Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write erotic romance.  I'm just curious to see how well other erotic romance writers are doing on kindle (or nook, smashwords, etc).  I'm speaking specifically of erotic ROMANCE, not erotica. I've heard of erotica authors doing well, but didn't know if that applied to erotic romance as well.

Not looking for specifics, just wondering what the market is like.  I'll write what I like anyway, just curious.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I write erotic romance under a different name, and did very well on B&N in February and March.  Things slowed down dramatically after that, but I'm still making about half my income from B&N (and most of my sales over there are my erotic romances).  Mine are fairly vanilla-- I think stuff with menage or a little kink might sell better, generally speaking.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Juliette, I also write erotic romance when I am not writing mystery or science fiction or something else.

It is fun to write erotic romance since you can get into areas that you can only imply in regular novels.

My new Hawkins family series that I started publishing on Amazon a couple of weeks back are doing well. It is about a man that marries a woman and a year later finds out he has been living with identical twins. Since he likes both of them, he continues. Of course, the erotic scenes can get more racy with two women.

The first in the series Ben and His Twin Wives has already sold well and will probably be my best seller.

I only publish with Amazon though since I like to put all my efforts into one area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I write erotic romance under another name, and my book has been in the top 100 paid for almost a month. I'm VERY excited about that. I got named in an Amazon newsletter and sales took off. But even before that, they were better than any of my other books ever.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
It is about a man that marries a woman and a year later finds out he has been living with identical twins. Since he likes both of them, he continues.
Out of curiosity, Franklin, what's in it for them? (I've got my fingers crossed that one is a murderer and they've both been pretending to be the other sister.)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exciting, MJ!  Top 100 is a big deal.

Ellen, I've heard that erotic romance and erotica sell better over at B&N.  Does anyone know why that is? 

·
Registered
294 Posts
You rock, MJ! How cool! :D

The Droid Who Loved Me is an erotic romance, and since I released it mid last month it's sold 96 copies.

It's just started picking up in the past week or two, so I'm excited! ;)

I hope the market stays awesome because I'm planning a trilogy next. Woo hoo!

·
Registered
547 Posts
My hot romance from one of my small publishers sells better than any of my fantasy romances OR my self-pubbed short stories. Not great, but better.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
southerntype, actually this novel is about a new type of marriage.  It works well for these twins.  They help Ben with his computer programing and become rich in the process.  The women are in the marriage because they want to be.

We have this myth that marriage should be between a man and a woman, as if this is the natural order.  That is completely false.  If we look at cultures through history, plural type marriages were common.  When Rome got into power, it changed marriage to one man and one woman.  With the Church behind it, soon it sounded like God was for it too.

Marriage should be between consenting adults and be any way they want it, whether it is between one man and more than one women or one woman and more than one man.  It should be up to the people involved.

There are advantages for the women.  One thing is that have another women to help raise her children.  They also have another woman to talk too. Women tend to be more social than men so would like other women around.

Marriage in the future will take many forms.  I think the Government and religion should stay out of it and let people decide.

But the bottom line is that women should pick successful men for mates. That is the way it works in the natural world.  A successful man should produce more offspring than unsuccessful ones.

Our present system of one man and one woman is not successful at all.  Half of all marriages fail here in the U.S.  Plural marriages couldn't do any worse.

But keep in mind that is actually fiction and I don't know if it would work in the real world.  But is does work well in a fictional setting.  And the novels are selling well.  This is actually a series and the other novels in the series are selling well too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the average word count for your erotic pieces?  This question is directed toward Juliette, Ellen, Franklin, MJ, Delilah and Jody.  (Of course, anyone else who writes erotica is welcome to answer.)  And do the short ones sell as well as the longer ones?  Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have seven published now. The shortest one is just over 7,000 words. That's really about the shortest I'd be comfortable with and I have no plans to do anything that short again. Another one is over 10,000 words. Three of them run from 12,000 to 16,000. Another is 50,000 words. So I guess I have a pretty wide range when it comes to word count.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ashley Lynn Willis said:
Thanks Erica and MJ! Do the longer ones tend to sell better? Or is it pretty even across the board on length vs. sales ratio?
My best-seller so far is one of the 12,000 word novelettes. The 50,000 word novel ranks 3rd or 4th among my sales. I think it's really about the story you're telling. It's a quality over quantity. Now, I don't think that means you can put something out there that's 2,000 words and expect to hit the big time. :D Like I said earlier, I wouldn't do another 7,000 word story again. I think the only way I'd do that is if it was part of a bundle, an extra freebie or something thrown in with a collection of existing stories.

Okay, I'm rambling now....

·
Registered
294 Posts
My short stories are about 2500-3500 words long, and those are actually my bestsellers :).  Droid Who Loved Me is my longest at 16,000 words.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts