Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been posted before, but I cannot find it.  I am looking for a cover for my new Kindle. I too don't have warm fuzzy feelings about the stock cover.  I am afraid it is not very secure, although I have hooked the elastic band over the lower right corner and it seems a little better.  I am looking at Strangedog, but can't find a picture of the inside.  I read on his site that he hand makes metal corners.  Do they scratch the Kindle?  I just can't picture it in my head.  Can someone describe them a little better for me? And is the cover padded where it comes in contact with the screen?  That is the only thing I really like about the stock cover.  I have also looked at Medge. It looks nice but I see no padding where it contacts the screen.  I am very impressed with the Oberon. It seems everyone likes it.  Is the wool felt lofty enough to pad the screen?  Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.  :-*

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I don't have an answer yet, but I'll let you know in a few days when I get my Strangedog cover. :)

I really doubt the screen isn't protected in some way though. People would've complained fiercely about something like that by now.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
I am looking at Strangedog, but can't find a picture of the inside. I read on his site that he hand makes metal corners. Do they scratch the Kindle?
Here is a picture from the Amazon Kindle page that shows the inside of the StrangeDog cover. It's not the greatest picture, but you can see the white colored metal part next to the spine. The Kindle slides into the metal holder and is secured on the right by a piece of Velcro. And no, the cover does not scratch the Kindle.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mona,

Thanks so much for the picture.  It is exactly what I wanted to see.  So many covers to choose from  :eek:

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
... I read on his site that he hand makes metal corners. Do they scratch the Kindle? I just can't picture it in my head. Can someone describe them a little better for me? And is the cover padded where it comes in contact with the screen? ...
I received my Strangedog cover yesterday. (Now if Amazon would just ship my K!) The inside of the top of the metal corners (the part that would touch the front of the Kindle) is lined with what may be thin soft leather. It seems to me that will help protect the part of the Kindle immediately under the metal corners. I also like the thought of more padding to protect the screen. It looks as if it might be possible to put a piece of wool felt (slightly smaller than the front cover) into the front pocket if more padding is needed. DH laughed at me when I looked for a DTB that would fit in the Strangedog cover. I could not find one as they were either too big or too small. :)
Anna

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Annalog,  Make sure you really want that wool felt.  It is one of the things about my Oberon I really dislike.  I covered it.  It will leave lint on your Kindle and my scroll wheel gathered so much of it I couldn't stand it.  It will also attract lint, pet hair. etc.  Maybe you'll be fine with it but I just wanted to share my feelings about it.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
Annalog, Make sure you really want that wool felt. It is one of the things about my Oberon I really dislike. I covered it. It will leave lint on your Kindle and my scroll wheel gathered so much of it I couldn't stand it. It will also attract lint, pet hair. etc. Maybe you'll be fine with it but I just wanted to share my feelings about it.
I have some wool felt that I used when making paper and it has been washed. I was just going to slip it into the pocket inside the front cover of the Strangedog cover. If it does not work well then I can just take it out. I was not going to glue or sew it in unless I found out that I liked it. I suspect that since this felt has been washed that it will not either shed or attract lint as much as unwashed wool felt. (Does washing wool felt make it extra felted? ;) )
Anna

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi all,
If you go to Strangedog's site, in the middle of the Home screen under the picture is a button labeled More Pictures.  Click on that and you will see pix of what they look like opened and with his Kindle in some of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts