Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my first book went online two days ago, and I immediately noticed that the sample opened up to the title page, and the "Go to Table of Contents" option was grayed out.

I thought I might not have told Mobipocket Creator about the bookmarks, so I re-did the e-book through Mobipocket creator, making sure I did everything right, and updated the book through KDP.

The book has updated, but the sample still starts out at the title page and the Table of Contents option is still grayed out. I have bought the book, but I'm assuming the problem is with it as well.

So does anyone know how to fix it?

·
Registered
438 Posts
The same thing happened to me!

To fix it I deleted my bookmarks and let MOBI build the table of contents for me, using the documents Headers.

- I went into my word document and stripped out all the bookmarks
- Then, I set headings for the title of each chapter to: "Heading 1 or H1"
- After that, I imported the document into MOBI.
- Next, I clicked the Table of Contents creator and told it how to find my chapter headings.

• First Level: H1
  • Second Level: H2
  • Third Level: H3

When you build your prd file, MOBI will create a perfectly formatted Table of Contents using your headers. This seems to work better than using MS bookmarks. Not exactly sure why. ;D

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T.J. Dotson said:
The same thing happened to me!

To fix it I deleted my bookmarks and let MOBI build the table of contents for me, using the documents Headers.

- I went into my word document and stripped out all the bookmarks
- Then, I set headings for the title of each chapter to: "Heading 1 or H1"
- After that, I imported the document into MOBI.
- Next, I clicked the Table of Contents creator and told it how to find my chapter headings.

• First Level: H1
  • Second Level: H2
  • Third Level: H3

When you build your prd file, MOBI will create a perfectly formatted Table of Contents using your headers. This seems to work better than using MS bookmarks. Not exactly sure why. ;D
What about setting where the e-book will open? I really want it to open at the prologue, but it keeps opening at the title page.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
What about setting where the e-book will open? I really want it to open at the prologue, but it keeps opening at the title page.
Ryne Billings said:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix the problem with the book opening at the cover?
Title page and cover are two different things entirely. Which do you mean?

The book will open (or should open) at the beginning of whatever file you uploaded. If you inserted a picture of your cover at the beginning of the file, it will open there--I assume that's what you mean by opening at the cover. An inserted picture in the uploaded file is not required, though some authors do that.

If you want it to open at the prologue, then the prologue must be the first item in your file. Having that before your Title page/copyright page and Table of Contents (if included) seems strange.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D.A. Boulter said:
Title page and cover are two different things entirely. Which do you mean?

The book will open (or should open) at the beginning of whatever file you uploaded. If you inserted a picture of your cover at the beginning of the file, it will open there--I assume that's what you mean by opening at the cover. An inserted picture in the uploaded file is not required, though some authors do that.

If you want it to open at the prologue, then the prologue must be the first item in your file. Having that before your Title page/copyright page and Table of Contents (if included) seems strange.
I meant title page.

And other authors have there books open up at chapter one, despite the fact that the cover, title page, copyright page, table of contents, etc. are before it, so it has to be possible.

I upload a .mobi file.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts