Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first: I love the Kindle boards!  The information.  The acumen.  The sense of discovery.  It all adds up to a great sense of succor and satisfaction.

Honest.

Yes, I could have finished 12 books in the time I have spent here over the last two weeks--but that's for a whole other post.  Here's the question: just got my new--and utterly awesome--Forest Green Oberon cover.  And make no mistake: these are work of art.  Period. End  of discussion.  I liked the New Amazon Hinge cover--but please, THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO.  These really are special.  That said, here is the main question to people that already have one: do you take out the black stiffeners in the pockets?  Or are they meant to stay in there?  I'm awaiting the very salient and cogent responses that I will get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
woodyas said:
That said, here is the main question to people that already have one: do you take out the black stiffeners in the pockets? Or are they meant to stay in there?
They are meant to stay in there to give the cover a little additional stiffness so you can stand it up if you want. But you can take them out if you prefer. :) I have Avenue of Trees in Fern and love it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

You are supposed to leave the black plastic support in the pocket. It is to help the leather stay stiffened and hold up to use.

I was one of a dozen Oberon Beta Tester for the Kindle 1 cover and I hope we have helped Oberon to design a quality cover. I have the forest green World Tree. The quality is awesome.

Nice to meet you,

-sailor

·
Registered
288 Posts
I prefer mine in... and the other day when it was hot outside while I was reading on the deck I took one out and used it as a fan.    ;)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Some have taken the plastic out of the back of the cover and put it in with the other in front as an extra margin of safety for the screen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
intinst (or 1204 if you prefer) said:
Some have taken the plastic out of the back of the cover and put it in with the other in front as an extra margin of safety for the screen.
That's what I do. I don't know if it helps that much, but every little bit (I'm paranoid about the screen), and the Kindle itself keeps the back cover supported.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I've left mine in, but some people don't like the way it feels when they use the pocket to help hold the Kindle while reading.  Truly, the leather is plenty thick enough to be protection on its own.

In my case, I had them leave off the wool padding due to an allergy, so I used one of the plastic pieces as a template to cut a layer of foam, then put both the plastic & the new foam layer back into the front pocket.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i replaced the plastic sheets for two 1/16 inch thick plexi-glass panels to provide maximum protection in particular for the screen.  truth be told, i'm pretty sure i broke my kindle 1 screen by accidentally pressing too hard on it when it was in a neoprene case so i want to keep my K2 safe as can be.  the plexi-glass adds quite a bit more firmness and reduces the chance of the screen being pressed on as well as adds protection in general.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome woodyas and kindle zen -- glad to have you here. Congrats on your first posts.

To answer your question: I have left the plastic sheets in the covers where they came, front and back. I never even think about them.

L

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
kindle zen said:
i replaced the plastic sheets for two 1/16 inch thick plexi-glass panels to provide maximum protection in particular for the screen. truth be told, i'm pretty sure i broke my kindle 1 screen by accidentally pressing too hard on it when it was in a neoprene case so i want to keep my K2 safe as can be. the plexi-glass adds quite a bit more firmness and reduces the chance of the screen being pressed on as well as adds protection in general.
Good idea. Do the plexiglass panels add much weight?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
woodyas said:
First things first: I love the Kindle boards! The information. The acumen. The sense of discovery. It all adds up to a great sense of succor and satisfaction.

Honest.

Yes, I could have finished 12 books in the time I have spent here over the last two weeks--but that's for a whole other post. Here's the question: just got my new--and utterly awesome--Forest Green Oberon cover. And make no mistake: these are work of art. Period. End of discussion. I liked the New Amazon Hinge cover--but please, THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO. These really are special. That said, here is the main question to people that already have one: do you take out the black stiffeners in the pockets? Or are they meant to stay in there? I'm awaiting the very salient and cogent responses that I will get.

Thanks!
I left mine in - just a little more protection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow--the responses were succinct, well thought out, and highly illuminating.  But again, I expected nothing less.  So yes: I will leave them in. 

Now the hard part: not getting swept away in the obsession of wanting to have ANOTHER cover--in a different style.  Gotta love it: the economy in an egregious free-fall--and I'm sitting here fomenting ways in which to buy an ROH in saddle. 

Ahh yes--the sagacity of common sense is starting to leave me. 

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
woodyas said:
First things first: I love the Kindle boards! The information. The acumen. The sense of discovery. It all adds up to a great sense of succor and satisfaction.

Honest.

Yes, I could have finished 12 books in the time I have spent here over the last two weeks--but that's for a whole other post. Here's the question: just got my new--and utterly awesome--Forest Green Oberon cover. And make no mistake: these are work of art. Period. End of discussion. I liked the New Amazon Hinge cover--but please, THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO. These really are special. That said, here is the main question to people that already have one: do you take out the black stiffeners in the pockets? Or are they meant to stay in there? I'm awaiting the very salient and cogent responses that I will get.

Thanks!
Woodyas, Please post pictures of your Forest Green Oberon! I want to see more of the green color 'in person'. I'm considereing buying the Creekbed Maple in Green. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
VictoriaP said:
I've left mine in, but some people don't like the way it feels when they use the pocket to help hold the Kindle while reading. Truly, the leather is plenty thick enough to be protection on its own.

In my case, I had them leave off the wool padding due to an allergy, so I used one of the plastic pieces as a template to cut a layer of foam, then put both the plastic & the new foam layer back into the front pocket.
Victoria, did Oberon just leave that space where the wool normally goes "naked" leather? Just curious b/c sometimes the wool bothers me too, and am considering ordering an Oberon for my K2 (have 2 for K1 w/wool).

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Woodyas,

welcome to Kindleboards, and congrats on having your first two posts in the Accessories forum!  That's a great way to start, you'll fit right in.  Now, head on over to Introductions and tell us a little bit more about yourself, then check out the Book Corner to see all the free, bargain and recommended books we have there AND Book Klubs!

Betsy

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
woodyas said:
Wow--the responses were succinct, well thought out, and highly illuminating. But again, I expected nothing less. So yes: I will leave them in.

Now the hard part: not getting swept away in the obsession of wanting to have ANOTHER cover--in a different style. Gotta love it: the economy in an egregious free-fall--and I'm sitting here fomenting ways in which to buy an ROH in saddle.

Welcome! Hang around a bit longer and common sense will be a thing of the past :) You'll start seeing the need for a different cover for each day of the week.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Ruby296 said:
Victoria, did Oberon just leave that space where the wool normally goes "naked" leather? Just curious b/c sometimes the wool bothers me too, and am considering ordering an Oberon for my K2 (have 2 for K1 w/wool).
Yes, it's just the plain black leather in that area. You should be able to see it in this picture:

I did call them to request they leave the wool out, and follow up with an email to be on the safe side. I also, as I said, added a layer of thin craft foam between the inner leather cover & the plastic stiffener for additional padding. (layers of a cushy fabric would work too) Again, it probably isn't needed, but a little extra protection can't hurt.

woodyas said:
Now the hard part: not getting swept away in the obsession of wanting to have ANOTHER cover--in a different style. Gotta love it: the economy in an egregious free-fall--and I'm sitting here fomenting ways in which to buy an ROH in saddle.

LOL--well, the Dow had its best day in four months yesterday, and housing sales for February were much higher than expected. And half the economy's problem is that people stop spending (rationally & logically, but still.....) Enough justification, or do you need more? ;)

But yes, if you hang out with the Accessories crowd long enough (like, say, longer than 10 minutes!), all common sense will go out the window. Never expect us to tell you "No, that's not a good idea" when it comes to spending money on your Kindle!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
[
woodyas said:
Wow--the responses were succinct, well thought out, and highly illuminating. But again, I expected nothing less. So yes: I will leave them in.

Following up on the previous post, You only want one more Oberon?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, Dear Lord. I have been SUCKED into the madness. I just ordered my Oberon. The Pond to be exact. I don't even have my Kindle yet. It is due for delivery tomorrow. You guys are Baaaadddddd!  ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts