Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that Amazon is around 50% of market share for writers. This seems to tally up with some research I have been able to do, but what sort of percentage are your self and pro published paperbacks/ebooks? I'm asking because I signed a contract for three novels last year and they will be coming out in the autumn this year (well, the first one will) and I'm wondering what sort of sales I can expect relative to my self-published titles (no figures necessary, just %).

Hope you can help, thanks R :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have read that Amazon is around 50% of market share for writers. This seems to tally up with some research I have been able to do, but what sort of percentage are your self and pro published paperbacks/ebooks? I'm asking because I signed a contract for three novels last year and they will be coming out in the autumn this year (well, the first one will) and I'm wondering what sort of sales I can expect relative to my self-published titles (no figures necessary, just %).

Hope you can help, thanks R :)
I'd need more details to give you any useful information, starting with who is your publisher and how much was your advance? I can tell you that you'll still have to self-promote as much if not more than you did with your indie books. The upshot is that traditional publishing opens doors that were closed before.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Try this blog post The Numbers Game
Many advances have come down since then so 'earn out' is easier but the royalty figures % are the number to watch ~20% vs ~70% can add up if you have a popular product -- plus you continue to own the product and have control.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
372 Posts
It will vary by genre a lot, plus as mentioned, the publisher is a factor. Some will have better distribution channels and outreach than others (esp for paperback). If they work with educators and libraries that makes a difference. Do they even have a sales force that pitches the books to bookstores? So many variables.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
"The Numbers Game" is a ridiculous post. It's also 10 years old. Please don't base anything on that.

I have some books with audio publishers & foreign publishers. None with US trad. I can tell you, as an indie, paperback sales are a small percentage of my income. POD is just too expensive.

I do sell more paperbacks in France (in French). Probably 2-3x the paperbacks I sell in the US, but I've also been on a French release blitz (a new translated book every two months). I hit four figures in paperback revenue a few times since I translated in French, so that's exciting. (The French paperbacks are even more expensive, since they're longer).

·
Registered
457 Posts
One thing which is clear nowadays...whether you have a publisher or not...you have to market your book and can't escape that fact. I have not heard too many tales of the great marketing that their publisher had done without the author not being significantly involved. Unless you have a six-figure deal, you really can't stop marketing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts