Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any experience with fanfic?  I know absolutely nothing about it, but I kinda got bored and wrote a fanfic screenplay one day, and now I'm thinking, what do you actually do with these?  Are there websites?  And if so, are some more credible than others?  It's not like I want to do anything professional with it or anything, but I was wondering if there were places where people share fanfic things they've written.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a good one everyone!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yep, AO3 and FFN as mentioned above. If you have a website, I also recommend posting it as a .pdf as just a little extra free read for those who find your work. You never know who's checking you out and what their interests are, so they may like to read it too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
NikOK said:
Does anyone here have any experience with fanfic? I know absolutely nothing about it, but I kinda got bored and wrote a fanfic screenplay one day, and now I'm thinking, what do you actually do with these? Are there websites? And if so, are some more credible than others? It's not like I want to do anything professional with it or anything, but I was wondering if there were places where people share fanfic things they've written. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a good one everyone!
A03 is a good one, or it was when i was writing there

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, I agree with AO3. That's what I use. FF.net is outdated--and last I checked (which was admittedly a long time ago), they had a lot of restrictions on what you could post, and script-format fics was one of them.

I will say, though, that I doubt you'll get much traction with a screenplay format fic. I actually wrote a couple back in college, and I posted one of them. It got very little attention. If what you have is a parody/comedy fic, maybe that will be different (Cassandra Clare had a LOTR fic series called the Very Secret Diaries back in the day, which got a lot of attention despite being semi script format). But if it's a normal sort of script, those don't seem to be very popular. This is partly because the fanfic archives don't lend themselves well to screenplay format display, but it's more (I think) due to most people not being that interested in reading script formatted fics. People are used to prose. Screenplays are blueprints for movies, so they don't work that well on their own, unless someone is in the film industry and better able to visualize them as movies than your average reader.

I'm not trying to discourage you. By all means, post it and see if you get comments. (Whether or not you do will also depend a lot on which fandom it's for and whether that fandom is active right now.) But what I plan to do with my screenplay format fics is to one day (maybe) go back and rewrite them as prose fics so that they'll have a higher chance of getting read.

kyokominamino said:
If you have a website, I also recommend posting it as a .pdf as just a little extra free read for those who find your work. You never know who's checking you out and what their interests are, so they may like to read it too.
I do this, too. With my prose fics, I use Vellum (which I already have, so why not) to create epub versions of the fics for people to download. (AO3 lets you download epub versions of any fics, but I like to create a more professional looking version.) I don't think it's going to get you any new readers to your original work (anyone who would claim that writing fanfic increases sales of original works to any measurable degree has obviously never attempted it, because it just doesn't happen that way), but it could be a fun bonus for anyone who reads your original work and is also interested in whatever fandom you wrote fanfic for. (I know I was pretty excited when I found out that Jim Butcher wrote a Spider-man novel, for example. That was licensed, not fanfic, but I think the concept still applies.)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ShawnaReads said:
I'm not trying to discourage you. By all means, post it and see if you get comments. (Whether or not you do will also depend a lot on which fandom it's for and whether that fandom is active right now.) But what I plan to do with my screenplay format fics is to one day (maybe) go back and rewrite them as prose fics so that they'll have a higher chance of getting read.
Ha, it's all good. That makes perfect sense about a screenplay not being the most fun thing to read. I mostly just wanted a different experience and to try something fun and this is where I ended up. Then a while later I thought, hmm, I wonder if there is a place people put these kind of things. So, heh, I'm not really worried about if people read it or not, but more just wanted to explore something a bit different and see what's out there.

Thanks for all the info on fanfic :D Don't know if I'd ever make something more serious in fanfic, but you've given me a lot of wise things that I'll remember if I do. And, that's really awesome of you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts