Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Let's Talk Kindle, one of our members purchased a book from a self published author and downloaded it to her Kindle. Recently, she tried to re-download it and it's not longer eligible to be downloaded to her Kindle, only to iPad and Amazon Cloud Reader:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006R6JVH4/?tag=kbpst-20

My question is, is this something that an author sets when uploading a book to Kindle? I can't imagine why someone would want to publish a book on the Amazon store and then intentionally make a book unavailable to Kindles...

I've suggested the member contact the author as well as Amazon.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I don't remember ever choosing anything like that.  Maybe it's still on her Kindle and she doesn't realize it . . .?  That would explain why it wouldn't allow her to re-download it.  . . . just a guess.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jerri Lincoln said:
I don't remember ever choosing anything like that. Maybe it's still on her Kindle and she doesn't realize it . . .? That would explain why it wouldn't allow her to re-download it. . . . just a guess.
No, if you go to the link I provided, as a preparation to buy, there's a dropdown menu that lets you choose which Kindle to send it to once you click "buy." If I go to the link, with my four Kindles and IPad, the only things I can select are the iPad and the Amazon Cloud Reader.

So, it's embedded in the page, it's not just the member's account.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Weird!

I just tried to send a sample for the fun of it, and this is the message I got:

We did not find a Kindle device or reading app registered to your Amazon account for which this content is available
Register a free Kindle reading app and try your purchase again:
Get Kindle for iPad

I have a Kindle and Kindle for PC, but apparently it won't work with either of those. I'm not quite sure what to tell you. I'd have the reader contact customer service.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I retract my earlier "search" statement. Posted directly in the thread.

This sounds horrifying to me. I don't remember ever reading the option but I hope it's not just an error of the upload process.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
It has nothing to do with any book that might still be on her kindle. As Betsy said, if you actually look at the book with the link provided, under the page count it says "Available on on these devices" Only the cloud reader and ipad are listed.

I think we were just wondering if this is something the author/uploader sets, or if there is some bigger mixup at amazon going on. We see it on 2 books with this author.

And if you have a book already on the kindle and you try to send it again, it just won't show up again, but you can click the button all day long.  Not what the issue here is.

eta: I type slow  :D. If it was a uploading issue, wouldn't that have come up when it was first put up? This book has been up for a year. The reader had already read it once just fine on her kindle and now can't get it back onto one.  Strange.
So there is no setting you guys could accidentally change for that to happen?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I had this happen recently with Diary of a Wimpy kid.

It wouldn't let me select my kindle fire, but then it showed up on my fire anyway as part of my cloud, and I just downloaded it from there.

Editing because I remembered wrong. It would let me send it to my kindle fire, and my phone. But, it wouldn't let me send it to either of my kid's ipod's or my husband's phone, which is identical to my phone. It has all the devices listed as available, but in the dropdown they are all greyed out.

http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Wimpy-Kid-Book-ebook/dp/B005CRQ4OW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1357572340&sr=1-1&keywords=diary+of+a+wimpy+kid+series

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
My brother could not download my llatest free book (during its Select run) to his iPhone, even though he has the Kindle ap. And lately, my Kindle ap won't load onto my PC (I have a Kindle that I read on so I wasn't too worried.)

I thought maybe it was a problem on the user end, but maybe there is a much bigger issue going on.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Strange. I haven't looked into the "advanced" features that KF8 allows - is it possible the book is accidentally set as having some interactive features that only work on the Fire and Cloud reader? I say "accidentally" because this seems to be a basic novel.

I know that some nook children's books only work on certain devices, such as if it uses the "read to me" feature (which is different than text-to-speech). There are also some nook magazines that can only be read on certain devices due to interactive features.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eltanin Publishing said:
Strange. I haven't looked into the "advanced" features that KF8 allows - is it possible the book is accidentally set as having some interactive features that only work on the Fire and Cloud reader? I say "accidentally" because this seems to be a basic novel.

I know that some nook children's books only work on certain devices, such as if it uses the "read to me" feature (which is different than text-to-speech). There are also some nook magazines that can only be read on certain devices due to interactive features.
Well, in the case I posted about, it's the iPad and the Cloud reader, but your point is well taken anyway...

Betsy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts