Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went crazy and bought 15 Complete Classic Works books yesterday and everything downloaded just fine. I noticed the battery was getting low and charged it before I went to bed. Normally I turn it off, but last night I put it in sleep mode. When I woke up this morning and tried to wake up the Kindle, it was frozen.

It would not reset until I plugged it in and once it did I unplugged it and found that the battery was completely drained. I charged it up and then turned it on a couple of hours ago. After one hour of reading the battery had drained halfway down.

So, here's my question. The books must have totalled between 70 or 80 Megs and I know that they are indexed. I'm just not sure what is indexed. The titles or the whole books? I'm trying to figure out if my battery is dying, if it is I need to order a new one pronto, or is it just being overworked by my loading so many large files on it? Anyone have any idea?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My understanding is that they index the whole books, so if you do a search, they can find any instance of the term you are searching for. I have also heard that the Kindle will take a long time to index new books if they are large and it can affect the battery.

It sounds like this may be what is going on but I'll leave it to others to be more specific, since I haven't had this experience on my own Kindle.

L

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer. I wasn't sure if anybody would know since I doubt that very many people have loaded that much on it at one time. LOL. That index file, wherever it is, must be huge. I guess I'll just keep charging it for the next couple of days and see if the problem goes away before I order another battery. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
asordu said:
Thank you for your answer. I wasn't sure if anybody would know since I doubt that very many people have loaded that much on it at one time. LOL. That index file, wherever it is, must be huge. I guess I'll just keep charging it for the next couple of days and see if the problem goes away before I order another battery. Thanks again!
Can you give us an update on this? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CS, I wouldn't worry about it. I loaded up a whole bunch of very large files on it and yes, the battery is still draining pretty quickly while its indexing. But just to give you an idea, I loaded on approximately 250 novels and around 1700 short stories.  :D

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
asordu said:
CS, I wouldn't worry about it. I loaded up a whole bunch of very large files on it and yes, the battery is still draining pretty quickly while its indexing. But just to give you an idea, I loaded on approximately 250 novels and around 1700 short stories. :D
WOW! But I understand your passion. When I discovered www.freekindlebooks.org (and other sites like that), I was like a kid in a candy shop planning all of the things I wanted to add (I'm still waiting for my Kindle to arrive).

Will the battery stop draining once everything is indexed?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd also like to know how this works out because I intend to have my entire library on Kindle some day. I guess we could always keep stuff on computer then load it to read, but that wouldn't be as cool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way I understand it is that when you load a book, Kindle searches it and places the key words in a hidden file somewhere so that when you perform a search the book will show up in the results. It's a one-time thing for each file you download. Once it's indexed there is no further drain on the battery.

My problem was that I put SO much on at one time, close to 80MB's that it put a big drain on the system. I didn't even think about that happening until it did and it caught me off guard. Once its done a quick index, though, you're good to go. It won't matter how many books you have on your Kindle or on your SD card. It won't affect the battery at all. If you go and load that much up at one time, like I did, be prepared to charge it up a few extra times until the indexing is done.  :)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
asordu said:
If you go and load that much up at one time, like I did, be prepared to charge it up a few extra times until the indexing is done. :)
Is the indexing finally done? How long did it take and how many times did you need to charge your Kindle during the process? Is everything back to normal now?

Inquiring minds wanna know. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it's done. I normally charge mine once a day because I spend so much time reading everyday. There were only a couple, maybe three days that I had to charge it twice a day and that was it. Everything's back to normal.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Oh, it's an indexing thing. That's good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This happened to me today and I freaked out. My kindle was completely charged but I dumped a ton of books on it yesterday. I put it to sleep but left it on like I usually do. Today I went to look at it and it was frozen and the screen was dim like it was off. It wouldn't unfreeze, or wake up- I tried to reset it several times. I thought my kindle was dead. Luckily before I completely panicked or gave a call customer service I thought to try charging it. I didn't immediately think of trying this because I knew it had a full battery so I didn't think that could be the problem. It worked, but it did the whole slow turn on though like it was starting up for the first time. My kindle looks fine now but I won't be surprised if it is still indexing and drains the battery again.

Anyway I'm bumping this thread so if anyone else has this happen with the indexing battery drain they won't think their kindle died.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Kindler,

250 novels and 1700 short stories!  WOW!!  How do you manage that quantity on the Kindle without folders. I'm already loading some of mine to folders on the computer so I can keep track of them. How many pages is your Home page or content manager?

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts