Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just got the Kindle 2 and it's my first Kindle.  I LOVE it. :)  I do have a question.  If I were to send a PDF file to my Kindle to be converted over to Kindle format who gets to view it?  Say it has lots of my business information on it, like account numbers and credit card numbers and social security numbers is that file safe from prying eyes before it gets to my Kindle?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Crodley said:
Hi folks,

Just got the Kindle 2 and it's my first Kindle. I LOVE it. :) I do have a question. If I were to send a PDF file to my Kindle to be converted over to Kindle format who gets to view it? Say it has lots of my business information on it, like account numbers and credit card numbers and social security numbers is that file safe from prying eyes before it gets to my Kindle?

Thanks in advance!
Ah, Bernie Madoff, was wondering when you'd get around to asking this. Your information is as secure as any sent over a 3G network. Anything you were comfortable sending over Blackberry or IPhone, you can send via whispernet, warrants notwithstanding. If you need something more secure, use dead-drops, or run for President. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Madoff, hehe.  No, I didn't mean how secure the 3G network was, I mean when you send a file to your Kindle it goes to Amazon to be converted, then sent to your Kindle.  Who sees it at Amazon?  That's what I meant. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Or you could convert it yourself and use the USB connection to move it to your K2.  That way you know nobody else gets to see the info.

Check out Mobireader or Mobicreator or Calibre, each can convert PDF to .prc or .mobi file which can be read on K2.

Also, how are you creating the PDF?  Maybe that software can save the data as a .prc or .mobi or one of the other formats the K2 can understand.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Crodley said:
Say it has lots of my business information on it, like account numbers and credit card numbers and social security numbers is that file safe from prying eyes before it gets to my Kindle?

Thanks in advance!
I am not sure if you are talking about your personal information or thinking about information related to business clients. I assume you are talking about your own personal information, which should be ok. I personally would never do it just because the Kindle is not exactly a secure device. There is nothing to prevent someone from accessing all of this information if they get a hold of your Kindle.

I feel it is worth mentioning, just in case the information is not your own. I only offer a warning that you will want to be VERY careful. Consumer Privacy laws, client privacy agreements, and even employment contracts, are strict on things like this. I work for a financial instituition myself. Transferring any of the information listed above for our clients or other employees, to ANY device that is not "owned" by the company and secured in some way, breaks all of these laws and agreements and will result in immediate termination of employment. Not to mention what the people can do to the company if they find out about it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arkhan said:
I only offer a warning that you will want to be VERY careful. Consumer Privacy laws, client privacy agreements, and even employment contracts, are strict on things like this.
Not to worry, I was just using that as an example. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Crodley said:
Not to worry, I was just using that as an example. :)
I assumed that was the case. Figured I would just mention it. I doubt you have to worry about anyone reading it unless you contacted support about a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
thejackylking said:
It goes straight to an automated converter and then sent right back to you. No need for human intervention.
I met someone from Amazon, Her name was "Automated Converter". She said Amazon described her as "not being very human", but she disagreed and offered to sell me some interesting info! :D

Steve

B

·
0 Posts
stevene9 said:
I met someone from Amazon, Her name was "Automated Converter". She said Amazon described her as "not being very human", but she disagreed and offered to sell me some interesting "GIGO!" :D

Steve
Fixed. ;)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
davem2bits said:
Check out Mobireader or Mobicreator or Calibre, each can convert PDF to .prc or .mobi file which can be read on K2.
Just to point out, Mobireader does not convert files. It is program used to read books on your PC. Mobicreator is a converter.

For Macs, many people use Stanza (in case you have a Mac).

L

·
Registered
463 Posts
Crodley said:
If I were to send a PDF file to my Kindle to be converted over to Kindle format who gets to view it? Say it has lots of my business information on it, like account numbers and credit card numbers and social security numbers is that file safe from prying eyes before it gets to my Kindle?
Info like your credit card number and SSN should never be sent anywhere via email, unless you have an encrypted channel (that PDF and the mobi file returned are neither), as there are email sniffers out there that do routinely grab and sift through emails (email doesn't go just from your computer to the ISP server, then straight to Amazon, but through numerous other routers and networks, only one of which need be compromised in order to let someone passively copy/monitor all traffic on it). For company info, assuming it is not their CC #'s and SSN's, using the automatic system is probably fine (it's unlikely that a competitor of yours is trying to snag a customer list, for example). If it does have SSN's, state and federal privacy laws govern both how you can transmit the info and how/where you can store it (and what notification you have to give if you lose that Kindle, for example).

Of course, if you had a K1, you could put that info on an SD card and only have to worry about it's physical security (removal when not in use and proper lockup, for example).

As to the 3G network - there are already proof of concepts out there for hackers grabbing data being sent (and perhaps even those who are doing so: hackers seldom advertise what they are doing, so you only read about what is possible and who has been caught).

·
Registered
737 Posts
Arkhan said:
I personally would never do it just because the Kindle is not exactly a secure device. There is nothing to prevent someone from accessing all of this information if they get a hold of your Kindle.
Another thing they didn't fix in the K2!!! Even the cheapest cell phone has a lock feature. I guess the keyboard artists were busy try to do folders and didn't have time to fix this one. Maybe for K3.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Leslie said:
Just to point out, Mobireader does not convert files. It is program used to read books on your PC. Mobicreator is a converter.

I stand corrected, L.

Funning thing you mention it. It was the windows version of Stanza that I used to covert by first PDFs. Until I came here and learned from the master. Thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Leslie said:

L
Calibre can also be used on a Mac.
Patricia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leslie said:

L
Actually, I believe that Mobireader can convert files as well, you just can't modify the metadata. Just drag and drop files and it will automatically convert.

Tritryst

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Tritryst said:
Actually, I believe that Mobireader can convert files as well, you just can't modify the metadata. Just drag and drop files and it will automatically convert.

Tritryst
Hm, you might be right, but if I was advising anyone who said, "I want to convert this PDF," I'd tell them to use Mobipocket Creator. Getting the file into the reader and then saving it just seems too wonky to me. JMO, YMMV.

L

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leslie said:
Hm, you might be right, but if I was advising anyone who said, "I want to convert this PDF," I'd tell them to use Mobipocket Creator. Getting the file into the reader and then saving it just seems too wonky to me. JMO, YMMV.

L
But that wasn't what you said, you said Mobipocket cannot convert documents which is totally wrong.

Have you ever used Mobipocket to convert a document? It doesn't appear from your comments that you have. You open the reader, drag the file you want to import into the window, and it automatically converts and *saves*to a .prc. Extremely easy to use.

Now you know that Mobipocket can be used to convert documents even if it's not what you would recommend to people.

T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts