Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about the skins I hear discussed here. Are they decals that you stick on parts of your Kindle?  Are they durable?  Do they leave residue?  Are they difficult to put on?  What's the best brand?  Thanks for your patience with all my questions.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Hi,
Yes, you could call them decals. I would say they are durable, they do not really show finger prints and they will protect your Kindle from getting dirty. They are pretty easy to put on, if you make a mistake, you can easily lift and correct. You just want to be careful not to stretch them out. They do not leave any residue at all.
Decal girl is the only one I know if other than tego, which is a do it yourself skin site. I have had both and like both. Though neither have K2 designs yet.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
for the K1 or the upcoming k2?
The brands used for K1 are tego and decalgirl.
tego just came out with their kindle skins not long ago, but i don't know much about it. I have two DecalGirl skins (blue flower burst and zen revisited.) and love them. With the screensavers that comes with the skins, its easier to attach and line the skin on the kindle. They don't leave a residue. DecalGirl is widely used here. Many members have skins for their phones and laptops from the brand and the company's customer service is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vegas_Asian said:
for the K1 or the upcoming k2?
The brands used for K1 are tego and decalgirl.
tego just came out with their kindle skins not long ago, but i don't know much about it. I have two DecalGirl skins (blue flower burst and zen revisited.) and love them. With the screensavers that comes with the skins, its easier to attach and line the skin on the kindle. They don't leave a residue. DecalGirl is widely used here. Many members have skins for their phones and laptops from the brand and the company's customer service is pretty good.

Thank you for the info. I will be waiting to see if decalgirl makes them for the Kindle 2. I'm wondering, do you have those two designs on two different Kindles or can one change the skin to fit their mood? I'm thinking they're probably not that easy to change out.

Also, does anyone find them distracting while reading? And, if you use the provided matching screen saver, do you give up all the other screensavers?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I switch between the two skins. I only have one kindle. switch between the two at least twice. (which takes a bit of patience and a steady hand)

Don't find them distracting, after awhile you get used to it. It also helped me get some reading done when I read in public. People kept on asking me about my kindle and if it was "Book thing from Oprah". After putting the skin on the number of people who ask about it has decreased.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
DecalGirl will be working on designs for K2. It will take them a couple of weeks once they get their hands on one. I don't know about Tego, but I'm sure they're probably working on them as well.

I've had 4 different Kindle skins: Her Abstraction, Crest, Flower Burst Blue, and Night Lady. Of those, I did find Crest distracting. I accidentally tore Her Abstraction when I was trying to switch it out. They're not all that easy to trade out, but I know some people do. I tend to leave one on until I get tired of it ad want something new.

The skins are pretty easy to put on. It just takes a little patience. They're very durable, stick great, but don't leave any residue when you take them off. All in all, I've had nearly 2 dozen of them for various electronic devices.

Yes, if you add the screensaver that matches the skin, you won't get the built in screensaver. It doesn't delete them, just overrides them. If you delete the custom screensaver, you'll have the built in ones.

PSPHOME is a 15% off coupon. SAVER is for free shipping on orders over $30.

If you look through the Kindle skins and don't find anything to your liking, look at the designs for other devices. They're very good about requests (I've requested several laptop skins be made into Kindle skins) They'll forward the request to the Art Department and if the design works for that device, they'll make it available.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info!  That's why I love my Kindlers!  Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Okay, I have to ask this...

What is the deal with the screen when using Skin covers? I keep seeing that the design continues onto the screen. Is it a screen protector?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts