Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I was looking today and noticed that Mobile Reference sells large collections of authors' works for $4.79 each.  Conan Doyle's has over 200 works (books and short stories) for $4.79.  All of Shakespeare's works for the same price.  Etc. 

I know that most of these are public domain, and can be downloaded for free. 

What I would like is for different opinions on whether it is better to download them for free or to buy them in the files from Mobile Reference. 

These are the pros and cons to Mobile Reference as I see them:

1) One pro is that the price is not bad for the number of works.
2) Another pro is that all of the works are in one file with a linked Table of Contents.  This means that you don't have multiple pages of an author's works; they are all in one file on one page.  The files also seem to be compressed, so they don't seem to take up as much room as downloading the individual books would.
3) One con is that no matter what price, you are paying for books that would otherwise be free.

These are the pros and cons of getting them for free:

1) Obvious pro, they are free.
2) Another pro is the fact that you can know how far you are in one book.  With the MR copies, the Kindle sees it as one file, so you will never really know how far you are in a book, only in the entire file. 
3) A con is that if you want all of an author's works, you will have them taking up more room overall (the MR files seem to be compressed, or something) and they will be scattered all over the Kindle.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
marianner said:
You can actually make them into a single volume yourself, if you know a bit of HTML and/or can be a bit clever with the Mobipocket Creator software. It does take some time, though.
I'm actually not that tech savvy. LOL

It's sad, really.

Thanks for the advice, though.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I bought the Conan-Doyle because it included every Sherlock Holmes plus all the rest of his works in one volume indexed and ready to read that within less than a minute was readily available with no work, no fuss, no muss taking up only 1 spot on the homepage. For me that was well worth the $4.79 for it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
How hard is it to find a particular work within the composite?  Does the volume contain a TOC that lists all of the works and you can select through there?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BambiB said:
How hard is it to find a particular work within the composite? Does the volume contain a TOC that lists all of the works and you can select through there?
Yes. That much I know. I downloaded a sample of one, and you can jump to the TOC. There it lists all the works with working links. You can simply scroll to the work you want, click beside it, and you are there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
mwvickers said:
Yes. That much I know. I downloaded a sample of one, and you can jump to the TOC. There it lists all the works with working links. You can simply scroll to the work you want, click beside it, and you are there.
That sounds really cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just another opinion... I downloaded a collection from one of my favorite childhood authors (L.M. Montgomery) and was very impressed. Yes, I could have individually downloaded all 20 of her novels and hundreds of short stories on-line for free from freekindlebooks.org. However, these were formatted much better, the file much more compact, easier to navigate with the Table of Contents & the biggest plus was that all of these only take up one spot on my homepage.

But I think it's really only worth it if you want to read all of the author's works. If you only want to read one or two of their pieces, I think downloading it for free makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sparkplug said:
Just another opinion... I downloaded a collection from one of my favorite childhood authors (L.M. Montgomery) and was very impressed. Yes, I could have individually downloaded all 20 of her novels and hundreds of short stories on-line for free from freekindlebooks.org. However, these were formatted much better, the file much more compact, easier to navigate with the Table of Contents & the biggest plus was that all of these only take up one spot on my homepage.

But I think it's really only worth it if you want to read all of the author's works. If you only want to read one or two of their pieces, I think downloading it for free makes more sense.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to get a few of the Mobile Reference editions.  I like them in every way but one:  The page turns seem a lot slower in those collections.  Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
mwvickers said:
For those interested, below is the link to the Amazon store where they have the Mobile Reference Kindle books. There are pages of authors, including Dickens, Conan Doyle, Shakespeare, Melville, Hawthorne, Poe, Lovecraft, O. Henry, Aristotle, and many others.

Most are priced around $4.79. Some are a little more, some are less.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=mobilereference
Thanks!

I just added half of those to my wish list...

·
Registered
221 Posts
mwvickers said:
I decided to get a few of the Mobile Reference editions. I like them in every way but one: The page turns seem a lot slower in those collections. Anyone else experience this?
I noticed that -- at least it was turning a little bit slower, not "a lot." I'm thinking it might have something to do with how large the files are... is that plausible?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I have a few of these collections and really like them. I really like that they only take up one line on my homepage (that's already 30+ pages long.

Yes, I could do it myself, but $4.79 is a small price to pay for a bit of sanity. (Plus Kindleboards gets a little, and I can keep it on Amazon.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I too have about 5 or 6 of the MobileReference collections on my kindle.  I had several of the novels already on my kindle from various places like Gutenberg, ManyBooks, etc., but discovered that having all the works of an author in ONE collection saved clutter on my kindle.  For me, 4.79 was a small price to pay for convenience, excellent formatting and the ease of moving around in the TOC.  I haven't notice the slower page turns though. 

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Not all of the Mobilereference volumes are created equally.

Both of these are horrible:

The Poe volume has no TOC, if I recall correctly.

And the movie book is just a bunch of plagiarized material from Wikipedia. Not what I''d call worthy of $10.

CORRECTION: I was mistaken about the Poe collection. It does have a TOC, but not everything is linkable in the sample version. Only what's contained in the actual sample is linked. The full version links to everything, from what I'm told.

I still stand by what I said about the movie book though. It is junk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts