Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I share an account.  We each have a Kindle, but we both get to read any book once it is ordered. 

My question deals with SD cards. 

My dad gave me an SD card the other day.  I believe he put it in his Kindle, and then pulled over all of the books into one SD card for ease of use.  He then gave it to me. 

Now, I have not used it yet, but I am wondering if the books will work that way due to DRM. 

Again, we are both on one account, so I can get the books for my Kindle anyway.  But I thought I read somewhere that the books are linked to the serial number of the Kindle they are downloaded to.  If that is the case, then wouldn't it be true that I could not read any of the books on the SD card that came from Amazon, since they went through his Kindle? 

What would happen if I tried? 

I am trying to figure out if I need to simply delete all the books off of the SD card and bring them over myself through my Kindle's serial number.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
It will be linked to the serial number on the Kindle. If they are DRM free books that were downloaded from another site, then you should be able to load them on your Kindle. I would just send the Amazon books to your Kindle.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Kathy is right, the books with DRM on the SD card will be linked to your Dad's Kindle and will not work on your Kindle.  You need to redownload them to your Kindle.  Non DRM books and samples can be transferred using the SD card, however.

Betsy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts