Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm going to try and make this short.  I have an idea for a self help book.  Through research and playing around, I have corrected my vision naturally.  I have bought programs with eye exercises that have helped me do this.  With ideas from a couple different eye exercise programs, I invented one of my own that is way effective.  In basically two months time I will have gone from a prescription of -7.5 in my right eye and a -7 in my left eye to not needing glasses.  I'm only about a month and a week in and have moved my eyes to a -5 in my right eye and a -4.5 in my left.  I figure at the current rate, it will only take another 3 weeks maybe longer.  I have had brief periods of totally clear vision without the aid of glasses or contacts, so I think it is a matter of building up the strength. 

So, all the exercises I do, except the one I invented, can be found for free by googling eye exercises.  The one I invented is way effective.  I have been wearing contacts or glasses for 36 years.  When I would do my exercise my eyes would try to focus.  The problem was that my eye muscles had atrophied so much over 36 years that it hurt.  It was like when you first exercise for the first time in a long time.  My periods of clarity come after doing my exercise.

My idea for a self help book will be short.  I will tell my story and then what I did including my new exercise.  I only plan on charging .99 or 1.99. 

So, my questions.  Is this a good idea for a self help book?  And are there other self help writers in our group here on kboards that know how to promote?

****UPDATE. 06/01/2015 Boy were my estimations off but I'm still making progress.  I am now at a -3.5 in my left eye and a -4.5 in my right eye.  That is 3 1/2 prescription improvement in my left eye and a 3 prescription improvement in my right.  The reason for the full prescription difference between the eyes is I move one eye at a time and wait for one to build up strength before moving the other.  Anyway my new estimation is about 3 more months before I am contact free.

I have written the book and it is with my editor.  The slower process allowed me to play more with the exercises and I think I found the right combination for the best results.  I am thinking of releasing it before I reach perfect vision and update it when I do. :)  I've even set up an email address for people to ask me questions about what I've done. 

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
carinasanfey said:
If this works, hell yeah it's a good idea, but... surely if this were possible, umm, people would already know about it?? Aside from that, aren't you opening yourself up to lawsuits by giving (quite unorthodox) medical advice?
I will put a disclaimer at the begining about not being a doctor. And I am going to title it "what I did" to fix my nearsightedness not something that claims to fix everyones. And it works. I'm actually having some friends and family members with glasses try it so by the time I put it out, I have more than just myself as the test dummy lol

And I plan on getting my last prescription and will add it to the book and then go to the eye doctor and show what my vision is now.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carinasanfey said:
I remain highly skeptical, but if it gets glowing reviews I'll certainly be buying it for my inconvenient -9 eyes! Sounds a wee bit cheaper than laser surgery. 8)
I understand. The funny thing for me, is how ticked I am at the eye industry because if I would have gotten this kind of stuff in my younger years I wouldn't have had the fight to get my vision back what it was.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JTCochrane said:
I understand. The funny thing for me, is how ticked I am at the eye industry because if I would have gotten this kind of stuff in my younger years I wouldn't have had the fight to get my vision back what it was.
Sorry, I'm at my day job and typing fast. I hope that makes sense. lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
JT,

Honestly? It sounds worth pursuing. Just don't let the cat out of
the bag (do not discuss it, but write it) until after you have the book written,
up & selling.

If you can truly make good on your claim...
We'll have to call you the Amazing JT!

Anything that can help improve someone's sight...am all for it. I wear reading
glasses myself... If I could do without them, I would.

I hope this gets you motivated.

Now, as Cin might say, get to work.  ;D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kirkee said:
JT,

Honestly? It sounds worth pursuing. Just don't let the cat out of
the bag (do not discuss it, but write it) until after you have the book written,
up & selling.

If you can truly make good on your claim...
We'll have to call you the Amazing JT!

Anything that can help improve someone's sight...am all for it. I wear reading
glasses myself... If I could do without them, I would.

I hope this gets you motivated.

Now, as Cin might say, get to work. ;D
The rough draft is almost finished. I am going to wait until I am glasses and contacts free before I publish it. :)

I will update my post with my progress. I used to think that I would slowly keep changing my precription back every week/month or so, but now the last few times I do it. I have periods of time with clarity. I'm now thinking that it will just grow longer and longer until I don't need my glasses or contacts any more.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I would rather see you go ahead and publish it to show you need glasses less often.    Note your idea is not new.  There are already at least 10 ebooks on that subject.

Now if you want to write the ultimate self help book, I will gladly volunteer my craft room for re-organization.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cinisajoy said:
I would rather see you go ahead and publish it to show you need glasses less often. Note your idea is not new. There are already at least 10 ebooks on that subject.

Now if you want to write the ultimate self help book, I will gladly volunteer my craft room for re-organization.
I did notice there were other ebooks on the subject. :) This will tell what I did to make it work. A lot of those claim to help several different eye problems. I'm mostly focused on nearsightedness. Although, 5 years ago I thought I was going to have to use bifocals and that is all corrected.

G

·
Self-Help books live and die on the credibility of the writer. You have no medical background, no evidence your eye improvement was specifically from your special eye exercise beyond your own say so, and frankly from what you are describing, you may have something else going on with your vision that is not actually eye related. You said, " I have had brief periods of totally clear vision without the aid of glasses or contacts." That frankly just sounds bizarre and not natural for the vision to temporarily go clear and then back to unclear.

I have sensitive eyes due to hyper-light sensitivity. Because I work on a computer all day, I've been over a lot of stuff with my doctor on how to protect my eyes. And yes, some of that includes eye exercises. BUT, just like any other muscle, some exercises are only good for very specific types of problems and may actually make different problems worse.

I know this is a self-publishing section of the site and we are all "Rah rah rah go indie!" But playing around with people's vision is no joke. And giving bad advice can do real harm. Until you have done substantial research on why these exercises would work and what SPECIFIC issues they are designed to correct, I wouldn't encourage you to self-publish. When it comes to medical issues, I consider it irresponsible to encourage someone to self-publish something that could actually cause someone to not seek professional treatment or might do harm. And putting a disclaimer that you are not a doctor doesn't remove your culpability if someone gets hurt following your advice. At least, not morally.

For the sake of credibility (and your own eye health) you should consider talking to your eye doctor about the causes of your vision problems and to have him help you determine the real reason for your random vision changes. I would never buy a book on eye health from a person with no health training and whose only credibility is "this worked for me." BUT, if you can convince your doctor that these processes work, and he can replicate them with other patients, the two of you could partner on the project.

The thing is, people who are looking for help on a problem don't shop on price. As has been discussed often, people don't by self-help books because they are cheap. They buy them because they need help and need help that is trustworthy. You would be much better off getting someone with some medical credentials behind you, and then charging a higher price, to establish that you actually know what you are talking about. I'd be much more comfortable seeing an actual eye doctor endorsing these exercises for a specific condition.

This is a subject I always take issue with, because I have known people who have done real damage to themselves, and their children, by following the "advice" they got on some website or out of some book. Whether it is the cousin who's kid suffered with Crone's disease for three years while mom followed some "gluten detox" book or the anti-vaxxers or on and on. I know I'm not the most popular person around here and have a reputation of being a wet blanket, but we are talking about issues that impact quality of life. Not just fiction.

My point...get some credentials behind you before self-publishing. Dot your 'i's and cross your 't's. Get someone to confirm that your vision is changing because of the exercises and not because of a change in the weather or a diet change or one of the hundred other reasons that can cause it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
carinasanfey said:
Wait... you say above with certainty that it works, yet you are still wearing glasses and contacts?

I'm with Julie on this. You may well be advising people to do something that will damage their eyes. Personally, I wouldn't buy a self-help book on this topic without a large-scale double-blind study done by actual experts on the subject, and, um, it sounds like you're just a guy who wears glasses and hopes sometime soon he might not.
It has backed my eyes up 2.5 prescriptions already in each eye in 5 weeks. And the periods of clarity come when i do the eye exercises. It isn't a random thing that has ever happened until I did the exercises. Like I said, I'm writing it from my prespective on what I did.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also the exercises aren't anything you probably aren't doing here and there every day with your eyes already.  It's just following a certain pattern. 

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Be sure and put be sure and check with your doctor before attempting these exercises.
I have worn bifocals since I was 21.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YoMama said:
Are people BUYING the other ebooks on the subject? That should tell you if it's worthwhile to write one or now
I didn't look at all of them the one I looked at is.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cinisajoy said:
Be sure and put be sure and check with your doctor before attempting these exercises.
I have worn bifocals since I was 21.
I told my eye doctor what I was going to do and she encouraged me to give the exercises a try. She backed my prescription up for me. Most of the exercises were created by eye doctors. The one I created is a combination of two of those. You would be shocked it I told you what it is and how simple it is. Everybody does the pieces every day, just not together.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
JTCochrane said:
I told my eye doctor what I was going to do and she encouraged me to give the exercises a try. She backed my prescription up for me. Most of the exercises were created by eye doctors. The one I created is a combination of two of those. You would be shocked it I told you what it is and how simple it is. Everybody does the pieces every day, just not together.
This may be the case but without the warning I posted, you are opening yourself up for lawsuits. It is in your best interest to put all the disclaimers you can. Now if I might be so bold, what caused your nearsightedness? There are different causes and in my case, your exercises might help a little bit but I will always need glasses. Now other more important question is your eye doctor an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cinisajoy said:
This may be the case but without the warning I posted, you are opening yourself up for lawsuits. It is in your best interest to put all the disclaimers you can. Now if I might be so bold, what caused your nearsightedness? There are different causes and in my case, your exercises might help a little bit but I will always need glasses. Now other more important question is your eye doctor an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?
I agree and planned on putting a disclaimers at the beginning. I don't know that I could answer what caused my nearsightedness. I was told I needed reading glasses in 5th grade over 36 years ago and then my vision just went down hill from there. Every year or so my eyes got slowly worse. I will find out the answer to your other question. Like I said the exercises are things everyone does everyday. Probably not in this specific way or duration. I don't touch my eyes with my fingers or push on or poke them with any objects lol.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Ok. Hi again.  There is a big difference between needing glasses to read and needing glasses to keep from running  over small things like walls.    All you have to do is ask your eye doctor what is causing your eyesight problem.  Now for what it's worth, I would like to see your book too.  I just want to be able to see 18 count Aida without needing a magnifying glass in addition to my glasses.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cinisajoy said:
Ok. Hi again. There is a big difference between needing glasses to read and needing glasses to keep from running over small things like walls. All you have to do is ask your eye doctor what is causing your eyesight problem. Now for what it's worth, I would like to see your book too. I just want to be able to see 18 count Aida without needing a magnifying glass in addition to my glasses.
My eyes were at -7.5 and -7 so yes, I need them to keep from running over objects lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts