Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a lot of people complaining about the New Oxford American Dictionary that comes with the K1. Does anyone have a better reccomendation? Is there a more widely accepted version out there?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't give the pronunciation for the words. I'm not aware of any other versions. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wannabe said:
The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't give the pronunciation for the words. I'm not aware of any other versions. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Are you sure?

When you lookup a line of words, click the scroll-wheel beside an individual word. It then shows that word alone. Mine gives pronunciations that way.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't really like it because it seems to be missing a lot of words.  But when it has a word, love it!!!

Does the K2 have the same dictionary?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
K2 has the same dictionary.  No other large dictionary is available for Kindle yet, as far as I know.  Dictionaries have to be specially formatted to work with the Lookup function.

Just for fun, I recently kept a list of words I looked up, and whether it was found or not.  Then, if not found, whether it was in the OED, which I have in DT version.

Found on Kindle:
commination
anamorphosis
dithyramb
logomachy
repine
kyphosis
coadjutor
giaour

Not Found on Kindle:
ananmesis  (not in OED)
lamaic (OED)
petronel (in OED)
pulmotor (not in OED)
monostichs (OED)
parallelopiped (not in OED)
parazonium (OED)
ascham (OED)

Not every word is going to be in any one dictionary.  As you can see, some were not in the OED, and if they aren't there, it is a REALLY strange, uncommon word!

·
Registered
552 Posts
mwvickers said:
Are you sure?

When you lookup a line of words, click the scroll-wheel beside an individual word. It then shows that word alone. Mine gives pronunciations that way.
Yup, if you click on the defined word another screen will pop up with pronunciation and a bit more of the definition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts