Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few days ago i loaded a 20-pg html article onto my kindle. this was challenging, as the entire html document was a giant table. but it's professional reading, and i needed to annotate. (the html tables actually *work* more or less on kindle, so the kindle's cursor ends up being this giant thing next to the entire paragraph -- which is a cell/row in the table.)

i couldn't find a single program that would strip out the table-code. even ms word will allow only 'delete entire table (including contents)' or 'clear contents from table', so i kludged my way through doing it manually. (since then i've thought of a better way of dealing with this manually. but if anyone knows of a program that will remove that table stuff, i'm open, because evidently that's how the online journal publisher formats everything.)

sorry. getting off track. ok, so here's my issue. while manually re-formatting the html, i killed about four words at the beginning of a paragraph halfway into the article. i've repaired the document, but not re-formatted and reloaded, because i'm afraid it will overwrite my annotations.

anyone out there have any ideas how i might successfully address this? it's not an emergency -- i've read the four words. i just don't know what-all else bad stuff i might have done to this thing, and it would be good to know what happens. (if no one knows, i might just test it with something small -- this summer when my class is over.)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hmmm, that's a good question.  If you give it the same name (filename) as the first one, it should overwrite the original on the Kindle.  On the other hand, the .mbp file (which holds your annotations and bookmarks and things) would still be there, but on the third hand, the locations and such probably wouldn't match up any more.  I don't know what would happen in this case.  Would the Kindle detect the mismatch and delete the old .mbp file?  Or worse, get confused and lock up?  I just don't know.  Be sure to back up your originals if you try it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
In Word, you can highlight the table, and in the Table menu, select Convert Table to Text.  It gives you an option of what character to separate the columns with: default is tab, I believe.  You can then edit the text however you want.  I've done it a million times.  You could convert the table into bulleted items, perhaps: one row per bulleted list, maybe?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts