Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been editing my WIP and while I've been doing that ideas for a few (four so far) short stories in the same world have occurred to me. Time wise they happen before the WIP starts. I've been writing them down as a break between bouts of editing. There's no way to weave them together to make a coherent longer story--at least not that I've figured out yet--and they don't work as part of the novel. I know sometimes people release prequel novellas as a way to get interest in their main stories, but do you think that would work with a small short story collection?

I really would like to try it. My one concern would be that some details that I hold off a bit before relating in the longer work might get spoiled by their appearance in the shorter stories. I don't divulge anything earth-shattering in the short stories, more like relationships between some characters that don't make it into the novel for a few chapters becomes more obvious. Does that make sense?

Any and all thoughts regarding this are welcome. :)

G

·
I think it does work. Fire Season had a small collection of short stories as a promotional (POD) release which certainly built interest in the paperback. With ebooks, the cost of doing a linked anthology is a lot lower than printed books, so it can provide a nice companion volume for people who want to know more about the characters.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would say go for it. It's no different from someone reading book 3 of a trilogy first without realizing there was a book 1 and 2.  I've had people send me emails saying, I read The Last Arrow and didn't know there were two books before it!  But did it spoil it for them? Nah.  They just went and read the first two knowing who was going to die in book 3. 

Hmm. Well, okay, maybe it ruined it for them a little LOL.  But no one has complained.  Much. *S*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts