Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I published my first book last week, a smutty scifi novel, and so far so good. I've been running Amazon ads using a 'Standard' ad unit (aka, the book's cover).

I didn't have any problems submitting my first round of ads, they went through without issue, even though I have a suggestive cover (which to me and my test readers was tame compared to some of the other books in my genre). Last night, after midnight, I decided to copy my existing campaigns and set up some special budgets/tareting just for Prime Day. One ad went through without issue, but the other (identical expect for the budget and targeting) got rejected due to the cover being too sexual. I figured it got flagged by accident, so I resubmitted it, but that got rejected too.

My current ads are running fine, but I'm afraid of submitting another and getting flagged across the platform for inappropriate content. Has anyone had this problem with Amazon Advertisting before? Could the problem be that I submitted the ads late at night, when there were no human auditors to flag them as okay? Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
297 Posts
A small press that I am with published an anthology that had a SKETCH of an angel on the cover. The angel was wearing loose, flowing clothes! Strangely, Amazon classed him as undressed and placed the volume in the erotica section. Except for the restriction on advertising, the whole thing was hilarious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RGXYMFR/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i10

Our editor found that it actually depended on the particular staff member who reviewed the advert.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Our editor found that it actually depended on the particular staff member who reviewed the advert."

Crazy -- thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if getting multiple ads rejected will trigger some kind of account/platform-wide audit?  My major worry is that if I submit another ad, it gets rejected, and then they'll kick me off the platform or something.

·
Registered
12,226 Posts
Yes, ad rejections are pretty common. I don't know whether continuing to try and push the ads through will endanger your ad account, but I'd lean toward not risking it. Safer options would be slight cover changes or, if you feel like a cover change would hurt sales, accept that you won't be able to advertise this particular book with Amazon ads, though you may be able to use other ad platforms instead. It's something to keep in mind when planning your future covers, if Amazon ads are a big part of your marketing strategy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts