Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all. No. This is not another where are the page numbers on my kindle questions. I got this book yesterday.

The Night's Dawn Trilogy

File Size: 5683 KB
Price: 7.99

Okay. Its a huge book. Somebody said that its a sci-fi omnibus that has 6 books that have about 800 pages each and the file size is big. One person says it has around 7600 pages, another around 4000 pages and another around 19,000 pages on an IPaq (?). So, being the weirdo i am i decided i wanted to find out how many pages it would be on a kindle.

It has 70,428 locations and i saw that each page i turned to said different things like it has 4, 5 or 6 locations per page on font size 4. So i divided 70428 by 5 thinking this would be close and came up with 14,085 pages. So my question is did i do this right? Is this how you figure out how many pages it has on a kindle?

I know this all probly sounds dumb but i just wanted to know how many times i'd have to hit the next page button to finish the book and if i did it right thats a lot of times! :D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Not sure if this is any help, but you made me curious, so I decided to see what I could deduce.

Outlander, according to Amazon is 600 pages.  The location amount is 16,241.  If I divided that by 5 I got 3,248 pages.  Not the right answer. 
I then divided 16,241 by the known number of pages, 600, and got 27.0683.  ???  I don't think that answered anything. 

Next?
debbie

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I also took Whiskey Rebels, 544 pages, did the same math.  8,273 locations divided by 544 pages and came up with 15.2077. 
No pattern...hmmm.
debbie

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I remember Leslie doing some math at some point, and perhaps she came up with something valid. 
I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will pop in here eventually and solve this puzzle.
debbie

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The locations are generated from something in the ebook file and have nothing to do with the number of pages in the printed book. Someone else posted a more precise answer about what locations actually "are" but I don't remember the answer. What they aren't -- or don't have -- is any sort of correspondence to the paper pages.

If you want to know how many times you'll have to press "next page":

Determine the number of locations in the book (LB)
Determine how many locations are on the screen at the font you usually use (for me, it's usually 4) (LS)

Divide LB by LS come up with (approximate) next page presses (NPP).

So, with Whiskey Rebels:

LB = 8273
LS = 4
NPP = 2068

I suppose we could figure out how much battery is consumed with each NPP and determine the battery life in a book with 2068 NPPs.

Or, we could just read...LOL

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Thank you, Leslie.  I knew you'd have the answer.  I vote for just read.  I'm better at it anyway.  LOL.
debbie

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leslie said:
The locations are generated from something in the ebook file and have nothing to do with the number of pages in the printed book. Someone else posted a more precise answer about what locations actually "are" but I don't remember the answer. What they aren't -- or don't have -- is any sort of correspondence to the paper pages.

If you want to know how many times you'll have to press "next page":

Determine the number of locations in the book (LB)
Determine how many locations are on the screen at the font you usually use (for me, it's usually 4) (LS)

Divide LB by LS come up with (approximate) next page presses (NPP).

So, with Whiskey Rebels:

LB = 8273
LS = 4
NPP = 2068

I suppose we could figure out how much battery is consumed with each NPP and determine the battery life in a book with 2068 NPPs.

Or, we could just read...LOL

L
Leslie, that was just one of those ive got nothing better to do moments. As bad as i am in math though it looks like i did it the right way. I better do some thumb exercises before i start the book. 14,000 page turns is alot!! :D

Thank you both!!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The most credible information I have found suggests that location numbers correspond to the number of 128 byte segments in the text, starting with the beginning of the text. These segments include formatting information such as the html formatting codes for italics and such (and possibly imbedded hyphenation), so you can't merely count the number of letters to get to 128 bytes.

I suspect it's a bit more complicated than that though.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.