Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby ordered the Kindle as a Christmas gift.  He put the shipping to him at our home address.  I went in and changed the order so that it's a gift (no wrapping, but a note to go with the item).  Is there anything else that I should change on the order so that the Kindle isn't registered to my hubby?  I heard that Amazon will send emails before shipping to get you started with the Kindle account.  I don't want to have to deregister then register it under my name when I get it.  I just don't want any delays once I get my grubby little hands on it.  I promise to wash my hands before touching it though.  ;D

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
If he ordered it, it's probably registered to his account. You can de-register it but you probably won't be able to re-register it until you have a serial number. Actually, I would advise against de-registering it. That might cause problems when it does arrive, depending on how the serial number is recorded in the system. I have heard about people having problems with this.

I think you should just be patient. Don't buy any books while it is on your husband's account, because then that's where the books will be.

L

·
Registered
325 Posts
I received mine as a gift from my fiance. As I remember, it was fairly easy to register it to my account. I think all I had to do was type in the serial number.

As far as I know, he put it as a "gift" when he ordered it. I know I didn't have to ask him to deregister it before I could register it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I found the registering/deregistering process very simple.  I purchased a Kindle for my father in law as a gift and wanted to download a book before giving it to him so that he could immediately begin using it.  When I received his Kindle, it was registered to my account.  I downloaded a book to his Kindle while it was still registered to me, then I deregistered it (simple 2 step process) before giving it to him.  After he received it, he just entered his Amazon account e-mail and password and was all set up on his own account.  The nice thing for me was that when I received my own Kindle (unregistered as it was a gift), I registered it to my account and the book I had purchased for my FIL was already there, so I just downloaded it onto my Kindle.  We were able to both read the same book at the same time without difficulty.

Sorry - long, drawn out answer, but I would not be at all concerned about switching the registration on the Kindle from your husband's account to yours when you receive the Kindle.  It's very simple and fast to do.  In the meanwhile, you can purchase all kinds of books on your account and have them ready to download when your fabulous K arrives!  Better yet, why not share an account so no switching of registration is necessary?  You would only need to download the books you like to your own K, but you could share books you both enjoy. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
ConnieK said:
In the meanwhile, you can purchase all kinds of books on your account and have them ready to download when your fabulous K arrives!
You need to have a Kindle registered to your account before you can purchase Kindle e-books.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Lotus said:
I received mine as a gift from my fiance. As I remember, it was fairly easy to register it to my account. I think all I had to do was type in the serial number.

As far as I know, he put it as a "gift" when he ordered it. I know I didn't have to ask him to deregister it before I could register it.
This was my experience as well. When the Kindle came, I registered it and got my welcome letter from Jeff. Then I proceeded to hit all th ebuttons and screw up the instruction manual. I managed to cause it to freeze, did a hard reboot, and was just about to pout when the fiance came home. He got it to the right place and looked at me with that "If you would not act impulsivly and press buttns like mad you wouldn't have these problems". I downloaded 8 books in the time it took him to look at me like that. I was very happy. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
ProfCrash said:
This was my experience as well. When the Kindle came, I registered it and got my welcome letter from Jeff. Then I proceeded to hit all th ebuttons and screw up the instruction manual. I managed to cause it to freeze, did a hard reboot, and was just about to pout when the fiance came home. He got it to the right place and looked at me with that "If you would not act impulsivly and press buttns like mad you wouldn't have these problems". I downloaded 8 books in the time it took him to look at me like that. I was very happy. :)
Is this how you got the ProfCrash moniker? :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input!

I've got my wish list on my account so I will register under that account.  Usually, hubby will use my account to buy stuff from Amazon, but to keep my Christmas gift a secret, he opened up his own account.  I think once the Kindle arrives, his account will become dormant.  If we decide to get another Kindle, it'll be on my account so we can share all the books that I plan on buying  ;D.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest about this issue.  Oh, how I sweat the small stuff...maybe I should go add that book......

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
jmeaders said:
Is this how you got the ProfCrash moniker? :D
hehehe Crash came from a car accident when I was 16 and the Prof part came from when I was a Prof. But it fits here. I was so anxious to get Tavar charged and start downloading books that I was moving too fast and panicked. We were leaving for the airport a mere two hours after he arrived.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts