Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay . . . I've decided it's time to (to quote a zombie movie, because, hey, it's me, and it's relevant in a roundabout way to what I'll be self-publishing) nut up or shut up.  I'm going to self-publish a book.

Not fiction, though, and because of what I'm looking to do, I'm a little skittish about moving forward on it.  I REALLY want to go through CreateSpace so that I can get the book sold through Amazon.  However, I don't think it's something that would work on the Kindle because I have some fairly specific formatting requirements for what I want to do.

My understanding is that Kindle books use "adjustable" formatting.  That is, depending on what size the reader uses for their font, the number of words per page is variable.  If I wanted to have some graphics and limit what goes on what page, I don't see the Kindle as a viable option for my non-fiction-ish project.

Am I right here re: how Kindle publishing works?  Or is there a way as a writer/creator to "lock" the page appearance of a Kindle book?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Technically you could lock the text if you inserted it as an image rather than actual text (similar to the way a .pdf works), but if you do too much of that, you'll end up with a huge file and might annoy some readers who prefer larger or smaller text.

Victorine said:
Can you give me an example of why you would want to?
I'm also curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The book I'm working on is a trivia book, and my original intention was to provide questions on one page with answers on a follow-up page, with some graphic elements added into the mix.

Thanks for the input and answers so far . . . !

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't help with the formatting because I barely scraped by with my own basic formatting.

I do, however, want to congratulate you on deciding to publish!

·
Registered
982 Posts
BrotherD said:
The book I'm working on is a trivia book, and my original intention was to provide questions on one page with answers on a follow-up page, with some graphic elements added into the mix.

Thanks for the input and answers so far . . . !
You can insert page breaks to put the questions and answers on different pages.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If all you are doing is page breaks - yes that can be done. Use

<mbp:pagebreak />

Whenever you want to do this.

As for more sophsticated formatting...When I was at BEA there was a company whose niche is they allow for formatting in ebooks like print books where you can "design" spaciing a placement of pictures. The techology only works on epub formats (as far as I know) so it would make a book on, say an Ipad look great. The name of the company is and I believe their produce is currently in "beta" so you can take it for a test drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts