Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, forgive me for posting this, but I have been a little concerned, and I would like some input from others (and honestly, most of the people and responses here seem nicer than on Amazon's forum, LOL).

My father bought a Kindle for me for Christmas.  I am on the brink of sending it back because of some fears I have.  I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions or simply discuss this.

One fear I have is that the Kindle is not that sturdy of a device.  I guess what I mean is that it seems that I read a lot of issues that require people to replace the Kindle within the year warranty time frame.  If this happens, does the warranty get extended, or are you under the same warranty?

In addition, I have read cases in which some people had their Kindle break (through no fault of theirs) a few days after the warranty expired.  This obviously worries me.  I know the Kindle has only been around a little over a year, so I'm not sure about the reliablity of the device, as there hasn't been that much time to test whether it lasts well beyond the warranty.  Does anyone have any input on this?  How many people do you know who have had their Kindle break, either before or after the warranty?

My last concern is that if my Kindle does break after the warranty, I will lose all of my books that I have purchased on it.  I realize I could buy another Kindle, but honestly, I'm not sure I could afford it.  If that is the case, then any book I purchased will be gone for good. 

Has anyone else experienced these concerns? 

·
Registered
366 Posts
If it breaks after warranty you can buy a new one for I believe $159.  They don't charge you full price for the replacement.  If all you have on it are amazon downloaded books then yes you will lose them if you don't replace the kindle due to the DRM on the books.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Only a few folks have had their Kindles past the one year warrenty. I have read a few posts about them breaking at Amazon but not that many. Remember, people posting on boards tend to either love what theya re posting about or hate what they are posting about. Many of the "My Kindle broke" posts have been people who knocked them off of tables, put a heavy item on them, had a dog eat them, or something along those lines. There have been a few posts saying that something just went wrong with their Kindle after the warrenty expired but I have a feeling that those are the exception and not the rule. In all cases, Amazon has given the customer the oppertunity to replace the broken Kindle with a new one for $180. There is no way to know how long Amazon will continue this practice.

If you buy a Kindle book from Amazon it can only be read on the Kindle. So if you were to break your Kindle and choose not to replace it, you would not be able to read those books. Any book that you download for free from any number of sites, will be available in other e-book formats. I understand that there are other websites that you can buy books in non-Kindle format and reformat for the Kindle. I would guess that those can be read on another e-reader device.

When I received my Kindle, I was worried about how much I would like it because I enjoyed reading the dead tree books. Then I held it, smiled, and read like a fiend. I have not picked up a dead tree book since October 1, when my Kindle arrived, and I can't think of a reason to pick up a dead tree book. To me, the Kindle is natural, comfortbale, and easy to use. I love carrying all my books with me, being able to change books easily, and not having to worry about going to the store to pick up new books or what to do with my old books. You do not seem to be having that type of experience or even something close to that.

I have read your posts over at Amazon and not responded there. The way I read your posts, you are trying to convince yourself to keep the Kindle or maybe move to the Sony E-Book. Based on what you have posted there and the fact that you have had the Kindle for almost a month now and are still worried about it, I would say that the Kindle (or any e-book reader) is not for you. You like the feel of a book, you like collecting books, you enjoy going to the used book store.  The other option is that you are so over thinking this that you are not able to enjoy your Kindle.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've had my Kindle since mid-October, 2008 and have not had a minute of trouble with it. And I read hours a day, every day, on it.

I don't know how many thousands of Kindles have been sold yet. But I have a feeling you will be hearing of all the ones that people had problems with, and not hear much about those like me who never have a problem.

With the Kindle being such an expensive electronic device, I did get a warranty from Square Trade for three years. It covers everything, even if I drop it out of my own sheer carelessness and break it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would take into consideration, the vast number of Kindles sold, and then compare it to the number of alleged broken or damaged Kindles. I have had my Kindle since October 2008 and have had no problems. I've ordered my sister one also.

Amazon will replace the Kindle at no charge if the problem is not user related. If it is user related, then the replacement fee is $180, I think. I'm not sure about the continuation of the warranty versus a new  warranty. Their Customer Service Department is outstanding so if you have any questions, give them a call.

Most Kindle owners keep their Kindles in a cover for added protection. I rarely take mine out except to change covers.

I wouldn't trade my Kindle for any amount of money.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think that its just like any electronic device. Thousands are sold and some will break early, some later, some after the warranty is up and some will go on forever. There have been an awful lot of these sold and most people are not gonna get on a message board just to say theyve had theirs for a long time and everythings fine. The ones who post are usually the ones with problems and there are a few of those but not as many as you'd think with the amount amazon has sold and if there were major problems with the kindle. The same thing happens with cars and everything else electronic or with moving parts. Everything breaks at some point eventually so you always take a risk when buying things. The choice is yours but after having my kindle for awhile i absolutely love it and if anything did go wrong id get it replaced in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have not had any trouble at all with my Kindle. I also got insurance through Square Trade.com for accidental damage or device failure. It isn't expensive at all. If you have that many concerns I suggest you get insurance.

I can not think of ONE reason I would return my Kindle. It is a great reading device with awesome features, WN and the dictionary being two of my favorite. I can't think of any other device that brings me as much enjoyment on a daily basis as my Kindle.

Please go to The Intro/Welcome Thread and tell us more about yourself. :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ProfCrash,

Thanks for the response, and thanks for being so kind (thanks to everyone else for being kind, as well).

I am having  hard time, and I am at a time right now where many factors are playing into this, which make it even harder.

For example, I have a baby on the way, so my office (where I have kept my three bookshelves full of books) is being converted to a nursery.  Obviously, then, I am losing most of my room for books, and I will have to pack up many of them.  With the Kindle, I am virtually unlimited in how many I can have.  Obviously, with a baby coming, I will not have as much time to read, though, so I'm hesitant to keep a device that is so expensive if I'm not going to be able to use it that much.  

As with anything, there are great aspects of the Kindle, and there are aspects that are not so great.  I never expected to have a device with no cons.  LOL  I also don't normally have such a hard time making a decision like this.  This is the first time, actually, that I have gone back and forth this much.  Every time I make a decision, I feel like it is wrong, no matter which way I choose.  LOL

I did decide that it is Kindle or no e-reader for me.  I don't particularly care for the Sony.  The few benefits (such as size and cost) don't really outweigh the other benefits of Kindle (searchability, etc).  

I may be overthinking it.  That's very possible.  

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To those who have suggested the Square Trade warranty, I am past having the Kindle for 30 days, so I cannot purchase it now.  Oh, well.

I also do realize that you take a risk with any purchase.  Obviously the more money something costs, the more of a risk you take.  What to do?  LOL

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
mwvickers said:
ProfCrash,

Thanks for the response, and thanks for being so kind (thanks to everyone else for being kind, as well).

I am having hard time, and I am at a time right now where many factors are playing into this, which make it even harder.

For example, I have a baby on the way, so my office (where I have kept my three bookshelves full of books) is being converted to a nursery. Obviously, then, I am losing most of my room for books, and I will have to pack up many of them. With the Kindle, I am virtually unlimited in how many I can have. Obviously, with a baby coming, I will not have as much time to read, though, so I'm hesitant to keep a device that is so expensive if I'm not going to be able to use it that much.

As with anything, there are great aspects of the Kindle, and there are aspects that are not so great. I never expected to have a device with no cons. LOL I also don't normally have such a hard time making a decision like this. This is the first time, actually, that I have gone back and forth this much. Every time I make a decision, I feel like it is wrong, no matter which way I choose. LOL

I did decide that it is Kindle or no e-reader for me. I don't particularly care for the Sony. The few benefits (such as size and cost) don't really outweigh the other benefits of Kindle (searchability, etc).

I may be overthinking it. That's very possible.

Thanks for the input.
I think with your situation this is a decision that only you can make. Good luck and congrats on the new baby! I would think if you aren't comfortable keeping it and you are feeling guilty you should return it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
mwvickers said:
To those who have suggested the Square Trade warranty, I am past having the Kindle for 30 days, so I cannot purchase it now. Oh, well.

I also do realize that you take a risk with any purchase. Obviously the more money something costs, the more of a risk you take. What to do? LOL
You can still get Square Trade for device failure but not for accidental.

·
Registered
326 Posts
mwvickers said:
To those who have suggested the Square Trade warranty, I am past having the Kindle for 30 days, so I cannot purchase it now. Oh, well.

I also do realize that you take a risk with any purchase. Obviously the more money something costs, the more of a risk you take. What to do? LOL
I see that you got it for a gift. That puts you way ahead of alot of people cause you didnt have that initial big investment. So all your really talking about is buying books for it and kindle books are cheaper than paperback, plus there are just so many bargain priced and free books out there both new and classics that its hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thejackylking said:
If it breaks after warranty you can buy a new one for I believe $159. They don't charge you full price for the replacement. If all you have on it are amazon downloaded books then yes you will lose them if you don't replace the kindle due to the DRM on the books.
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am waiting on my Kindle and find this an interesting topic. Am I correct in my assumption that if something should happen to my kindle and I either buy a new one or have a replacement furnished to me by Amazon that I will be able to re-download the books I previously purchashed through Amazon? I thought I read on another thread that up to six Kindles (registered in the same family or email address) could share books purchased through Amazon. Is this correct. I usually avoid extend warranties but might consider one on this device. Previously I have only purchased extended warrranties on big screen High Def televisions and have recouped my investment many times over on repairs to the sets.

Thank you for any clarification you can give me on this.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
mwvickers said:
Wouldn't that also put you past the "return" date?

I think you are worrying too much about something that most likely will not happen. Are you enjoying reading on the Kindle now?

Congrats on the baby. It's a lot easier to read to a baby in your arms with the Kindle. One-handed reading of a dtb is very difficult. There are a lot of books available for Kindle that you can read to the baby such as Mother Goose.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dallas said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am waiting on my Kindle and find this an interesting topic. Am I correct in my assumption that if something should happen to my kindle and I either buy a new one or have a replacement furnished to me by Amazon that I will be able to re-download the books I previously purchashed through Amazon? I thought I read on another thread that up to six Kindles (registered in the same family or email address) could share books purchased through Amazon. Is this correct. I usually avoid extend warranties but might consider one on this device. Previously I have only purchased extended warrranties on big screen High Def televisions and have recouped my investment many times over on repairs to the sets.

Thank you for any clarification you can give me on this.
Amazon keeps all your book purchases in your media library so you can download them all again at any time. No problem. But you might want to keep copies of all the free books you get either on your computer or on a SD Card so you wont lose them.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Congrats on the baby! I saw that you were thinking of a diaper bag for your Kindle carrying case. If you go to the accessories board here I think you might find osme advice on inexpensive but nice looking Kindle bags for men that you can use before your baby is born.

I love my Kindle. I know that I will eventually have to replace it because it is an electronic device. I figure the money I am saving on books will more the cover the replacement cost when that time comes. Given the stories I have heard of Kindles surviving falls and other accidents makes me think that it will be a while before I have to worry about replacing the Kindle. That said, there are folks here who have come up with some nice ways of saving money for their books (and a possible replacement fund). The most common is saving loose change. When the jar is full, bring it to a coinstar machine were you can cash it in for an Amazon.com gift certificate. This way you get the full amount of money (there is no transaction fee if you get one of the gift certificates) and you can use that money for buying your books or anything else you might need on Amazon.

At least one person is paying themselves for laundry. They set up a jar next to the laundry machine and put in the money they would use at a laundry mat in a jar. The money then is used for purchasing books on Amazon.

Most folks have been asking for Amazon.com gift certificates for special occassions. I know I received $150 worth of gift certificates for Christmas this year.

Another possibility is to set aside the difference that you would have paid for a dead tree book and the Kindle book. It should add up to a decent amount of money pretty quickly.

If you get creative, I think you will find that the money for a replacement is not so tough to find if you need to replace the Kindle.

Here is my question for you, are you enjoying reading on the Kindle? If you are then stop worrying about it breaking and enjoy reading on your Kindle. If you are not enjoying reading on it, then it is not for you. If you decide to keep it, keep it in a safe place and treat it like you would any expensive electronic device. You should be ok.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lizzy said:
Amazon keeps all your book purchases in your media library so you can download them all again at any time. No problem. But you might want to keep copies of all the free books you get either on your computer or on a SD Card so you wont lose them.
Thanks, that's a great idea on storing the free books on an SD card. I'll definitely do that.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gertiekindle said:
Wouldn't that also put you past the "return" date?
No. I got it during the Christmas time frame, so I have a few more days (until Jan. 31).

I think you are worrying too much about something that most likely will not happen. Are you enjoying reading on the Kindle now?
Yes and no. I like it, but I love books. It's an issue right now over whether I can be satisfied with the Kindle until I can get a bigger house, and therefore have more room for books. LOL

Congrats on the baby. It's a lot easier to read to a baby in your arms with the Kindle. One-handed reading of a dtb is very difficult. There are a lot of books available for Kindle that you can read to the baby such as Mother Goose.

Let us know what you decide.
Thanks, and I will.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I knew within the first 24 hours that I had my kindle that there would be no going back to life without it.  If you've already had it for over a month and are still wavering on whether keep it or not, an e-reader may not be the thing for you?  Its all about what you think and feel.  But also take into account the fact that you are losing space in which to physically keep books.  So you can keep the kindle and buy and keep all the books you want, you can buy dead tree books and sell them back to a used book store, or you can rent books from the library.  It's all about whats right for you.  I will tell you that my husband love my kindle for the simple fact that there are no longer books lying all over the house, and he no longer has to find of make more space so that I can keep them all.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rla1996 said:
I knew within the first 24 hours that I had my kindle that there would be no going back to life without it. If you've already had it for over a month and are still wavering on whether keep it or not, an e-reader may not be the thing for you? Its all about what you think and feel. But also take into account the fact that you are losing space in which to physically keep books. So you can keep the kindle and buy and keep all the books you want, you can buy dead tree books and sell them back to a used book store, or you can rent books from the library. It's all about whats right for you. I will tell you that my husband love my kindle for the simple fact that there are no longer books lying all over the house, and he no longer has to find of make more space so that I can keep them all.
Good points regarding space. My wife only wishes that I would stop buying hard copies. Even with the Kindle, however, I would still buy hard copies of some (if not many) books that I really like.

By the way, thanks to everyone for helping dialogue with me. To some it may seem stupid to even bring up questions like this (as personal of a decision as it is), but dialoguing helps me work through the decision and sort out my thoughts/feelings, so thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts