Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Kindle--a DX--is arriving tomorrow!  woo-hoo!  Go ahead, congratulate me!  (just kidding)

Anyway: I've been looking around at various e-book sites, and I am surprised that none of them offer a dedicated Kindle format.  You can get Adobe Reader, Microsoft Reader, plain text, Mobi, etc, but no one advertises Kindle.  I know that some of those formats *can* be used on the Kindle without any problem (Mobi, right?) but it seems odd to me that an ebook retailer wouldn't just have a Kindle download.  Or a "Kindle/Mobi" download.  I can't imagine that they want Kindle users going to their sites and saying, "wow, I guess they just don't support Kindle." 

Is this a result of some sort of bad blood between Amazon and publishers/retailers?  I know that bookstores aren't thrilled about Kindles, but I recently received a Borders coupon that offered a slight discount on Sony eReaders.  Why aren't retailers, publishers and bookstores doing similar things to attract Kindle users and make the purchase of ebooks less confusing?

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
As I understand it Kindle/Mobi/PRC are really all the same except that Amazon has some proprietary DRM* on it's Kindle format.  Only Amazon can offer 'Kindle' format because only they add the specific kind of DRM.

My experience has been that many sites do indicate that if you have a Kindle, you can use the mobi or prc formats as long as it's not 'secured' meaning it has it's own kind of DRM.

*Digital Rights Management -- copy protection

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you go ou tto fictionwise.com, they have "Multi-Format" books that can be read on Kindles. It is pretty much unprotected .mobi files. Not all of their books are available in Multi-Format, but they do have a good selection (although most are availavle through Amazon). At least they do advertise that they have books for Kindle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts