Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been looking at Radish, but am struggling to keep an open mind after finding virtually no information on their site.

Having googled around and searched this site, I'm still left with lots of pretty fundamental questions. If anyone has any answers, I'd be really grateful because right now I'm thinking it's not worth my time:

• How long are modules usually?
  • How do Radish pay non-US authors?
  • Anyone got a handle on demographics and tastes of the readers? Older posts here suggest they're mainly younger and into romance, but I'm wondering whether that has changed.
  • How time consuming is uploading books (splitting into 'modules' etc)?
  • Does dealing with them require constant communication (as with the Zon), or are they more sorted?

Thanks for any answers! ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a look at those links (thanks for looking them out for me) - not looking too positive.

So is anyone here actually putting their books on Radish and enjoying it?

PS @Bite the Dusty - every time I see your avatar I get Anya earworming me about bunnies being dangerous.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
The Wide for the Win group on Facebook has a number of people who are in Radish and some seem to be doing pretty well in it. It's very tropey from what I can gather.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have books on Radish, so I can answer your questions, but first I have questions. Were you invited to their platform? Have you applied to write for them? It's not like Amazon where you just throw your work up there. They vet all writers on their platform. You have to be approved.

To answer your questions.

I'm not sure what you mean by module. So you'll need to clarify. I have no idea what that refers to.

I'm not in the US. They pay me quarterly directly to my bank account. Usually within 10 days of the end of the quarter.

Demographics: I don't know for sure. I would assume mainly women with disposable income.

It takes me about 10-20 minutes to upload a book depending on its size.

I almost never hear from anyone at Radish. They send newsletters to their writers to assist with promo. They are very easy to deal with.

I make enough on Radish that I can spend time writing instead of working a full-time job. I currently work part time and spend the rest of my time writing. The great thing is that I don't have to compete with millions of other books or fuss about marketing.

But again, if you haven't applied or been invited to their site, you are wasting your time. They don't take just any writer because that writer is possibly interested.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses - very helpful.

CassieL said:
The Wide for the Win group on Facebook has a number of people who are in Radish and some seem to be doing pretty well in it. It's very tropey from what I can gather.
Will check out that group and report back on this thread.

Moe D said:
I'm not sure what you mean by module. So you'll need to clarify. I have no idea what that refers to.
Sorry, may have the terminology wrong. I thought module was what the called the chapter or blob of text that gets released each week (or whatever interval).

Moe D said:
But again, if you haven't applied or been invited to their site, you are wasting your time. They don't take just any writer because that writer is possibly interested.
Haven't applied yet - I like to know what I'm getting myself into before filling in forms ::)

·
Registered
145 Posts
i'm in the US hence i wasn't going to reply

but my experience is most like Moe's

payments are also quarterly in the US, not just for international, and we also have to be accepted or invited

people do get turned down, i've heard from several people recently who were

i'm sensing that Wide FB group is sending them more applicants than they need

i got accepted first time out on the basis of a very trope-heavy series... pitch your best stuff, not your leftovers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ditto what nightwork said. They turn down a lot of people. I have more than a few writer friends who were told that. And they are pretty good writers.

And I like that. Leftovers. Great way to describe it. People pay good money to read quality work on Radish, and that's why Radish wants your best work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for input so far.

According to the FB group Writing And Selling On Fiction Apps, Radish are "Primarily romance (steamy, paranormal, and very trope-y ones do best), young adult, LGBTQ, fantasy, sci fi, mystery". Now if Radish had just put something like that on their sign up page, they could have saved me some work (I don't write in those genres) and themselves some work too (because now they have to go to the trouble of checking and rejecting my application). But, you never know, maybe they'll like what I sent them :p

There are another couple of FB groups that may be useful to those who are or are thinking of being Radishers: Radish Fiction Writers and Radish Writers Advice & Tips

1 - 11 of 11 Posts