Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was looking through some and it looks like all of them are off the standard prices from the US.

UK folks: is the --.99 standard or is 1.27 really a normal price?

I'm considering bumping my .99/1.99 dollars up to the matching price in the UK instead of .87/1.27

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi Caitie. Yes, what you're seeing is Amazon's direct conversion between currencies. For example, books that are $0.99 in the US Kindle store appear at about £0.77 in the UK store.

However, I seem to remember noticing that KBer Lexi Revellian had manually rounded up her books in the UK store to the nearest 99 pence. :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I worded my question poorly!

Is it standard (no indie, conversion. But books priced in the UK for the UK) for the prices to be like that. OR do you typically see UK books priced for the UK in the UK end in .99 or something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Typically book prices here end in 99, like £4.99. Even though I'm in the UK, my prices are linked to the US price so appear as £0.77, £1.91. It was easier to do it that way. Also, although we're only talking pennies, I wouldn't want UK readers to have to pay more for my books in real terms than US readers.

·
Registered
817 Posts
UK-published books end in the .99. Indie published books that experience currency conversion usually are off-numbers. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/362264031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kinc_2_4_last

Kate Danley's The Woodcutter (published by Amazon's 47 North) either decided to deviate from the rule or else they didn't care about worrying when they set the price. If you scroll down to the bottom of the list you can see some other indie works priced on odd, converted numbers (except number 16, that author-guy must be one sharp dude).

Something to consider if you do price specific to the UK is that the VAT is 3%, and so you need to price at 2.90 in order to end up at 2.99.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Sam Kates said:
Typically book prices here end in 99, like £4.99. Even though I'm in the UK, my prices are linked to the US price so appear as £0.77, £1.91. It was easier to do it that way. Also, although we're only talking pennies, I wouldn't want UK readers to have to pay more for my books in real terms than US readers.
Keep in mind, however, that Amazon doesn't do a current currency conversion. If you have them set the price based on the US price, it goes by the conversion rates in effect at the time you set those prices. So chances are, US and UK readers aren't paying the same amount anyway, if you just let Amazon set the price unless you go in every day and redo it.

Lexi, thanks for the suggestions about factoring in VAT. I need to go fix that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As someone that jumps between a .com and a .co.uk account, I have to say I get a little annoyed if I check a book in the UK and find it overpriced in comparison to its US counterpart. That happens enough in the worlds of sofware and tech (and others I am sure) - $400 for an ipad in Canada versus $600 in the UK - that it is a bit disheartening when you find indie writers jumping on that bandwagon too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts