Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background....When I was 14 or 15 I wore a pair of 3 inch wedge shoes to the mall. As I was walking from the cement sidewalk into JC Penney and the slippery floor, I slipped and fell. Ever since then I have been afraid of wearing high heels. I didn't get hurt but I was sooooo mortified I never wanted to feel like that again. I alos never really learned how to walk in them. But, I LOVE heels...if I could wear them I would have tons of them. My question is, does anyone sell 2 inch heels that are nice? Most shoes I have seen with a shorter heel are just plain old pumps or "old lady" shoes. If not, what are some tips you all have for walking in heels? I will probably never wear stillettos, but I would love to be able to wear heels.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I like 2 inch heels and you are right, most of them are plain old lady pumps.  However VanElle (VanElli?) Liz Claiborne, Costa Blanca (o?) make some fun 2 inch heels.  My favorite is the Van Elle & Liz Claiborne.  Bandolino is another good name that makes cute shoes.  Good Luck.  You'll find some cool shoes, I am sure!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I wore high heels back in the 70's, lower ones in the 80's and early 90's and then I said I will never wear them again.  They will really screw up your back!  Besides, I'm so clumsy I would break my ankle, I'm sure.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I don't wear heels much anymore but when I used to I liked them as high as I could find them. I don't have any tips on looking for nice two inch heels, except to check Payless. Big help I know.  ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Most of my heels are three-inchers, pumps, or platforms. My shoes with platforms tend to be the easiest to walk in, but they also hurt like crazy after a while. I'm not much really a fan of 2-inch heels. The only ones I like are the ones with the pointed toe, and those tend to be for more conservative events.

However, I love cute flats with the tiny heel. I think that might be a good option. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a pinched nerve in my foot (not related to high-heel-wearing) and only recently have I ventured back into wearing heels.  I find wedge-style heels the easiest to wear.  I don't wear anything with a tiny heel (tiny meaning the space you stand on, not the height); I prefer to have a nice, steady, big heel.  They seem to be the easiest to walk in.

I don't normally wear shoes that are taller than 2", but if they have a little platform, that gives me a bit of bonus height (I'm only 5'3") yet still gives me stability.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have lots of heels, and only one crazy pair that's more than about 2 1/2 inches. (That one's 4" and they're awesome for about 10 minutes, until my feet protest with screams and yells.)

Two or three-inchers aren't too hard to find, and I don't think most of mine are granny-style.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I used to wear heels all the time. Now I'm . . . um . . . mature, and my feet and back complain too much for me to jack myself up like that. Which stinks, because I looooove high heels. They're so pretty and flirty and sexy. They're like false eyelashes for your feet. *sigh*

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't know how to walk in flats!!!!! I learned when I was doing beauty pageants and also as a dancer. It drives my DH nuts though because while he likes the high heels, it makes me tower over him as we are the same height.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Add me to the "can't walk in heels" group. I've tried stilettos, platforms, low heels, chunky heels, etc... I just don't have the grace to walk comfortably in them.  To all the women who can, more power to you. I'll take my old Grannie pumps any day over heels.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Couple of tips:

1) Do NOT walk like Julia Roberts in heels.  Seriously, she's a "don't".  She walks like a plow jockey when she's wearing heels and it makes me wince every time I see it.  Basically, she does everything I'm going to tell you not to do (or vice versa).
2) Take small steps.  This is probably THE most important thing to a) keep your balance and b) remain graceful.  It's okay to take quick steps, but if you start taking long strides, it gets harder.
3) One foot DIRECTLY in front of the other.  Do not place your feet side by side as you walk.  Pretend you're trying to walk on a painted line without stepping off of said line :)
4) Practice.

It's not hard to walk in heels, 'specially if you follow rules a & b.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the tips, comments and replies!
I had a really lousy day, wanted to tell my employer to take his job and stuff it but I can't much as I would like too. So instead I am going to splurge on a pair of heels and practise around the house...if I break an ankle I will get extra time off from work!!! LOL.
There is a store next to where I work that has some really great shoes so I will be shopping on payday!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
JenniHolbrook-Talty said:
I don't know how to walk in flats!!!!! I learned when I was doing beauty pageants and also as a dancer.
Me, too!

Started dancing in heels at the tender age of 9, and it's to the point where I have actually shortened my achilles tendon, so flats hurt like heck!

So I'm the wrong person to ask about 2-inch heels, since all mine are 3-inches or higher. Some with platform in addition to the 3 inches (making them more like 4 inches).

The higher the heel, the closer to God... ;)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
They have some pretty, lowish heels at DSW (I like to call it Da Shoe Warehouse, but I have no idea what those letters really stand for). Famous Footwear also stocks lower heels with nice looks. I can't wear super high heels anymore due to foot problems, and those are my two faves to find cute shoes. Hopefully you have one or the other nearby! :)

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Wore HIGH HIGH heels in college, and later in my "real jobs" running round up/down stairs, etc. Loved 'em. Then quit and worked at home and only wore heels to "events" and lost the knack--or the nerve. Back problems don't help so I rarely wear high heels anymore but platforms are okay.

Now I commute up the stairs and go barefoot most days. *shrug* But still love the look.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I used to wear heels but eventually they hurt my back so badly. I hardly wear them now since I had knee surgery five years ago and it hurts my knee to be at that angle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts