Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in paying the $20 to remove special offers for my Kindle Paperwhite, but I have a question about what exactly it removes. My main annoyance is that almost half of the home screen near the bottom is taken up by "Popular Books" and "Daily Deal".

My question is, does removing the Special Offers get rid of those "Popular Books" and "Daily Deal" from the home screen, or does it only remove the "swipe to unlock" screen from sleep?

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
It's only going to remove the lock screen. . . .

You can get rid of the stuff at the bottom by either using list view, or disabling access to the Amazon store. It's in the menu settings from the home page. . . .the device options section.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
You don't have to buy out of Special Offers to get rid of the Recommended Content area. In one of the updates, Amazon made it so you can turn them off. From the Home Page, tap on Menu > Settings > Device Options > Personalize Your Kindle and turn "Recommended Content" Off.

I don't like the default covers for collections, so I view mine in list view anyway...but if you prefer cover view, the above ^ will remove them.

Betsy

Sent from Killashandra,
my Kindle Fire 4G

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic! And FREE!  How did I miss that?  Thanks Betsy and Ann

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Brooks said:
Fantastic! And FREE! How did I miss that? Thanks Betsy and Ann
Cloysterpete said:
It wasn't in settings to start with, they added it in an update.
CloysterPete is right, they added it in one of the updates, though it's been out a while now--it was added November 7th. Glad we could help!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
And I completely forgot about it. . . . . because I use list view so it's not an issue for me. ::)
;D

I LOL'd when I saw YOU were the one that posted about this change in the Update thread from Nov...
:D

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
;D

I LOL'd when I saw YOU were the one that posted about this change in the Update thread from Nov...

Betsy

And when you posted about it earlier in this thread. . . .I immediately gave myself a virtual Gibbs Slap. . . . . what can I say? Got a bit of a cold -- my brain is a bit muddled. ::) :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just a thought on a different note before removing Special Offers. Check out the default screensaver images before you do it. When I de-registered my old Kindle, I scrolled through the non Special Offers images before I shipped it back. While I'm not crazy about all the offers (Constant Edward for three days a couple months back!), generally I like them better than Escher pencils and the like.

I know others like them, but I'd suggest checking first, just in case you're like me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.