Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I might be showing ignorance here, with something I should already know. BUT....  on Amazon, according to the Book Details section, my paperbacks are listed Grade Level 4-6.  That level is NOT something I chose.  There is no place that I can find on the KDP product detail page to specify grade level.

I assume the 4-6 segment is what happens when we choose Juvenile Fiction as a category?  I'd much rather have my books aimed at the 6-8 grade level.

What am I missing here?  Is it possible to specify the higher grade level somehow?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Jena H said:
I assume the 4-6 segment is what happens when we choose Juvenile Fiction as a category? I'd much rather have my books aimed at the 6-8 grade level.
I suspect what you're missing is that grades 7 and 8 are not considered the readers of middle grade books. By that time, they're usually more interested in reading YA.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ShayneRutherford said:
I suspect what you're missing is that grades 7 and 8 are not considered the readers of middle grade books. By that time, they're usually more interested in reading YA.
No, I'm not missing that at all. When picking categories, there is either Juvenile Fiction, or Fiction. YA isn't even a subset under one of those. I don't write YA, but if I did, I'd wonder how to get into that category.

To my point, I've spent 30 minutes looking at popular MG books. I've seen some listed as: Grade level 5-9. Grade level 7-9. Ages 10-14. No idea how these books got slotted that way, or why the age/grade levels aren't consistent. But I'd sure like to know how.

(Some are trad-pub, some indie, so the publishing method may not be relevant.)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Jena H said:
Okay I might be showing ignorance here, with something I should already know. BUT.... on Amazon, according to the Book Details section, my paperbacks are listed Grade Level 4-6. That level is NOT something I chose. There is no place that I can find on the KDP product detail page to specify grade level.

I assume the 4-6 segment is what happens when we choose Juvenile Fiction as a category? I'd much rather have my books aimed at the 6-8 grade level.

What am I missing here? Is it possible to specify the higher grade level somehow?
I don't write this stuff, but I seem to remember that in KDP there are two fields that are relevant to your issue. From memory, one field is for selecting reading age and the other is for selecting grade,

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kathy Dee said:
I don't write this stuff, but I seem to remember that in KDP there are two fields that are relevant to your issue. From memory, one field is for selecting reading age and the other is for selecting grade,
No, I checked (and double-checked) KDP last night. (At least, I checked on books already published, on the Details page of KDP bookshelf, where categories are chosen.) Anyway, on that Details page, the only options available are Fiction and Juvenile Fiction. Under Juvenile Fiction there is no opportunity to drill down further to choose intended age or grade. :mad: ::)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts