Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you think that the Kindle 2 should have been released at a later date? I ask because I have noticed that many customers, which inludes me, have been complaining about problems involving contrast, light text, text fading (one of my problems--it even required a replacement), etc.

I haven't had many problems with my Kindle 1, though. The only problem I could think of with my First-Generation Kindle was that it had frozen on me a couple of times, but a simple reset fixed it.

I love my Kindle 2, but I think Amazon should have taken their time before rushing a product out into the market, especially when it has had quite a few flaws. If these problems can be fixed without a recall, then I don't think it's a big deal, but I think that we should get what we pay for.

Sometimes rushing to get a product out can hurt you rather than help you. I think.

I'm sure there are many of you who know a lot more than me about marketing strategies, but this is just a thought I wished to share. So what do you think?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think, unfortunately, that we've gotten into a mindset that a new product or version needs to be released every 12 months. There was a time when this wasn't true but that's the situation we are in now. So yes, I agree with you...I think Amazon felt rushed or pressured to get a new Kindle out in order to generate buzz and awareness but I don't think it was necessary.

In my mind, the K2 is a "lateral" upgrade vs. an "up" upgrade. In other words, it has some improvements that I like (ability to save dictionary words to the clippings file) but they got rid of lots of things I miss (all the alt shortcuts). Frankly, if Amazon had not given in to marketing pressure, I think they could have skipped ver. 2 and waited to release version 3 sometime later this year. But they probably felt like they had a very small window of opportunity to get the new version out there and keep the brand alive in people's minds, so K2 was announced on February 9th and released two weeks later.

I am very happy with my K2 and fortunately (knock wood) I haven't had any of the problems that others have reported. Proportionally, I suspect the number of problems with K2 are similar to what was reported with K1. They just seem to be having different kinds of problems.

L

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
ElLector said:
How many of you think that the Kindle 2 should have been released at a letter date? I ask because I have noticed that many customers, which inludes me, have been complaining about problems involving contrast, light text, text fading (one of my problems--it even required a replacement), etc.

I haven't had many problems with my Kindle 1, though. The only problem I could think of with my First-Generation Kindle was that it had frozen on me a couple of times, but a simple reset fixed it.

I love my Kindle 2, but I think Amazon should have taken their time before rushing a product out into the market, especially when it has had quite a few flaws. If these problems can be fixed without a recall, then I don't think it's a big deal, but I think that we should get what we pay for.

Sometimes rushing to get a product out can hurt you rather than help you. I think.

I'm sure there are many of you who know a lot more than me about marketing strategies, but this is just a thought I wished to share. So what do you think?
I wouldn't draw any hasty conclusions, as we don't have anything except anecdotal evidence from a very limited sample of Kindle customers to go by. If Amazon has sold 600,000+ Kindles, and 4,000 users hang around the various forums, that's not a very representative sample.

Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jmiked said:
I wouldn't draw any hasty conclusions, as we don't have anything except anecdotal evidence from a very limited sample of Kindle customers to go by. If Amazon has sold 600,000+ Kindles, and 4,000 users hang around the various forums, that's not a very representative sample.

Mike
I wasn't sure of the sales numbers, but you do have a point. I guess I was one of the unlucky ones.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine either; nor have the other 4 K2-ers that I know.  When all the contrast and text talk started, I went round and round on my Kindle and came to the conclusion that there was a batch of bad ones out there.  Remember those 'inspected by' tags that used to be on everything?  Maybe they should have brought those back!  :p

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I live in non whispernet land normally not a problem. My K2 will not connect or be recognized  by my computer this is a proble,. My first two calls to cs say its a computer problem. I spent h o u r s with that cs (its also in warranty) they concluded its a kindle problem. so back with Kindle they are researching and i should expect a call back by march 20. currently my kindle runs out of battery within 3 days, remember no whispernet so that is not on. CS had me reset and try again to use till it shuts down and if within 3 day I call back. I wish they would just fix it. funny thing I was able to connect via USB port the 2 out 4 times tried so I do have my titles I started with. I also have a working K1. I gave that to my husband and though it is available to read I want my K2 my k1 is not the same. So yes they could have waited a bit. I think this question is going to depend on the working kindle. meanwhile I have 2 new titles that I can not get on it :(
Sylvia

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have had no issues with my k2 so far.....knock on wood. I do agree though that if Amazon made 600,000 K2's theres bound to be some that are defective. Just luck of the draw I guess- good thing Amazon has good CS

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know that it is the K2 per se.  I have a friend that got a K1 last summer and she has had 3 replacements (total of 4 K1's).  I don't think it is a design problem that would have been solved by waiting.  These are mass produced electronics made in China and there are going to be some quality control inconsistencies.  It's not a new phenomenon.  Luckily CS from Amazon is usually pretty good. 

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Oh I have faith that it well be good in the end, it is still true, I am not real patient. I have a tree of life, Oberon coming at the end of the month. I hope to be all settled by then.
Sylvia

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
With a new model of anything, there are usually things that need to be ironed out. As was stated earlier, the good news is that Amazon customer service does a very good job.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey ak rain, are you another Southeast Alaskan? I've only found one location here in Juneau where Whispernet works: the airport.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
KMA said:
Hey AK rain, are you another Southeast Alaskan? I've only found one location here in Juneau where Whispernet works: the airport.
I am in Gustavus. No Whispernet here but we come over to Juneau 2-3 times a year so I am excited about coming to try that. the k2 map shows all Juneau covered. you only found it at the airport? not a problem for me -I always start and end there but not so good for Juneau residents. Are you a Juneau resident?
Sylvia

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It happens a lot of times with new technology, in cars and such when they switch to something new it takes a while to get all the kinks straightened out.  In a case of a K2, they really had no excuses and I keep reading about the defective rates, which are ridiculous.  K1 is a much better overall product me thinks. 

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my K2.

I'd be interested to know if the new design and expanded WhisperNet coverage (Alaska wasn't included for K1) make the K2 more successful than the K1.

For the record, Alaska folks, Anchorage coverage is good. Haven't been anywhere in town yet that I didn't get a signal. I think the MatSu is not so lucky.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I heard problems with K1 too I did not have problems there. I am confident my problems with k2 will be solved. I would still be with k1 but it made too much sense to get a second in my family at least that is what I keep saying. I am excited to try my k2 in Juneau, AK
Sylvia

·
Registered
740 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine.  And the only reason I even heard about the Kindle was because of K2, so I guess Amazon's marketing worked.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
kevindorsey said:
It happens a lot of times with new technology, in cars and such when they switch to something new it takes a while to get all the kinks straightened out. In a case of a K2, they really had no excuses and I keep reading about the defective rates, which are ridiculous. K1 is a much better overall product me thinks.
I'm curious where you have read about the defect rates. Link?

·
Registered
286 Posts
ak rain said:
I am in Gustavus. No Whispernet here but we come over to Juneau 2-3 times a year so I am excited about coming to try that. the k2 map shows all Juneau covered. you only found it at the airport? not a problem for me -I always start and end there but not so good for Juneau residents. Are you a Juneau resident?
Sylvia
Gustavus is gorgeous! We've visited friends there a few times and loved it. The K2 map does show all of Juneau covered, but I think that they were counting on cell towers that are not built yet. We live in downtown Juneau and, since we're kind of sandwiched between mountains, signals of all kinds can be tricky.

It's neat to see other Alaskans.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts