Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I ordered my kindle on Dec. 7th and still don't have it.  I have noticed that the kindle batteries are on back order and the charger as well.  I have read on the board about people who needed to replace their battery and it is on back order.  Should I order a replacement battery now so that I will get one when it comes in just so that I will have a replacement if I need it?

Delores

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your point about not charging the battery often making it last longer does apply to most batteries, but from what I've read here, doesn't apply to the kindle.  People here say charge it often for better results.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had my kindle since May. 
Use it a lot; whispernet only when needed.
My charge lasts over a week, haven't even thought about getting a backup battery.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
When I ordered my Kindle in early November. I also order a replacement battery at the same time. It is still backordered and I figure by the time I get it in another year or 2, it will probably be just in time for my needs.

Steve

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I have never thought about needing a backup battery. Has there been a lot of people needing to replace their battery? So far, my battery seems to be lasting a week or more. Also, I know that in the past it was always advised to let a battery run all the way down before charging the first 2 or 3 times. Batteries don't seem to need that now. Also, if you have a backup battery and never use it will that harm it or should you trade them every once in a while?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I read that the battery has a shelf life of a certain length of time. If you buy an extra battery now, it might not be usable when it comes time to replace the one in Kindle.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
durphy said:
I read that the battery has a shelf life of a certain length of time. If you buy an extra battery now, it might not be usable when it comes time to replace the one in Kindle.
That was my thought as well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've heard that they recommend you keep the battery charged up, instead of letting it go down much; that it will extend the life of the battery.  Usually, I only let mine go down a quarter before recharging.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am planning on picking up an extra battery pack or two for my Kindle. We are planning a honeymoon in New Zealand. I have this awful habit of blowing up devices with the stupid converter. I figure if I have three fully charged batteries before leaving the US, I won't have to worry about recharging and my Kindle will be safe.

Call me paranoid.

G

·
Chimmer said:
I just picked up a Kindle battery (3rd party) off of ebay for $11.00 plus shipping.
That sounds almost too good to be true. keep us posted. Mine has been back ordered on Amazon so long they want to cancel it.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ProfCrash said:
I am planning on picking up an extra battery pack or two for my Kindle. We are planning a honeymoon in New Zealand. I have this awful habit of blowing up devices with the stupid converter. I figure if I have three fully charged batteries before leaving the US, I won't have to worry about recharging and my Kindle will be safe.

Call me paranoid.
You might want to look into the battery operated battery charger. I recently got one after we had a blackout. With hurricane/tropical storm season coming up, I wanted to be sure to have a power source for Little Gertie.

It's $19.95, but worth it for my peace of mind. There are also solar chargers available, but Amazon has yet to endorse one, so I'll wait on that.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
durphy said:
That's why my timing is perfect. It will take 2 years to get the forever backordered battery, so I won't have to worry about shelf life. Heck, it may be backordered for 10 or 20 years the way they are going. I think the batteries must be being built by a single person in Samoa, working with no tools. He can produce 1 battery a year, if he is lucky.

Steve

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
stevene9 said:
That's why my timing is perfect. It will take 2 years to get the forever backordered battery, so I won't have to worry about shelf life. Heck, it may be backordered for 10 or 20 years the way they are going. I think the batteries must be being built by a single person in Samoa, working with no tools. He can produce 1 battery a year, if he is lucky.

Steve
Now you're making me nervous. Suppose the guy goes for a long swim one day and hasn't passed on the secret.

Suddenly, without using WN, my battery is showing down by 1/4 every two days. I'd better order that backup battery now.

G

·
Didnt they say the charger will work anywhere as long as you have a plug adapter?

Whips out Leslie's  

about LOC 424-425

·
Registered
48 Posts
gertiekindle said:
You might want to look into the battery operated battery charger. I recently got one after we had a blackout. With hurricane/tropical storm season coming up, I wanted to be sure to have a power source for Little Gertie.

It's $19.95, but worth it for my peace of mind. There are also solar chargers available, but Amazon has yet to endorse one, so I'll wait on that.
Thanks for the link Gertie, I could have used this the other day when we lost power after a thunderstorm, and this will definitely come in handy during Hurricane Season.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Now you're making me nervous. Suppose the guy goes for a long swim one day and hasn't passed on the secret.

Suddenly, without using WN, my battery is showing down by 1/4 every two days. I'd better order that backup battery now.
If you order it now, you should have it, at the very latest, by 2018. So no problem.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Vampyre said:
Didnt they say the charger will work anywhere as long as you have a plug adapter?

Whips out Leslie's

about LOC 424-425
Yes. I used my charger in Switzerland, Belgium, and Germany without any problem. All I needed was the plug adapater.

I also have the Palm/Zire eforcity cable which I have been using for months and it works fine, but please note: it is not endorsed by Amazon or tested to work with the Kindle. Just so you know.

L

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I had the proper converters in Egypt. The problem was the rooms all had two outlets with different voltages. I screwed up and put the charger for my rechargable batteries in the wrong voltage and it went boomie. I'll have to look and see if New Zealand uses one or two voltages...

I would have no problem using a solar charger to recharge the battery. My fiancee used it on his Ipod when backpacking with no problems.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
When I got my kindle waaay back last year I ordered an extra battery, just in case.  It charged just fine, but we left the kindle on overnight, in sleep mode, and the battery went bye bye.  Since then I now have a battery rechargeable thingy to recharge with batteries and 2 extra batteries.  Guess that is why Amazon ran out LOL  With our electricity here being iffy I certainly did not want problems, and we were planning on going to Brazil to live and it would have been difficult to get replacements there so I wanted to be prepared for at least 2 years.  I charge mine now whenever I see the first white section and it is still the same one I used second last June.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts