookBub and the other promo sites - They do not put affiliate links in their emails. They use a redirect that takes you to their site, and THEN to Amazon.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Twitter should be okay, actually. But I'm pretty sure affiliate links in ebooks are not okay.

1. Does the Amazon Associates Program permit the use of social networking sites like Twitter to drive traffic to the Amazon site?

Yes - the Associates Program does pay referral fees for qualifying sales generated from social networking sites like Twitter.
Source: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/help/t50

·
Registered
432 Posts
And here's the part from the TOS that seems to say no, you can't put an affiliate link into an ebook, rather than on a website or on Twitter:

(e) You will not, without our express prior written approval, use any Product Advertising Content on or in connection with any site or application designed or intended for use with a mobile phone or other handheld device
Source: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/advertising/api/detail/agreement.html

The idea is that the Kindle itself is a "handheld device," thus you can't put an affiliate link into Kindle ebooks.

A lot of people still do, of course. Just personally, I wouldn't myself.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just signed up last night.  It let you put in four urls you plan to put your links on.  Twitter was one of the ones I used, even though the only thing my Twitter really does is relay blog posts and stuff.

·
Registered
606 Posts
ML-Larson said:
I just signed up last night. It let you put in four urls you plan to put your links on. Twitter was one of the ones I used, even though the only thing my Twitter really does is relay blog posts and stuff.
Good to know!
I guess as long as you list your twitter page when you sign up, you should be fine. That's new since I signed up.
Thanks!!

Here is the wording from the FAQ, which spells it out a little more clearly than the ToS:

How do I get my link to customers?

Your links need to be embedded in an active website with interesting content to be successful. When a customer clicks your link, we are able to track where they came from; this ensures that you receive your Advertising Fees.
It is not permitted to bookmark your links, send them in e-mails/newsletters, post in your Kindle books, or use them in any other offline manner.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Bumping to echo Melody's question about using referral links on your blog. I have plenty of room on my Blogger sidebar, and I'd like to know if there's a gadget I can use. Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Robert Dahlen said:
Bumping to echo Melody's question about using referral links on your blog. I have plenty of room on my Blogger sidebar, and I'd like to know if there's a gadget I can use. Thanks.
Yeah, there were loads that I saw when I signed up. I'm sort of confiding putting an amazon search widget in my sidebar.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I use affiliate links on my website, blog, and redirects from my newsletter. Some of the other things people buy after clicking my affiliate links. Some are downright funny. I've had a couple of very large purchases after clicking on my links, one was $1500 worth of camera equipment and another was $1000 worth of guitar equipment.\

On average, I make an additional $40/month. Nothing really big, but it's fun and through the affiliate site, I can tell what affect my links have.

I

·
0 Posts
Think of an Affiliate Site as helping a big company with customer acquisition and sales.
Just the way that as an author you'd be willing to pay people and sites to help you get sales, pretty much any company in the world is willing to pay you to help you get sales for them.

Companies like Amazon and WalMart know the Internet is Infinite.

They have an internal set of metrics

1) Each new customer costs us $50 to acquire. Note: Can be less or more, just meant to illustrate.
2) For each $50 worth of products we sell, around $10 is the cost in marketing and advertising.
3) Over lifetime, an average customers earns us $250.

So they figure out - What if we let normal everyday people and smaller companies and websites help us. We let them have $10 or $20 for each new customer or $5 or $10 per purchase.
It's cheaper than what it costs us. And they have an economic incentive.

If you have a small website, then easiest is Amazon as it seels a variety of products and someone buying something (kitchen sink. TV, ebook, movie, etc.) is highest.

As you grow bigger you can become an affiliate for a variety of ebook sites (Apple, B&N, Kobo, Amazon).

As you become even bigger you can start offering your users links to other things like electronic stores (Best Buy), bank accounts, etc.

These rules: Actually, the ONLY place you are allowed by Amazon to put an affiliate link is on the website you specified when you signed up!
You can't tweet them, or put them on facebook. You definitely can't put them in emails/newsletters or in the back matter of your books.
If you do any of these things, you are risking your account.

They are meant to prevent some company from growing too big. For small companies and for small blogs Amazon doesn't care or check.

Amazon's concern around these rules is that some site inserts itself into the NORMAL chain of user finding out about Amazon and starts costing them money on users who would go to Amazon anyways.

It's also an easy way to avoid dependency on any one site.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Robert Dahlen said:
I did some research online. Apparently Blogger and Weebly allow affiliate links, Wordpress.com does not. However it seems it is still not adviseable as I came across a few stories of Weebly and Blogger users who had their sites shut down for spamming after posting affiliate links. General advice is to only use affiliate links on your own self-hosted website.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts