Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying either a PS3 or an Xbox 360. The graphics on those two systems are outstanding. Most of the games I want are available on either system. If I buy a PS3, I will be tracking down one of the ones that is backwards compatible.

If you own either system (or both), which one would you recommend, and why?

I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Our house is a bit game crazy so we have a PS2, PS3, XBox, XBox360, 2 Nintendo DS, and a Wii.

To answer your question, we use our PS3 way more than our XBox360. Most games are available for both but there are a few that are only available for one platform or another. For example Halo is typcially XBox360 only, where the most recent Final Fanstasy releases have been Playstion only. I have found the graphics on the PS3 to seem to be a bit better than the 360. Also it seems like I have to keep purchasing things for the 360. For example, I had to get another peice of equipment to connect it to our wireless, and if I wanted to use it for HD video I would have needed to buy a component.

The PS3 connects wirelessly with nothing extra and depending on the flavor you purchase it comes with BlueRay. We have had the PS3 for over 2 years and the XBox360 for just over a year. We only bought the XBox360 because my step-son has one at home and when he visits he can play it up here as well.

That being said. I have co-workers who swear by the 360 because it has a lot more flexibility if you want to use it to do media server type things. Some co-workers have it controlling all of thier media. I know the PS3 can do some of that but not to the extent that the 360 can.

So there is my 2 cents, hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
Our house is a bit game crazy so we have a PS2, PS3, XBox, XBox360, 2 Nintendo DS, and a Wii.

To answer your question, we use our PS3 way more than our XBox360. Most games are available for both but there are a few that are only available for one platform or another. For example Halo is typcially XBox360 only, where the most recent Final Fanstasy releases have been Playstion only. I have found the graphics on the PS3 to seem to be a bit better than the 360. Also it seems like I have to keep purchasing things for the 360. For example, I had to get another peice of equipment to connect it to our wireless, and if I wanted to use it for HD video I would have needed to buy a component.

The PS3 connects wirelessly with nothing extra and depending on the flavor you purchase it comes with BlueRay. We have had the PS3 for over 2 years and the XBox360 for just over a year. We only bought the XBox360 because my step-son has one at home and when he visits he can play it up here as well.

That being said. I have co-workers who swear by the 360 because it has a lot more flexibility if you want to use it to do media server type things. Some co-workers have it controlling all of thier media. I know the PS3 can do some of that but not to the extent that the 360 can.

So there is my 2 cents, hope it helps.
It does, indeed. At this point, anything helps, since I'm not that tech savvy. LOL

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
In our home, we use the 360 a lot. It is great for gaming and media stuff...but now that Blu-ray has won over HD, the PS3 is probably better!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have both systems.  My younger son doesn't like to take his 360 to college and I bought the PS3 for the blu-ray DVD.  At that time, the PS3 was about the same price as the blu-ray DVD players and I knew my older son preferred the PS3.   He thinks it has more power and better graphics, but it really needs a high def, big screen TV with a receiver and speakers to get the most out of it.

My younger son prefers the 360.  Although most games are available on both systems, I can't imagine him not playing Halo.  He has been through a couple of 360s due to something they call the "red ring of death".  I have heard this problem was in the first generation and has been resolved, but I would check it out.   

These boys have argued pros and cons of various systems for years so it just comes down to what you really want and if there is a game only on one system that you just have to have.  Good luck!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sheltiemom said:
He has been through a couple of 360s due to something they call the "red ring of death". I have heard this problem was in the first generation and has been resolved, but I would check it out.
Unfortunately, from what I've seen, not only is the "red ring of death" (RROD) issue not fully resolved, but there is another issue that recently cropped up, rendering Xbox 360s totally useless until they are fixed or replaced.

Now, that doesn't mean all do that, and I have a hunch it may happen more for those who play for long periods of time (as the system overheats), which I wouldn't do. But it is a concern I have all the same.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a 360 and loved it. Unfortunately mine died. It did not get the Red Ring of Death (Which Microsoft will replace for free) but another hardware failure that will not be replaced. I eventually just gave up and went with the PSP and DS. Alot of friends have both a PS3 and a 360, from what I can tell the 360 has better game selection and a superior online service but the PS3 is considerably more dependable. Also the 360s online service will run you 50 dollars a year and the PS3s is free. However, from what I can tell you get what you pay for in that area. It'll probably come down to personal preference. If you enjoy action gaming with friends online I'd say 360. If you want some more Japenese like content (RPGs, etc) then go with the PS3.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I would never get a 360, simply because of the "red ring of death" issue. Microsoft has created a broken system, period, and it seems they're too incompetent to do anything about it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I prefer the PS3 but I love them both.  If you have an HDTV (I don't yet ,unfortunately) it's insane not to have a PS3 since it's HD ready out of the box and comes with Blu Ray.  The reason I prefer it to the 360 is it's media center capabilities.  I've got a ton of movies on mine. It's extremely simple to upgrade the hard drive.  I payed less than 100 bucks for a 250 GB laptop hard drive that I was easily able to install myself, compared to paying $150 for the 120 GB hard drive for 360.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'll try and get Harm to chime in here since he is the primary user of our consoles. For me, I like the PS3 because it has Blu-Ray but the 360 can stream NetFlix. Both pluses :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mom133d said:
I'll try and get Harm to chime in here since he is the primary user of our consoles. For me, I like the PS3 because it has Blu-Ray but the 360 can stream NetFlix. Both pluses :)
Just out of curiosity, how long have you had the 360, and have you had the "red ring of death" issue?

We have a netflix account, and it would be neat to stream movies to the TV, but our computer is right next to our TV, and the monitor is big enough we can watch them on that. I'm also afraid too much streaming would overheat the 360 and lead to the RROD.

It would be neat to have a Blu-Ray player, but my understanding is that the eye cannot notice a difference unless it is on a quite large HD TV, which we don't have. Granted, I would probably still buy some Blu-Rays, just because they have more behind-the-scenes features now, it seems, than DVDs do. I like behind-the-scenes features for most movies.

All the same, I'm looking for the system more for the games. 360 is cheaper, but it tends to have more malfunctions.

Also, didn't I read somewhere that the PS3 is not even currently using all of its capabilities as far as video and graphics are concerned? It seems like I saw a review somewhere that said that the PS3 could do better with the current system without even needing a new one for a while.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I currently have an Xbox 360 (that was given to me), if I had to choose I would pick PS3 because I grew up on the playstation.  I think Xbox has more games and graphics are similar on both of the systems.  The bonus with the PS3 is that you get a Blu-Ray player with it, which is kinda cool.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
mwvickers said:
Also, didn't I read somewhere that the PS3 is not even currently using all of its capabilities as far as video and graphics are concerned? It seems like I saw a review somewhere that said that the PS3 could do better with the current system without even needing a new one for a while.
This pretty much describes every system. Designers always find new ways to make games look better, do more technical tricks, get more out of the system, etc.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My son, who prefers X-box, says Microsoft has replaced his 360 twice because of the red ring of death.  They replaced for free and paid shipping.  He has had the 360 about 4 years.  One thing he likes is that the X-box controller will vibrate and he thinks that puts you in the action a lot more. 

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since mom133d already volunteered me to chime in here I will give my feedback.

We have pretty much one of everything (PS2, PS3, DSlite, 360, Wii, and even a PSP). Of the current gen systems I got the 360 first. Have had it about 3 years now. The initial reason for getting the 360 over anything else was cost and game library.

There were more games available on the 360 over the PS3 which had just been released and it was considerably cheaper at the time. A year later we got a Wii and then this pas year I got the PS3 at our company x-mas party in the raffle.

I went for 2 and half years without any problems with my 360 but then a few months ago it choked and gave me the RROD. MS was very quick and helpful in replacing it and when the fix had been done they extended the already extended warrenty to cover that same problem in the future.

I use my 360 more than my PS3 mainly due to the amount of friends I have with one system over the other and since there is still a slightly larger library of games for the older system. I mainly play PS3 exclusives on the PS3 or games that have little to no multiplayer. The Blue ray is nice but we do have a bigger HD tv so we take advantage of it.

While Microsoft hasn't fully gotten rid of all the bugs with regard to the RROD it has made the newer systems a bit more stable and have tweaked the hardware to improve things. Mine is old enough that I don't have an HDMI port on it but all the new ones do.

In regard to the PS3 and such...the system is nice. Sony gives leave and instructions on how to upgrade your hard drive with a store bought one vs Microsofts overly expensive upgrade, the interface is nicely done and the PSP ties in with the system in a few ways.

I'll go ahead and say that tracking down an older version of the PS3 that has either the hardware backwards compatibility or even the second run that had software compatibility will be a much more expensive option if you go that route. You are better off picking up a PS2 and a PS3 to cover those bases. Last time I checked the older PS3s were a good 2 to 300 dollars more than the current run.

Overall I love having both systems. I do use the 360 more although I don't tend to buy games from the downloadable store much for either system or even use the media extender options on either so I don't fully use them.

Hope some of this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Harm

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Harmakhet.

My understanding is that Microsoft recently expanded the initial warranty to a 3-year warranty for all of the 360s as soon as you buy them.  Is this correct? 

Also, what do you have to do to get the warranty?  Simply buy the system, or do you have to fill something out? 

One last question.  I hear that the 360s can stream Netflix.  Can the cheapest one (the Arcade) do that, or does it have to have a hard drive and/or some other accessory? 

Thanks again. 

I'm having a hard time because the Wii is cheapest, and has more family-friendly games, but the few games I really want for 360 I really want because of the graphics, which the Wii does not have.  I'm not sure if it is worth paying more just to get better graphics or not.  LOL  That is more of a personal decision though, I know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, hooked up and functional we have in our household: PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360 Elite, Original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Wii, Sega Saturn, and a 3DO. In storage there is a PS1, a Gamecube, and another N64. Handhelds include 2 DS Lites, 2 PSP's, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy Color, and an original Gameboy. Our video game library takes up 4 times the amount of space as our movie library. Lol! We have a bit of an addiction. Oh, BTW, we don't have kids, it's just me & my husband, but we're both children of the Nintendo generation who have refused to grow up & give up the games. This past Christmas I got 7 video games for Christmas! Lol.

I had to laugh at this topic when the RROD issue was raised. We are on our 3rd Xbox since launch, but we just got our first RROD two days ago. Our first Xbox died under mysterious circumstances. Microsoft was never able to figure out exactly why the thing died, but it wasn't RROD or the newest Xbox malfunction du jour, the E73 error. We have always purchased our Xboxes from Best Buy along with the product replacement plan & so far that strategy has worked out very well for us.

It gets a bit annoying losing an Xbox every couple of years, but the console seems to be our go-to system of choice as it gets more playtime than any of our other consoles do. I'm a big RPG player & survival horror player & the PS3's library is a bit weak in those areas. The game library in general, in my opinion, is a bit more robust for the Xbox. Also, my husband and I are super picky about how the games we buy look & play & we typically do an outrageous amount of research to find out what console has the better version of the multi-platform games. 95% of the time, the system that scores better is the Xbox. Obviously, we can't do this with all games as some are system exclusives. But we're super picky and most people aren't going to notice or care about minor issues like framerates, shading, and minor quirks and playback issues. Also, if you or anyone playing the system is going to be doing any online gaming, Microsoft's Xbox Live service is way more robust than the Playstation Network. Live is a subscription service that costs $50/year. The PSN is free, but, you get what you pay for!

Also, Microsoft has recently extended the system's warranty to 3 years, so there's even less to worry about now. Plus the chipsets in the systems that are being manufactured now are much better as they operate at a lower temperature & consume less power so they don't overheat like the older ones. The power supply has been redesigned to a degree as well. You also have the option to install all of your games to the system's hard drive so you can even further reduce heat & drive wear issues. Reliability is much better than in the older consoles.

Our old Xbox 360 Elite had the Zephyr chipset. Our new one that we just got 2 days ago has the new & much more reliable Jasper chipset, which was released September of 2008. If you do elect to buy an Xbox you will want to try to locate a model that has the Jasper chipset. Some older systems may still be on the shelves that have the older chipsets installed. Here's how to locate a Jasper system:

There's one blatantly-obvious method, and that's to open the box and check the manufacturing date on the back of the console itself, it's shown in YYYY-MM-DD format. It's believed that consoles manufactured on or after August 31st (2008-08-31) will feature the Jasper revision - though, this hasn't yet been confirmed. The later the console was manufactured after this date, the better the chance is that you may get a Jasper.

If that process seems like too much hard work or the store won't let you do it, there could be another way, too. Flip the box over, and you should find a flap with a serial number located beneath it. The serial number will be in the format LNNNNNNYWWFF, where the Y is thought to represent the year of manufacture, and the WW is thought to represent the week - if the theory is to be believed. August 31st translates to week 35, so you'd be looking for a serial number somewhere along the lines of LNNNNNN'835'FF. This is by no means a foolproof option but it could be worthy of consideration when making a purchase.

For the most part, our Wii just sits there & collects dust. I think we have 4 or 5 games for it. For serious gamers, there's just not as much content of merit available for the system. A lot of what's available for the Wii seems to be low quality shovelware. That said, it's great for families, especially those with small kids. If you have teens, especially older teens, it might not see as much use. I personally find the controls gimmicky & I get tired of not being able to sit down & relax to play a game. It's not always fun to have to stand to play & romp around making big movements. I like to crash out on the couch & play.

Our PS3 was purchased when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out because it was rumored that 80 Gig system sold in the MGS4 bundle was going to be the last backwards compatible PS3 that Sony intended to make. Turned out the rumor was right, so we're glad we bought when we did. None of the PS3's currently being sold are backwards compatible at all unless you either buy a used backwards compatible model, or pay a premium to an Amazon or eBay seller who has hung onto a new-in-box model. So if you're looking for a backwards compatible model, you may have to shell out big bucks or take your chances on a second hand system. Check Wikipedia's PS3 page to find out which models are backwards compatible. I know the 60 gig launch systems are, as well as the ones in the 80-Gig MGS4 bundle. You MIGHT be able to get lucky & find a MGS4 bundle in the stores, but the last time I know of a person who found one in a retail store was back in September of last year. So, that's probably not very likely.

The 60 gig launch system is equipped with a PS2 chip & is 100% backwards compatible, the other systems w/backwards compatibility achieve that functionality through emulation software so there are some games that might not play on those PS3's. *Edit to add* There are also reports that the older 60 gig launch systems are starting to experience a large rate of failures due to heat. Heat exposure is one of the biggest hard drive killers & the PS3 does tend to run hot. Plus, it's very loud, way louder even than our older Xbox 360's. It sounds like a freight train to me. Our new Elite is very quiet.

Our PS3 was not purchased solely as a gaming system, it was purchased just as much for its BluRay capabilities as it was for its gaming functions. If you haven't yet purchased a BluRay player, the PS3 is one of the best BluRay players on the market and one of the only ones available that can be hooked up to the Internet and essentially take care of its own sofware updates. It's a very low maintenance BluRay player.

There are pros and cons to all 3 of the systems, and I won't try to push you in the direction of one or the other. However, if I were forced to choose which system I would not go without, I would without hesitation choose the Xbox 360 even in light of its issues. This is a huge post, I just realized. But I wanted to bring a few things to your attention that might be of help.

And, with that, I think I have completely exposed myself as the huge nerd that I am. I bid you adieu. Lol!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
purdueav8r,

Thanks for all of the input.  Clearly, you are one of the people (like hamarkhet and a friend of mine) that I would turn to for game information.  LOL

I was reading more about the 360, and I'm not sure all the issues have been resolved.  Interestingly, the Wii sounds like the most reliable system so far, though hardcore gamers don't care for the selection of games. 

My wife and I, however, like most of the Wii games.  We like things like Mario, Zelda, etc.  I would also love the ability to get older games on the Virtual Console (like Mario RPG, which I regret getting rid of). 

The downside is that there are three games that I really want on the better systems (360/PS3): Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, The Lord of the Rings: Conquest, and Ghostbusters.  The first and last are available on the Wii (or will be), but the graphics aren't as good.  The LOTR one, however, is only available on PS3 and 360. 

The problem is, not many of the other games on those systems are games I really want.  I'm not sure I can justify paying that much for three games.  LOL

I may end up just sticking with my Game Cube and original Xbox.  If nothing else, I may just get a Wii, as I know that it is most reliable, it sounds.  Who knows?  LOL

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
We  have no game systems in our house.  We had one when my son was younger. . . .nothing anyone ever heard of. . . .bro got it from Radio Shack at a "store closing" sale.  We did a lot of the text based roll playing games on the computer when we lived in England. . . didn't have a UK standard TV so that's what we did for fun . . . when we weren't reading or touring or something . . . . .there was a wonderful little bookstore in the village where we lived; I was down there at least once a week. . . . .I have played guitar hero:  our cousins brought it to the family reunion last summer and it was a big hit. . . .even my 85 year old father in law took a turn.

Ann

1 - 20 of 23 Posts