Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says you need a mac computer to go direct through itunes.  Now, does anyone know if an ipad qualifies, or do you have to have a full on mac desktop or laptop?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You need a Mac. An iPad won't work.

But there are threads around here about a virtual Mac you can rent online. I don't know what it's called, but it's way less expensive than investing in a Mac.

Last February, I decided to buy a used MacBook Pro laptop so I could use it to upload. I loved it so much that I bought a brand new one in March and I've never looked back! I still have the first one and still love it, so haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of it, even though I've rarely used it since. My son's done some work for me on it, so I can justify keeping it that way :)

I've been using Scrivener to convert my books to epub and mobi. But now they offer a PC version of Scrivener, so doing the online virtual Mac makes financial sense.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
You can also have your books for sale on ARe?Omni books. You don't have to write romance. ARe is All Romance E-books and Omni is their branch for books that are not romances. If you do that, you can sign up to have them also put your books on I-tunes. :) I did that, as I want as many outlets as I can get.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Caddy said:
You can also have your books for sale on ARe?Omni books. You don't have to write romance. ARe is All Romance E-books and Omni is their branch for books that are not romances. If you do that, you can sign up to have them also put your books on I-tunes. :) I did that, as I want as many outlets as I can get.
That's good to know. The more stores, the better. What format does ARE take?

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Mac and iPad have different operating systems. When you are accepted by Apple, they give you a link to download the program needed for iTunes upload. That program runs on the Mac operating system, not the iPad IOS. Check their site to see what Mac operating systems work. There is a cut off.

Three iTunes steps:

1. Apply. Can be done on a PC.
2. Upload. Must be done on Mac.
3. Check sales, manage price, etc. Can be done on a PC.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
macincloud.com is the virtual mac people were using to publish to iTunes, but I read recently that it doesn't work anymore.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have a Mac and I've been knocking my head against a wall trying to publish to Apple. They're the biggest pain to publish to. I tried going direct, I tried going through Smashwords, and I still couldn't do it. Finally, I went to D2D, and even they had to call Apple and ask them what the problem was, but they were able to get the m/s published. Turns out the problem was on Apple's side. So, count me as another recommendation for D2D.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Daizie said:
Smashwords says it gets you into iBookstore. That's different than iTunes?
They're the same. The iBookstore is a section of ITunes.

Recently bought a Macbook Air in order to publish directly to the Apple. Published a test book (erotica) about two weeks ago, and it still hasn't appeared in the store.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Also, not only does Apple require you to have a non-iPad machine to publish, there is no app available for the Macbooks to allow you to view books from the IBookstore.  You can buy them through your Macbook, but you need something else (like an iPad) to view them.

And people say that Microsoft is restrictive?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
lacymarankevinmichael said:
It says you need a mac computer to go direct through itunes. Now, does anyone know if an ipad qualifies, or do you have to have a full on mac desktop or laptop?
Unfortunately an iPad won't work.
I believe there is an online service that will convert and post for you, but I find it best to have a Mac.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
lacymarankevinmichael said:
It says you need a mac computer to go direct through itunes. Now, does anyone know if an ipad qualifies, or do you have to have a full on mac desktop or laptop?
Also, if you go into the (brick and mortar) Apple store and ask this question, don't trust the answer they give you. I went in to confirm it, pretty sure you couldn't publish with an IPad. The first guy I talked to said, "Sure, no problem." When I asked if he was sure, he backed off slightly, but still said you could. Then I talked to someone else, and she gave me the same yes answer.

I told her I was interested in buying an IPad, but only if she could confirm that I could publish with it. So she went in the back for a few minutes, then came back out and said that no, you needed an actual computer with OS X to publish.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Don't you have a friend with a Mac who could lend it to you for a few hours ? ok maybe a week-end.
I've been a mac since 1983 (yeh, they did not even have hard disk at the time) and it took me an entire day to figure it out.
I also had helped from some threads with the picture issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts