Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From http://www.amazon.com/OK-Kindle-QUESTIONS-Answered-newcomers/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/Tx2TPIF18SDVPAX/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000FI73MA

AMAZON FREEBIES: "Kindlebook" Freebies: If a book is offered by Amazon Kindlebooks for free (price will say 0.00). It is suggested that you
download it immediately as promos don't last (only a short time). DO NOT SAVE FOR DOWNLOADING LATER it will charge out at
regular price if the promo is over even if it was free when you saved it.

My questions:

I downloaded the two freebies currently available, but my Kindle is at least a MONTH away from shipping. I know there is an option to download it to the computer - but it's currently not working. Is this common?

Also, can it be downloaded to multiple computers? (I realize it can only be loaded back to Kindles tied to MY account.)

I don't want to lose out on these freebies because Amazon is understocked (and understandably so because of Oprah, but still).

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have no idea about downloading it to your computer but I ordered both of the free books on Amazon before I even got my Kindle and as soon as I charged it and turned on the whispernet both books came through.  It will remain in your  Amazon Kindle account until you receive your Kindle, no need to worry.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Technically, you don't download the free books. You buy them just like any other book and it will show up as a purchase (you'll get the confirming email and so on) but the price will be $0.00.

You can't buy Kindle books and content unless there is a Kindle registered to your account. They do register them in advance. You get a welcoming email from Amazon and at that point, the Kindle should be on your account.

So, CS, if your Kindle is not going to be shipped for a month, I am wondering if it is registered to your account? I waited a month for mine and it wasn't registered until it was ready to ship (which is typical) so I wasn't able to buy any books or request any samples. When you went to "buy" the books that are currently free, what happened?

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie said:
Technically, you don't download the free books. You buy them just like any other book and it will show up as a purchase (you'll get the confirming email and so on) but the price will be $0.00.

You can't buy Kindle books and content unless there is a Kindle registered to your account. They do register them in advance. You get a welcoming email from Amazon and at that point, the Kindle should be on your account.

So, CS, if your Kindle is not going to be shipped for a month, I am wondering if it is registered to your account? I waited a month for mine and it wasn't registered until it was ready to ship (which is typical) so I wasn't able to buy any books or request any samples. When you went to "buy" the books that are currently free, what happened?

L
Leslie, to answer your questions:

- It appears the Kindle IS indeed registered to my account. I can name my Kindle, give it a kindle.com e-mail address, add authorized outside e-mail addresses to it, set up 1-click info, and view what I've already ordered.

- When I ordered the two free books, I was prompted for my 1-click info, and then I got a confirmation screen and confirmation e-mails (both listing $0.00 as the price).

- Today, I received a "Getting Started with Your New Amazon Kindle" e-mail.

pidgeon92 said:
Click on the link below, there is a "contact us" button on the left of the resulting web page. Send your question directly to Amazon support, and please let us know the response you receive.... I gather that it is taking them a few days to respond right now....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200212360
Thanks. I will wait to see how people respond here and then do that tonight. I'll let everyone know. It's possible the Amazon board post I referenced up top has erroneous info. In this case, I hope so!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
If you were able to order them and get a confirmation, I would assume you are all set to go....

·
Super Moderator
67,354 Posts
I think if you "bought" it with one click for $0.00, then you're good.  It'll just hang in your media library until you actually get your Kindle and turn on Whispernet.  Then it'll be transmitted.  I think what the original quote was saying, don't put it to save for later or on your wish list.  If the price goes up in the mean time you will have lost out on the promotional price.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
So it sounds like you were able to "buy" both free books. That's great, CS. When your Kindle arrives and you turn on the Whispernet, they'll download automatically. In fact, if you go to the Manage Your Kindle of your Amazon account, you should see something that looks like this, with the names of the free books:

See the little clock that says pending? That means it hasn't downloaded yet. Yours will be pending until you receive your Kindle and turn on the Whispernet for the first time.

L

PS, there is no time limit on pending status.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ann, thanks for the clarification. I do believe you are right. Probably just a poor choice of wording by whoever wrote the original Amazon board post.

Leslie, yup, I see a screen exactly that (though not quite as well-stocked...yet). :) So, it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts