Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot of ebooks. I really enjoy 'em.

However, I'm beginning to get tired of ebooks where it's obvious they haven't been professionally edited.

For those self-pubbed authors who have had their books edited. How did you find your editor and would you recommend her/him?

I'm looking for referrals I can trust and check references.

While I'm at it, I have the same set of questions when it comes to ebook cover artists...

Thanks,
Werner

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've been through three copyeditors, but I've finally found one I really like. She's a writer too, but she took the 18 month copyediting course and finished her certification. I highly recommend her. As far as content editing goes, my agent does that for me (she used to be an editor at St. Martins), and I have 3 published beta readers.

Same thing with cover artists. I have three different people I use, depending on the tone of the book or what exactly I'm looking for. They vary in price from $200-$450. I'd highly recommend any one of them.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My long time friend and partner in most crimes just happens to be an editor and great graphic designer. Outside of me, other clients of hers have been university professors and their works. Her background is in literary fiction though, so it works out between us.

Also, I would never use anybody that I wouldn't recommend.  :)

G

·
I used Everything Indie, and while they're very pleasant to work with and I'd recommend them for, say, formating issues, I wasn't very happy with the editing and proofing I got there. I intend to either use two different freelance editors or a team of two for the next release.

As for covers, it depends on the level of complexity. If you want a custom, "handmade" cover there's probably no better place to find artists than DeviantArt, though you'll need a lot of patience.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've collaborated with five visual artists and I have been more than pleased in each case.

Peter Ortiz created the cover painting for Cartier's Ring.
http://www.art-spire.com/en/art/superbes-portraits-de-guerriers-par-peter-ortizstunning-warriors-portraits-by-peter-ortiz/

ArtGUS did all the character portraits for LOST Identity.
http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2011/03/artgus-to-contribute-to-lost-identity.html#.UOArDXdNSTA

Gideon Slife did most of the illustrations for LOST Thought.
http://gideonslife.com/

Martin Woutisseth did many of the illustrations for Breaking White.
http://www.martinwoutisseth.com/

Chris Rallis is creating all the character illustrations for my new sci-fi novel, Deneb, to be published in March 2013.
http://www.rallisart.com/

These are all highly talented professional artists and their collaborative efforts do not come cheap. You can expect to pay $300 to $600 for a cover and somewhat lower amounts for drawings and sketches. But there is no question about the immense value they bring to the work.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It depends upon what you want or need. My 2nd editor/proof-reader was The Friendly Editor, and I wish she would have been my first one. (Sigh).

She actually is a librarian with an English major and all that, plus an avid reader and a book blogger. She doesn't take a lot of projects. But she seems eagle-eyed and picky, and since it is a second job, she's affordable for the budget minded here. The other advantage is that she doesn't have a lot of rules about the way the MS needs to be formatted for her to accept it - so that's convenient.

She won't do a major overhaul but will certainly find typos, awkward sentences, and story errors. And no, she doesn't have any special certification in editing or anything. So it is a compromise between budget and somebody with the certificates or a lot of actual novel publishing experiences. If I had 3x the money, I may have made a different choice, but I'm convinced I got good value.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
When I was looking for an editor for Black Sheep I checked out websites from editors, the genres they edit and I checked a topic here about editors who edit gay fiction. I ended up with a list of 6 people, of who I chose 1. And I have to admit, between putting in new errors into my story (speech formatting, comma's, etc.) and having an attitude towards me even though I explained that one of the things I can't help is my mix of British and American words in the story (they told me to "just read it yourself and fix it") I only found one that ticked all my boxes. She did proofreading for Black Sheep but I'll gladly use her for more extensive editing for my new stories, especially since she showed interest in the genre and I think that is also important.

I would very much recommend her since she also showed that she knew that even for writing style there is a huge difference between m/m romance and gay fiction and I really liked that about her.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I've used Red Adept to copyedit and proofread two of my novels and can't say enough great things about them. Count me in to give them a glowing reference.

http://redadeptpublishing.com/author-services/

Most important is to check out other work any freelancer has done, whether it is copyediting or cover design. I remember sending my first novel to someone who said they'd edit it for me for free. She was a professor with an MBA and taught college-level English and Journalism. It was a total waste of time and the book had to be sent through another edit. Just because someone has a degree (from years and years ago) does not make them an editor! You need to look at their experience with real-world editing, their reputation, prices, and dependability. I could care less about a fancy degree, I want to know they can edit a book!

Cover design is easier. Just look at their portfolio and then who have they designed for? Ask those authors if the designer was easy to work with. I've worked with PhatPuppy Art, Streetlight Graphics, and HumbleNations from this board. All were very good to work with. Pricing varies. But you get what you pay for, so for me I don't mind slapping down a few hundred bucks for what I know is the first chance to try to snag a new reader; my cover.

Cover designers mentioned:
http://www.goonwrite.com/
http://streetlightgraphics.com/
http://phatpuppyart.com/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Werner,

I published a bunch of short stories in print years ago (however all part of competitions, where the stories ended up in the winners circle) and did a test with one of my "old" books in eBook format just some weeks ago to gain some experience. So only limited experience. However, what I generally was quite happy with is having a bunch of beta readers, especially people like my father, who has no issues with being critical of my efforts and has spent his life reading. That doesn't make him a good writer per se, but it does provide him to spot very quickly where things are just not quite right. My personal opinion so far is: If he (along with two other persons) enjoys a read without stumbling over editing issues, it is good enough for 90 % of the people out there. But then, this might change should I ever endeavour to re-start my publishing efforts.
All the best,

Yves

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great info and recommends everyone!

This is a great start on my journey.

When you were looking for an editor, did you go strictly through referrals or was there somewhere else you found someone to work with?

Regards,
Werner

·
Registered
670 Posts
During the many months I was writing my latest novel, I'd take time to consult Kindleboard threads on this subject (do a search of the website; there are multiple threads on this). I screened those editors who (a) were repeatedly praised by KB members who'd used their services; and (b) fit my genre and other criteria (including price). I compiled a list of these people. Once I'd completed my manuscript, I interviewed a handful on my list. I ended up choosing RedAdept because of the strong positive feedback in this forum and because I hit it off with RedAdept's owner. All-in-all, my search was methodical and careful. I'm now in the middle of the editing process with RedAdept, so it's too early to make a judgement; but they follow a team approach whereby several sets of eyeballs go through your book.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
James Bruno said:
During the many months I was writing my latest novel, I'd take time to consult Kindleboard threads on this subject (do a search of the website; there are multiple threads on this). I screened those editors who (a) were repeatedly praised by KB members who'd used their services; and (b) fit my genre and other criteria (including price). I compiled a list of these people. Once I'd completed my manuscript, I interviewed a handful on my list. I ended up choosing RedAdept because of the strong positive feedback in this forum and because I hit it off with RedAdept's owner. All-in-all, my search was methodical and careful. I'm now in the middle of the editing process with RedAdept, so it's too early to make a judgement; but they follow a team approach whereby several sets of eyeballs go through your book.
Thanks James. I'll definitely try this approach.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a wonderful editor, Shelley Holloway of Holloway House. She has a great eye not only for all my typos, which all authors make, but making sure the story is on track, and things are consistent throughout. She is great about communicating along the way, sending emails or calling so I know exactly where she is in the process. I honestly can't imagine publishing a book without her.

Oh, as a bonus, she also can format the book in epub, mobi, etc., which is a godsend to me because I just want to focus on my writing, and not have to fiddle around with the formatting side of things.

Her prices are very reasonable. If you are interested, you can send her a sample chapter and she'll do an edit to show you how she does things.

http://hollowayhouse.me/

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I use Dawn at Tighterwriting.com.  She has a recent thread here somewhere in which she introduces herself to the Kindleboards community (though I understand her website is currently down for redesign.)  She has been editing my work for over a decade now, first handling my books for Simon & Schuster, Tor, and HarperCollins, and now working with me on my self-published works.  She's also handled editing for writers like Tim Kimmel, Jack Summers, Jon Merz, and more.

She does both content and copy editing at very reasonable rates, including a free five page sample edit.  Her email is [email protected]

-Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts