Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I write for children but my current WIP, a story that won't let me alone until I write it (is there such a thing as being stalked by a story?), is a paranormal romance.

I was thinking about going with a different name for it, possibly a variation of my own (maiden name vs. married name) to keep the two audiences separate, what do you think?

Also, I've looked around in stock photo sites, to start shopping around for a cover, the results have been dismal.
My main characters are an interracial couple, she's Italian and he's Chinese (or, at least, looks Chinese, no he isn't a dragon...) looks like there's very little available along those lines.

Would an illustrated cover be acceptable for the genre? I know Patricia Briggs has painted covers but that's more Urban Fantasy that Paranormal Romance, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a YA paranormal series idea thats on my bucket list to write. My protags, a brother and sister are mixed race chinese-caucasian. I too looked at stock for the best part a week last year and didnt really have much luck. I came to the conclusion that I'll probably have to go with an Illustrator.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Maybe you can find a stock photo of a guy where you can't see his face. I had to do that for one of my upcoming contemporary romances when I couldn't find a single image of a guy that looked like I wanted.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would go with a different name so you don't confuse your audience.

I second whoever suggested using the body but covering the face- either with your title or name. If you could find a cover artist that could give you what you want, that would be ideal, but if you can't- cover the face.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, a different name it is, then.  :)

As to the cover problem...personally, if a painted cover isn't a big no-no in the genre I'd rather go with that than a photo with no face, one of my pet pevees is the dearth non-Caucasian characters on book covers, so I'd rather not 'hide' my Chinese MC...

-alex- let me know when your series comes out, I'll read it. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with hiding the face or you could just use the bottom half of the face to hide hair and eye color. I usually use DepositPhotos.com and can normally find something to work with if i'm willing to chop off part of the models.

G

·
Rare to see an illustrated cover in the genre.

Having the correct looking characters are not important as long as they can pass for those characters. Really you should make / buy your cover first before you begin the story. That's what readers see first, and what gets them to click on your book in the first place.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have some books in another genre that would not be good to mix with my adult paranormal romances. I went with another pen name. Best thing to do I think.

Plus, Melody does really good covers. She did mine, and the heads of the people are cut off. People can then imagine what they want. I think that works best.

Here is another cover designer that is reasonable and really good. Here's a thread for Amber Designs: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,205916.0.html

Once you go paranormal romance, it's hard to go back. The other genre I write is fantasy as well. So, I'm having way too much fun with the paranormal. Though sometimes I miss the fairies, unicorns, and talking cat character from my other books. With different pen names, you can do it all. ;)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
CadyVance said:
Have you had a look here? Melody has some good UF/PR covers: http://ebookindiecovers.com/premade-ebook-covers-fantasy/
Thank you to Cady and Marilyn for the references. Yes - Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy is one of the top genres I design for, probably because it is my favorite genre to read as well! My Paranormal Premade page which includes Paranormal Romance covers, YA Fantasy covers, Urban Fantasy and a few High Fantasy ones too receives a couple of new covers every week, depending on what inspiring images I can find:

http://ebookindiecovers.com/premade-ebook-covers-fantasy/

·
Registered
398 Posts
Seleya said:
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, a different name it is, then. :)

As to the cover problem...personally, if a painted cover isn't a big no-no in the genre I'd rather go with that than a photo with no face, one of my pet pevees is the dearth non-Caucasian characters on book covers, so I'd rather not 'hide' my Chinese MC...

-alex- let me know when your series comes out, I'll read it. :)
I'm not 100% sure if you meant YA PNR, or Adult PNR, either way, I've seen painted covers for both. If you would like a couple of artists to look into, let me know and I'll pass on some names.

Thank you for your interest in reading my series! :D
However it is a long way off, I'm afraid. I'm currerntly working on my debut series, which is again YA PNR. I hope to publish the first book in the third quarter of the year.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awfully sorry for not answering, I missed the last two posts...

Melody, I'll keep you in mind, I've ideas for a few books queued, I'll definitely need more covers. :).

Alex, it's adult 'clean' paranormal. Illustration would definitely be a relief, I am lucky enough to have one in-house (literally, my husband is a pro).

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I would avoid an illustrated cover.

Most PNR covers I have seen in the top 100 use photos and photomanips. There are stock photos of Asian men you could get for a cover. A designer could create a great cover with some of them. Search under "handsome Asian men" or "handsome Japanese men" or something similar. I found a handsome Malaysian man in my search on Shutterstock. Look at the covers on Amazon of the top 100 Paranormal Romance novels to see what is popular and if you want to sell, don't stray too far from what is expected and preferred. JMO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Before I'd go with an illustrated cover, I'd go with a "symbol" cover--some object that reflects something important from the story. Like the Twilight covers, or the Fifty Shades covers. Put a paranormal-feeling spin on it via typeface and color choices.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Seleya said:
I was thinking about going with a different name for it, possibly a variation of my own (maiden name vs. married name) to keep the two audiences separate, what do you think?
Concur: separate names.

Also, I've looked around in stock photo sites, to start shopping around for a cover, the results have been dismal.
My main characters are an interracial couple, she's Italian and he's Chinese (or, at least, looks Chinese, no he isn't a dragon...) looks like there's very little available along those lines.
*foams at the mouth* this is precisely why there's a frigging horse on my cover. (though it is a lovely , lovely lovely horse.)

Your pain. I feel it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I say use a pen name to keep your audiences separate, since they're so different.

Also, I feel your pain on stock photos. My hero for my WIP is a ginger and my heroine is hispanic. Try finding THAT combo in a stock photo that fits "fun, sexy times romance with a serious issue." The book after that, my hero's half black/half white and my heroine's blonde. I'm having a really hard time finding that combo, too. Erg.

Like someone mentioned above, though, for PNR photomanip is pretty expected. I don't know that I would go with art (says the woman who bent contemporary romance cover conventions and used a heart-shaped baseball rather than a half naked man on her current cover).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fascinating food for thought, thank you everyone!

There's a sort of catch 22 with non-caucasian characters, we are often told they don't sell on covers, but if no one knows they aren't there how are those novels supposed to find their intended audience?

I am caucasian myself (at least I suppose) but if a novel has a Chinese MC I'm all over it, go figure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts