Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Seleya said:
Seconded in full.
The Silmarillion was the second book I read in the original English (I had already read it in Italian) and I fell in love with the prose from the first page.

It's not a novel, it was not meant to be one and it shouldn't approached (IMO) thinking of it as one. It is a compilation of myths and history of the first two ages so readers expecting a cohesive whole or an easy read are bound to be disappointed.

I'm of the kind that reads the Poetic Edda, the Kalevala and the Iliad for fun, it may tell you something...
I've read the Poetic Edda, and loved it!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I love reading collections of myths and fairytales from all over the world. For me, the Simirillion was like finding a book of myths from a lost world. I would have loved it even if I had never read Lord of the Rings. But if you aren't such a die-hard fan of myths, it's worth getting for just one story, The Tale of Beren and Lúthien.

·
Registered
413 Posts
davidhburton said:
You need to be a serious Tolkien fan to get through The Silmarillion. I read it twice. Loved it. I also picked up The Children of Húrin (and loved it), but I read LOTR like twelve times, so my perspective might be a little biased. :)
I got The Children of Hurin as an advance purchase. I've never read it all the way through, either.

I do collect Tolkien books, so I'm glad to own them. I just haven't found the right mood to read those two yet. I've read LOTR at least ten times.
;D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Patrick Skelton said:
Has anyone read The Silmarillion?

I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy...curious as to what your opinions are of The Silmarillion?
My hubby's read it all the way through 2 or 3 times. I've tried many times to read all the way to the end, but...no go. I get to a certain point...and it just bores the heck out of me. I just can't continue. The problem for me is that it's a very dry read. Unlike The Hobbit or LOTR, there's almost no movement. And, of course, when Christopher brought it all together, he had to decide which versions of the different histories would go in; as his father wrote and rewrote and re-rewrote ;). Not an easy thing to do, and I give him kudos for trying.

Maybe if I tried the audio version, I might be able to get through it, but not in book form. Doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Lord of the Rings is a novel. The Silmarillion is folklore -- mythology, if you will. It's like the difference between reading The Once and Future King and a collection of Arthurian fragments.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with Warwick: favorite of all time.  Hurin as well.  I salivate at the thought of The Master having been able to finish them, but alas!  I won't live long enough to see them in public domain, but I'm not worthy of the attempt anyway.  (That's how much I love them: I want to finish them, dang it!)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nancy Beck said:
Maybe if I tried the audio version, I might be able to get through it, but not in book form. Doesn't work for me.
When I was a kid, there was a serial reading of Lord of the Rings on public radio. It was FABULOUS! I would sit in the dark in my dad's den and listen to each episode. I think it played around ten at night in one hour episodes.

I loved that.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I've read The Silmarillion twice and War and Peace once. If I had to pick between the two for re-reading, I'd go with War and Peace. Just did not enjoy reading The Silmarillion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ty Johnston said:
I've read The Silmarillion twice and War and Peace once. If I had to pick between the two for re-reading, I'd go with War and Peace. Just did not enjoy reading The Silmarillion.
The Silmarillion was never intended to be published. It's a collection of stories, back stories, and so forth written by Tolkien as possible scenes and as a foundation for the world he was building. The wild success of the LoTR prompted his publishers, and his son, to release the book as an expansion on the books, and a sort of historical collection. It's of compelling interest to the aficionado, and is an interesting insight into the mind of one of the seminal writers of fantasy, but it's not a completed novel.

Comparing it to War and Peace, which was a finished work and a story that had gone through multiple edits and revisions, is an unjust one. The Silmirillion is not a not a cohesive narrative. It is a collection of notes, loosely arranged into a book. It's like comparing a set of blueprints to the Taj Mahal.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
I don't know if I liked The Silmarillion or not.  When I tried to read it, I couldn't remember anything between starting to read and waking up!  ???

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you are a hard core fan you will love it. If you are just a fan of the movies, I'd say it may not be up your alley. I love the book, but I've never finished it. but I've always wanted to write something as epic in scope as that

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried to read it when I was younger, but I couldn't finish it.

I've noticed that a lot of fantasy writers are overly eager to tell you about their world, to the detriment of the story. So maybe The Silmarillion helped make Lord of the Rings a better book, by giving Tolkien a way to get a lot of the background out of his system.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts