Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just have a quick question regarding the Kindle and how it handles downloads.

Here's the thing. I own a business and for promotional purposes I wanted to hold a contest where one of the prizes was a new kindle preloaded with some great books. Now, my question is how do you actually go about getting the books onto your Kindle? I assume that you'd somehow enter your Amazon account information on the Kindle so if you're connected to the internet it can download the book. But my concern is about giving the Kindle to someone else. Is there a way to remove my account information from the Kindle before handing it over? If so, does the book I purchased stay on the device and still readable, or is it directly tied to my account so that the only way they can read it is if they have my account information? Or are the downloads tied to the device itself and not the Amazon account?

Basically, I want to buy a kindle, buy 10 books, and download them onto the device so that the winner gets an awesome Kindle with 10 books to read. But at the same time, I want it to be THEIR Kindle once I give it to them and make sure there isn't something weird that makes the books only readable if that device is tied to my Amazon account or something, nor do I want to leave my account info tied to the device in any way, etc.

Sorry, I'm just not exactly sure how this process works and want to clear up any possible issues before I drop the money on the device and books. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The Kindle e-books books will never be "theirs," not permanently... They won't disappear from the Kindle until the new owner deletes them, but then they will be gone forever.

The books will remain on your account, and can be downloaded to devices that you attach to your account.

Might I suggest a compromise? How about the Kindle and a $50 Amazon gift certificate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense, thanks for the prompt reply.

The Kindle + gift card was my fallback plan. I just thought it would be really cool to give someone a kindle with a handful of books preloaded, where the books are relevant to our niche. But I guess if it's too much hassle because the books are more or less tied to my account and couldn't technically be transferred to the new owner, that's the route to go.

As a side note, maybe Amazon should add a feature to their Kindle ordering page where you could select books to preload on your device when purchasing as a gift. Wishful thinking, I know :)

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Verena (pidgeon92) is absolutely right, if you buy the books from Amazon ownership cannot be transferred. You could, however, buy a Kindle, have it shipped to you and load it with books formatted for the Kindle that don't have DRM protection and then send the preloaded Kindle to your contest winner. The other option would be to put unprotected Kindle books on a thumb drive. There are several online vendors that sell Kindle editions without DRM protection such as SmashWords.com, but the choices are quite limited. Of course if you own the source of the books that you want to pre-load they can easily be converted to a Kindle format.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would go with the gift certifcate... 

What if the person who wins the kindle is not a fan of the same books that you would pick.. While a nice jester could be a waste if the topics where not to their interests.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Jeremy said:
That makes sense, thanks for the prompt reply.

The Kindle + gift card was my fallback plan. I just thought it would be really cool to give someone a kindle with a handful of books preloaded, where the books are relevant to our niche. But I guess if it's too much hassle because the books are more or less tied to my account and couldn't technically be transferred to the new owner, that's the route to go.

As a side note, maybe Amazon should add a feature to their Kindle ordering page where you could select books to preload on your device when purchasing as a gift. Wishful thinking, I know :)
Unless you were thinking of business-specific books, you could load some of the public domain books that are free downloads from feedbooks.com, mobileread.com/forums, or one of the other non-DRM sites. A few of the classics, maybe. That way there's some good reading already on the Kindle, and if the recipient isn't crazy about those books they're easily deleted. You could also include an Amazon gift certificate for purchase of more recent books of the recipient's choice.

(Great gift, by the way - if you do this, I hope the winner appreciates it!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.