Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK finally got to play with my new K2 yesterday and I am having questions/concerns.

1st off the font.  The contrast between the grey background and the font seems to be a little to dull for me.  I can read it but I'm not thrilled with it.  I am on the fence about installing a hack or if I'm just old (I'm almost 38) and need to accept it's me and not the gadget.  Let me know your thoughts and if you have installed a font hack..if you have let me know which font worked best for you. 

2nd Is it safe to keep the screen saver on when you are not going to be returning to the book for a few hours or more?  I'm worried that the image will burn itself into the screen kinda like they say it does with computers.  For now I have been totally powering it down to avoid any issues but would rather not if it's not necessary.

3rd There really is no 3rd at this time..so I'll use it to say I LOVE IT!!! Can't seem to figure out why I would want to read a DTB ever again.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
fuzzykno said:
OK finally got to play with my new K2 yesterday and I am having questions/concerns.

1st off the font. The contrast between the grey background and the font seems to be a little to dull for me. I can read it but I'm not thrilled with it. I am on the fence about installing a hack or if I'm just old (I'm almost 38) and need to accept it's me and not the gadget. Let me know your thoughts and if you have installed a font hack..if you have let me know which font worked best for you.
The font hack is definitely worth it. It only takes seconds to install and you'll be amazed at the difference. The blog has links to Ted-San's site where the fonts can be downloaded.

http://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/04/hack-your-way-to-darker-kindle-fonts/

Here are the fonts:

https://sites.google.com/a/etccreations.com/kdesignworks/Home/font-install-files

I installed Helvetica2 and am very happy with it.
2nd Is it safe to keep the screen saver on when you are not going to be returning to the book for a few hours or more? I'm worried that the image will burn itself into the screen kinda like they say it does with computers. For now I have been totally powering it down to avoid any issues but would rather not if it's not necessary.
Yes, it's best to leave it in sleep mode. There was a report at Amazon that if you have a book open and turn it off, the page in the book will not be saved but if you put it to sleep, when you wake up the Kindle you'll come right back to where you were.

3rd There really is no 3rd at this time..so I'll use it to say I LOVE IT!!! Can't seem to figure out why I would want to read a DTB ever again.
It's a great device, isn't it? Welcome to the club.

L

1 - 3 of 3 Posts