Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an ebook on Fictionwise that I would like to purchase.  The only formats available to choose are: 

secure eReader
secure mobipocket
secure Microsoft Reader

Will any of these work on the kindle?  Or does this mean that this ebook is unavailable in a format readable for kindle at this time? 

thanks!
Jenn

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
Mobipocket works on Kindle. . . .but not if it's secure.  :(  Have you looked to see if the book is available on Amazon?

Ann

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ann, that is what I was afraid of.  What the heck does secure mobipocket mean anyway?  What is it secure from? 

Why the heck can't everyone just play nice and sell me the bleeping book?

·
Registered
478 Posts
'secure' as in 'does not allow casual piracy'. Welcome to the world of 'digital rights management' or DRM. In this case, it effectively ties the content to specific devices which the purchaser authorizes. Unfortunately, each device has its own DRM scheme and even if the underlying format is portable, the DRM scheme is often not. In this case even though Amazon owns Mobipocket format, and 'non-secure' mobipocket can be read on Kindle, it chose to make Kindle incompatible with secure mobipocket. And while secure mobipocket can be read on a variety of devices, Kindle, and iPhone/iPodTouch are not among them. In defense of Amazon (and other purveyors of DRM-laden content), many book publishers insist that DRM be used as a precondition for making their stuff available in the various marketplaces; it is not Amazon's requirement. Publishers don't have to DRM their offerings, and given the inconvenience and confusion it creates for users, there's an argument that they would sell more ebooks if they didn't DRM them, and people who would make illegal copies are going to do that regardless. Music publishing has seen the demise of DRM for the most part for downloaded music; perhaps we can look forward to the same trend in ebook publishing.

Ditto on the 'have you checked on Amazon' suggestion. I'd be really surprised if it is not available there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
JennSpot said:
There is an ebook on Fictionwise that I would like to purchase. The only formats available to choose are:

secure eReader
secure mobipocket
secure Microsoft Reader

Will any of these work on the kindle? Or does this mean that this ebook is unavailable in a format readable for kindle at this time?

thanks!
Jenn
Nope, none of the secure formats there work on the Kindle.

When you buy from Fictionwise you want the Multiformat ones only. I find it better to limit my searches there to just the Multiformat so I don't frustrate myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone!

Sadly, I got the link to fictionwise from the original small publishing house's website and the book is not yet available on Amazon.  Not sure why the kindle formatting isn't available on fictionwise for that title, when other books from their house are?  I will shoot them an email.

Jenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts