Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've noted that quite a few of authors like to make trailers for their books, so I've been thinking about trailers quite a bit lately.
Naturally, I've managed to gain a few questions about them.

So here are my questions:

Do you find them to be useful, or do you just do them for fun?

How do you make your trailers, provided that you make them? I imagine that there are several ways to make them.

And what rules do you have to follow when you make one? I've noticed that they tend to use pictures and music, so the legalities of it have crossed my mind a time or two.

839 Posts
I had a friend do my videos for Hemlock Lake and other books (posted on YouTube and Trailerspy). He shot the video and used music that he got with no string attached. (Yes, you need to be careful you don't use something trademarked, copyrighted, etc.)

I've had about 3,000 hits altogether, but have no idea if that has translated into any sales because I haven't gotten any feedback.

Still, the creative process was fun. So if you have the time and the talent, why not go for it?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I made mine for my kickstarter campaign and it took a little time but wasn't too complicated. It helps if you break what you want to say into frames if you are going to go with the picture/text/music route. Then I just created a set of images in photoshop and added the text I needed in there. I used whatever came with my computer to make the actual video (microsoft movie maker or something).

It was fun, and a side benefit is that making the video helped my condense my synopsis down too. I could see how it might be good to have one (if it's well done) for the video area on Amazon pages maybe. Of course, given my amatuer attempt, it makes me want to have an actual "professional" video created :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I don't know if they make a bit of difference, but I have a lot of fun making them. :)

Some tips: Keep it simple. Really simple. The more images and crap you put in it, the more amateur it is going to look. Also, try to keep it under two minutes long. Heck, try to keep it under one minute. Much longer than that, and people are going to get bored.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I make my own trailers because it's fun.  Not sure if it leads to sales, but it's something to help. 

I use Movie Maker, pretty easy.  I write and record all the music so I don't have to worry about copyright stuff.  For the pictures I usually use pictures I've taken... or just color and text.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
I do them for fun. I don't think they've done anything for my sales but I just enjoy making them. I use Windows Movie Maker and either buy stock photos from www.dreamstime.com or video clips from www.istockphoto.com (Still images are way cheaper than video clips but the clips are more interesting). If you're strapped for cash you might even use public domain images. You can either buy your music from istock or you can get it free from www.incompetech.com. As far as the legalities go, just be sure and give credit to Kevin MacLeod at the end of the trailer if you use incompetech.

Good luck!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided that I'm not going to do one. Thanks for all the input, but it seems to be too much of a hassle. The reason I decided to use cover art that an art student friend did for me instead of modifying stock art was because I have no talent with anything relating to computers. The same applies here. It's better to have no trailer than a poorly made one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts