Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my K2 yesterday, my first Kindle.  I have a question about the display screen when the Kindle is off.  I noticed last night when I turned it off and then this morning after it was off all night, there is a black line near the top of the screen that goes all the way across and another at the bottom.  I see it when the Kindle is off.  Is this normal or is something wrong with mine?  Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
Kari, I don't have that, then again, I don't turn off my Kindle. I just put it to sleep. Does it go away when you turn your Kindle back on? Is it dark? Light?

Sometimes e-ink causes ghosting. There's sometimes an after image of the previous page when you turn it off or to a new page. It goes away when you turn the page again.

I had some ghosting the first day with Bella, but I haven't really noticed anymore since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
I noticed this with mine. It was ghosting the lines at the top and bottom that are on the page when you are "in" a book. I also don't notice it anymore. Had to leave AIVAS at home today because it is snowing and I don't have a cover yet, but when I get home I will look to see if he is still doing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should the ghosting last overnight?  I had it off overnight and could still see it this morning before turning it on.  The lines are on the top and bottom in the same places that the lines are at the top and bottom on the home page.

Oh wait - I just looked at it.  It's been off for about an hour and I can see some ghosting all over the page.  It's like a very faint version of my home page - words and lines included.  Hmm - so that is normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
kari said:
Should the ghosting last overnight? I had it off overnight and could still see it this morning before turning it on. The lines are on the top and bottom in the same places that the lines are at the top and bottom on the home page.

Oh wait - I just looked at it. It's been off for about an hour and I can see some ghosting all over the page. It's like a very faint version of my home page - words and lines included. Hmm - so that is normal?
That was kind of normal for the K1. It disappears when you go to a new screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
kari said:
Should the ghosting last overnight? I had it off overnight and could still see it this morning before turning it on. The lines are on the top and bottom in the same places that the lines are at the top and bottom on the home page.

Oh wait - I just looked at it. It's been off for about an hour and I can see some ghosting all over the page. It's like a very faint version of my home page - words and lines included. Hmm - so that is normal?
i just turned mine off.
no ghosting..

el
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just turned mine on and on the home page where the line is at the top under Kari's Kindle and the battery symbol -- above that thin line there is a thicker ghosting line above it.  Anyone else have that?  there is a thick ghosting line at the very bottom under the bottom thin line too....under "Page 1 of 1".

Edited to add:  When I go into a book and then come back out to the home screen, it doesn't seem to be as noticeable.  Maybe it will work itself out.  If not I'll contact Amazon.  I was just wondering if it's kind of normal or if I got a bum K2!  Also -- I think I see it a lot more in natural daylight as opposed to indoor lighting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
kari said:
I just turned mine on and on the home page where the line is at the top under Kari's Kindle and the battery symbol -- above that thin line there is a thicker ghosting line above it. Anyone else have that? there is a thick ghosting line at the very bottom under the bottom thin line too....under "Page 1 of 1".
I might be wrong but I think what you are seeing is actually supposed to be there. What I see on mine is the designer's attempt to give those bars a sense of depth. The bit above the thin dark line is a gradient to make that whole section look a bit rounded.

That what you are talking about?

I'll try to snap a picture and circle what I am talking about.

Edit: Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Excuse the quick slap together.

http://www.harmakhet.com/images/linesKindle.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
kari said:
Yep, I think that's what I'm seeing -- although not in the detail you are showing - wow. Can you still see it when your Kindle is off?
Occasionally I can see it when it's off. Depends on how long it sat on the home page before cutting it off. The e-ink shows what looks like burn in occasionally but it's just the ghosting from it not fully clearing the page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Harmakhet said:
Occasionally I can see it when it's off. Depends on how long it sat on the home page before cutting it off. The e-ink shows what looks like burn in occasionally but it's just the ghosting from it not fully clearing the page.
Thank you! Maybe my Kindle is normal after all. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Kari, I don't have that, then again, I don't turn off my Kindle. I just put it to sleep. Does it go away when you turn your Kindle back on? Is it dark? Light?

Sometimes e-ink causes ghosting. There's sometimes an after image of the previous page when you turn it off or to a new page. It goes away when you turn the page again.

I had some ghosting the first day with Bella, but I haven't really noticed anymore since.
This is exactly what Customer Service told me a few minutes ago when I called about the ghosting on my K2; he said it's normal with this sort of e-ink technology, that only on rare occasions will the residual images actually interfere with book pages; if this happens, then we should call C.S. and request a replacement. Otherwise, he said there's nothing to worry about. (Whew!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I am noticing now that every time I begin to read a book after my Kindle 2 has been in sleep mode, I still have ghosting or burn in on the bottom of the page. I can still see the "slide and release the power switch to wake" message along the bottom. An Alt+G refresh takes care of it, but I am concerned that this may get worse over time. 

Does anyone else notice this?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top